How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
clara
Reactions: 187

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Fortunately, when the mask wearing started, I found a bunch of dust masks (left from the time when I was still able to tile the basement in my house). In the meantime, I've tried a lot of different masks, but still find these dust masks to be the most comfortable ones. I put a paper tissue inside, so I can use them more than only once. Of course these masks are no PPE's, but better imo than simple tissue masks.
per aspera ad astra

zeuspaul
Reactions: 30

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:29 pm

It's not just Germany and their discipline. It is also most of Europe, Canada, China, South Korea, New York and a few other states mostly in the northeast that have managed to get the virus under control. They have all had to deal with the same evolving info. This obviously is not that complicated. What do the successful nations have in common? Perhaps they are listening to the scientists and the health care professionals.

zeuspaul

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:54 pm

I was also fortunate. I have several masks that I purchased to help me survive our wildfires. These are P95s. I believe the P are just as affective as the N masks but filter out some additional things (oil?) common to the construction industry. These feel better to me than the N95 masks I have seen because they have a good very rubber seal. They use a pair of replaceable filters. I also have P100 filters but I believe P95 is sufficient. The P100 restrict the air a little more. After using the mask I set it aside for a week or more before using it again. I believe this is enough time to kill the virus. I also wear a pair of safety goggles which seal around the eyes better than face shields.

I heard a knowledgeable person on TV say he sees people wearing their masks while driving in a car and that this is not necessary. I wear my mask while driving in a car but not when I first get in. I leave it on after its first use because removing and replacing it is potentially risky so I wait until I get home so I can remove it carefully and then immediately wash my hands.

Many of the test givers I see have much better protection than just a mask. Why don't many of our health care givers have better protection than a mask and sometimes a face shield? Is it because our supply chain is inadequate? I recall a hospital in Italy with complete hazmat like suits and a filtered air supply. The hospital said they had no reported staff cases of the virus in the midst of their epidemic. I think we need to take better care of our frontline workers.
clara wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:15 pm
Fortunately, when the mask wearing started, I found a bunch of dust masks (left from the time when I was still able to tile the basement in my house). In the meantime, I've tried a lot of different masks, but still find these dust masks to be the most comfortable ones. I put a paper tissue inside, so I can use them more than only once. Of course these masks are no PPE's, but better imo than simple tissue masks.

Sue_CT
Reactions: 525

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:39 pm

I think it is important to look at how and why a mask is being used in evaluating its effectiveness. Masks worn by health professionals and fire fighters are worn to protect the wearer from what is outside the mask. It stops contaminates from getting inside to you. The masks being worn by the general public may have some limited use in that way but are mostly being used to protects others from you, from your respiratory droplets getting outside the mask. That is why they require a high percentage of the population to wear them to be effective. So even if you looking a study of mask effectiveness, you need to look at what they were testing in the first place. Almost any mechanical obstruction that slows down or prevents droplets from leaving your mouth and nose and being propelled into the air will likely have some effectiveness in that regard, hence the use of cloth masks. When you take a breath, you are pulling in outside air and unless the mask filters out particles as small as a virus, it will not be as effective as a medical mask that is made to do that. A mask that is worn by the infected person only needs to decrease the number of viral particles and how far they are dispersed into the air to be effective. It has been standard practice in the hospital for those reasons, that when entering a room of any kind of infectious respiratory disease, from the Flu to Tb, when you enter the room, the medical person puts on the mask. When you need to take the patient out of the isolation room you put a mask on the PATIENT, since you can't mask everyone in the building in normal times.

worth1
Reactions: 1455

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:02 am

Dart Bowl in Austin is closing today after 62 years.
It was known for its homemade inchiladas.
It is a family owned bowling alley.
It was doing good till the vid showed up.
The place is owned by the people and they have two more bowling alleys.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

brownrexx
Reactions: 594

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:05 am

I am beginning to feel that it is hopeless.

In our country too many people are more interested in fighting and refusing to do what is needed because it may be inconvenient.

slugworth
Reactions: 81

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:41 am

Hug a Chinese day sort of backfired.

worth1
Reactions: 1455

Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Just heard on the news that the SA (San Antonio) area had to take over three thousand virus infections off the list.
They were never confirmed and just called probable.
Some of the people didn't even take the test.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

slugworth

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Metal prices are going up,so anything in metal containers will follow suit.

karstopography
Reactions: 402

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Tried to order a refrigerator, but all we want in the size we wanted were on back order until October. Three different vendors, same story. All related to covid.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

Sue_CT

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Yes, it is effecting just about everything. Where ever the current "hot spots" are, are either having forced close downs of businesses or large numbers of employees getting sick or with family members getting sick, and even the products those companies can produce are having trouble getting distributed. I have been looking for Hunts plain fire roasted tomatoes and Sobe Life Water in Raspberry for months, and they are just no where to be found. Even where restaurants are allowed to open, many are seeing few customers as people are leery of being indoors with other potentially infected people. The more people resist doing what has to be done to get it under control, the longer it will last in that area. NYC is talking about sending kids back to school, which they can do because they did the work that needed to be done to get it under control. The stupid of this whole thing is that doing what needs to be done to get it under control will be the only way to SAVE the economy so businesses can open, kids can go back to school, etc. Pretending it doesn't exist is going to devastate some places. If those placed closed initially for a few weeks and gotten it under control and then did a controlled open, more of them likely would survive. Places that opened too fast are now faced with the likelihood having to close down twice. Even if the first punch doesn't get you, the second one will likely knock you out. It is too bad. The loss of almost any business is not good. But all I can say is, hopefully, the business owners that had to close at least get to live. Staying open and dying of COVID is nothing to strive for, either.

By the way Worth, every time you say "the vid" it sounds like you talking about VD, lol. :lol:

Bower
Reactions: 799

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:53 pm

A lot of these wierd changes were unforeseeable to me... like appliances! Why a shortage of appliances. And yes, there's a local shortage of fridge, stove etc. It is a fact, I need a new fridge and stove and I'd like to get those before winter again. But there is nothing left in the stores.
Were people living on takeout or in restaurants before the "vid", and didn't have a fridge and stove at home? :?
Extra freezer, I can understand any hoarder needs that in a pandemic. :lol:
And whoever out there has bought up ALL the perlite, I hope it's working for you. :evil:
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

zeuspaul

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm

I also shopped for a Whirlpool refrigerator and none available. Available mid August (maybe). They did have a few that didn"t suit my needs.
karstopography wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:14 pm
Tried to order a refrigerator, but all we want in the size we wanted were on back order until October. Three different vendors, same story. All related to covid.

karstopography
Reactions: 402

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:22 pm

We will survive. This fridge was for a secondary refrigerator primarily for drinks. I’ve decided the one we currently have will be good enough. It’s an old garage fridge and the summer heat and lots of people opening it up constantly had me worried it was not cooling. Almost glad refrigerators aren’t available, saved me some money.

Now if I can find some clorox wipes...
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

slugworth

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:26 pm

war is hell

slugworth

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:29 am

Some stores had the covid hours for seniors,opened at 6 or 7am.
Now they reverted back to old hours and in some cases even later the BC (before covid) hours.

Labradors
Reactions: 127

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 am

That's horrible Slugworth. We depend on our early morning senior grocery shopping, even if we're not quite awake then!

Linda

slugworth

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Stop&shop used to have 2 separate entrances and exits.
They closed one and funnel people through the other.
Maybe for security?
Wee hour grocery shopping was no picnic.
A lot of times they didn't have produce or fruit fully stocked.
So you gained nothing shopping before the cock crows.
They don't put their rotisserie chicken out til noon.

Sue_CT

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:04 pm

I think the reason grocery stores in CT went to only one entrance was so that they could monitor how many people were in the store, which was limited to I think to 25 or 50% of what the normal capacity is, and it also helps to monitor for masks and to allow them to clean carts and know which carts have been sanitized and which have not. The one I saw that did it best around me was Big Y, who had a person sitting outside during all opening hours, sanitizing carts and monitoring who came in. Once in the store they had someone near the checkouts with floor marks at 6 foot distances, they put everyone in a single line in the center of the store marked with 6 foot distancing, and would wave someone forward into whatever checkout opened up a spot. There would be one customer checking out and standing at the end of the conveyor belt where you pay, and a second customer loading their cart at the other end, more than 6 feet away. All isles were marked with arrows as one way, which is a pain in the butt. But it really was a marvel of organization and demonstration of how it can really work. Everyone was masked and even keys on the credit/debit machines were frequently cleaned. I was impressed.

slugworth

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Big Y went to 1 entrance/exit right off the bat here.
But their shelves were empty long after other stores were almost back to pre covid.
Even today they don't have a lot of things.
No bouncer at the door like walmart has.

Return to “Area 51”