How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
slugworth
Reactions: 81

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:19 pm

I still have a ton of empties I have to cash in.

zeuspaul
Reactions: 30

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:44 pm

I went to Lowes nursery feeling somewhat safe because of the outdoor entry and exit. To my surprise I was forced to walk through the entire store just to get to the outdoor nursery. Needless to say I have not been back since.
slugworth wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:32 pm
Stop&shop used to have 2 separate entrances and exits.
They closed one and funnel people through the other.
Maybe for security?
Wee hour grocery shopping was no picnic.
A lot of times they didn't have produce or fruit fully stocked.
So you gained nothing shopping before the cock crows.
They don't put their rotisserie chicken out til noon.

karstopography
Reactions: 402

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Went to store today. Seems like there’s another idiotic run going on. Meat in short supply, cheese too. Other things. I quit.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

clara
Reactions: 187

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pm

The number of infected people is increasing, not much, but it is, and that makes me really angry because it would be so easy to avoid. There have been big marriage parties (with the allowed number of guests?) and apparently with (lots?) of alcohol, the guests did not care about masks and social distancing. It's holiday time here in Germany and although many Germans have decided to spend them here, some seem to have brought back the virus from who knows where. Fortunately we have enough tests and during many occasions, we have to give details about who we are, where we live and whom we were in contact with, so it's mostly easy to find out the way of the infection. Many more jobs have been created by the local health authorities and these employees have nothing else to do than follow the way of the infection (mostly by phone). They help to quarantine infected people or people under suspicion as soon as possible.
per aspera ad astra

Sue_CT
Reactions: 525

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:59 pm

What does a bouncer do Walmart? I suspect there is less need at Big Y. For some reason Walmart seems to attract more rowdies than other stores. Here it seems how well the Big Y got stocked was a little dependent on which one it was. But I noticed that at another smaller grocery that only has a few stores, also. The Big Y in town next to me that does not do as much business did not get restocked as fast, and others would sell out faster but would also be restocked faster. I suspect they have been funneling merchandise to places that were moving it faster, but I have no real knowledge of how they decided what went where. The other smaller store, newer and in a more affluent neighborhood than two of its other branches also had more. I have probably 4 Big Y stores within 10 miles of me, so it isn't a big deal to just check a different one next time I shop to see who has more stock.

brownrexx
Reactions: 594

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:06 pm

I fully expect another food shortage in the Fall so I have been stocking up a bit as things become available. I now have plenty of tp and paper towels so I keep a few extras put away and then buy them as I need them. If they are out of stock later, then I will have my spares to fall back on.

I also bought extra condiments like catsup, mayo and relish so that I always have an extra of each in stock. Vinegar has been in short supply so I also have an extra bottle of that.

I was at the store yesterday and started seeing empty shelves again. I don't buy it but the mac and cheese shelf was mostly empty as was the canned soups. I did want canned chicken broth and they were out of that.

I never worry about running out of veggies because I freeze my own and this year I think that I will freeze extra cut up tomatoes and my home made pasta sauce.

I don't hoard anything but I now have a fully stocked pantry and freezer.

karstopography
Reactions: 402

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:21 pm

Try to read up on various articles with this or that study on the virus. Just saw one from England saying there’s six sort of groups of Coronavirus symptoms, each with there own features, each more severe than the next. It’s like a revolver pistol, spin the cylinder, is it the dud you get or do you get a bad one. The virus at this stage has that quality of being in a bad dream that you cannot wake up from. You go to sleep and wake up and it’s still the same or worse. Saw some other study suggesting the antibodies developed during the infection fade quickly and that’s bad news for the vaccine.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

slugworth

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Sue_CT wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:59 pm
What does a bouncer do Walmart? I suspect there is less need at Big Y.
They keep you out of the store when you want to get in after walking through the cattle corral.
Shoprite still doesn't have paper goods or cleaning items.
At this stage of the game it must be poor management.
I have to get that stuff at the dollar store.

slugworth

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Some people have the virus for months.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 222

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:15 pm

The mask bouncers are in a difficult position. First of all, getting in a face to face shouting match with an unmasked person is the worst possible idea.

Secondly, it is a very difficult legal position for the company. A store employee cannot physically touch anyone without the risk of the store getting sued. The law tends to look the other way when bar bouncers "bounce" drunks out into the street. I don't think that's going to fly at Walmart, though. In the eyes of the law, all they are allowed to do is ask them to leave, and then call the police, who then could arrest them for trespassing.

worth1
Reactions: 1455

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Now we know how our pets feel when we make them wear something like one of those cones to keep them from licking or chewing.
Put you mask on.'
No I wont.
Yes you will.
No I wont.
Get out of here.
No.
Come here you little $%^&^ and put your mask on.
\
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

mikestuff49
Reactions: 213

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:20 pm

Walmart has a nationwide policy requiring masks in stores. No one is forced to shop at Walmart. If they don't want to abide by the policy, they can shop at another store. I don't understand the problem. You can't go into Walmart or any other business and light up a cigarette and nobody would suggest that it is your right to smoke where you like. Wear the mask or don't go to Walmart.
The best things in life---are not things.

Sue_CT

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:44 pm

More and more stores are doing it. Private business, they can put rules in place and require you follow them.

Slugworth, not sure what part of the state you live in but I am finding paper products more at large national retailers. I picked up Charmin at Target tonight. Costco has paper towels and other paper products. Shoprite is smaller. The one near me has paper products but not a huge selection.

slugworth

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Now I hear restaurants and other businesses are slapping people with a "covid tax" to make up for lost business.
Joblot had a 2% tax early on to give their workers a bonus for working.
Seems to me that should have come out of their end with so many people out of work.

Sue_CT

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:02 pm

I have never heard of a "covid tax" before. Doesn't seem like a customer friendly idea. You can always walk out and go some place that doesn't have such a thing.

MsCowpea
Reactions: 395

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:56 pm

Anti-maskers are printing a fake medical excuse card that ‘looks’ official off the internet. Doubt that a high school kid working at any of these stores would feel they had the authority to challenge the person who says that have a medical condition and that fake card. Really has evolved into a pathetic war of conflicting opinions and so-called conspiracy theories. Since you can’t tell legitimate medical exemptions from fake I wish the stores could advise people who can’t where a mask to shop online or at stores with curb service. But I don’t know if that would be legal.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

slugworth

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:39 am

I still get the telephone scammers collecting money for the police.
I don't see the handicapped working in Goodwill anymore.
Or out in public,for that matter.

brownrexx

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:35 am

I just heard Dr Fauci quoted as saying that it looks good for a vaccine by the end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021. Moderna's latest trial showed antibody production in 45 out of 45 test subjects.

If a vaccine is successful it will be offered first to healthcare workers and then people over 65 so many of us will qualify for the first availability.

worth1
Reactions: 1455

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:42 am

Just stuff I pulled of the net.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

brownrexx

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:56 am

I have not seen that yet but we do have take out food delivered. I did hear of one local restaurant charging $1 surcharge per customer for the disposable cutlery or other items used due to Covid

Return to “Area 51”