How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
worth1
Reactions: 1455

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:17 am

Does anyone even look at these sales receipts that often for surcharges.
Here is one covering the cost of proposition 206 in Arizona. :shock:
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

mikestuff49
Reactions: 213

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:43 am

We can all vote with our wallets.
The best things in life---are not things.

MsCowpea
Reactions: 395

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:26 pm

Businesses are hurting so bad, not much is added when you look at the total bill. Wouldn’t bother me to see such a charge. I was talking to someone working outside a restaurant in the parking lot , collecting the money and giving people their takeout food (and it was damn hot too). I told him to add such and such tip to the bill and he was appreciative. I am not talking about tipping him but talking about tipping on the total bill.
Somehow we got to talking about tipping and he said , I shouldn’t tell you this , but many people don’t tip on takeout food. A lady got
$100 worth of food and she left a $1.

Come on, they are working in dangerous times and still have to prepare the food, and pack it up , and take it outside.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Sue_CT
Reactions: 525

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:13 pm

I don't tip as much for takeout as I do for a sit down meal, but I did leave 15% last time. Yes they do still have to do that, but you are not taking up a table, they don't have to put in 45 minutes waiting on you, seeing if you need anything, if your meal is OK, etc. Please remember, many people are still unemployed and should not be shamed into leaving a tip or feeling they can't feed their family by ordering a pizza because once they add a generous tip in, it just becomes unaffordable.

Many local restaurants have taken to offering "family meals" to help people afford to still get a prepared meal for their family. They usually offer a single meal option per day, sold in a catering type foil container, that will feed up to 6 people for about 25.00, and for a family of 3 or 4 may inclulde left overs. One local restaurant has gone so far as to do facebook live each evening by the owner/chef, detailing what the next days family meal will be and every day also saying, listen, if you don't have any money and you are hungry, don't worry about it, just tell me and I will set you up. When things are better for you, you can order from the menu. Don't go hungry, we have the food we will feed you. The community has so appreciated it, he was near to tears on one facebook live telling everyone about the calls he has been getting with cash donations to help him cover the costs of the free meals he is giving out.

If you feel you can give a generous tip on take out that is great. If not, that is OK too. You are still supporting that local business and it is better than not supporting them at all.

slugworth
Reactions: 81

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Tax man is going to have to wait for his money this year.

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 416

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:37 pm

MsCowpea wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:26 pm
Businesses are hurting so bad, not much is added when you look at the total bill. Wouldn’t bother me to see such a charge. I was talking to someone working outside a restaurant in the parking lot , collecting the money and giving people their takeout food (and it was damn hot too). I told him to add such and such tip to the bill and he was appreciative. I am not talking about tipping him but talking about tipping on the total bill.
Somehow we got to talking about tipping and he said , I shouldn’t tell you this , but many people don’t tip on takeout food. A lady got
$100 worth of food and she left a $1.

Come on, they are working in dangerous times and still have to prepare the food, and pack it up , and take it outside.
When I paid for take out for my son's birthday lunch last week I gave a 20% tip because it was a birthday celebration, to spread the joy. It is rare that I give a tip on takeout but during covid I am.

AlittleSalt
Reactions: 80

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:25 am

I haven't been here in a long while. I hope Worth is okay. I miss him as well as you all.

I hope you are doing well in the covid era. Yesterday, I found out that I need to tear down my son's home that he have up on. It's actually soul wrenching. What does that have to do with gardening or whatever this site is about? Nothing other than we are human. I'm sure one of your mods will delete this on site, but please let Worth know that I care.
Texas Zone 8A

matereater
Reactions: 14

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 am

Salt, glad to see youre back, missed your posts. Hope you and the family are all safe and healthy.

Sue_CT

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Just wanted to share this. This is my hospital. I am sorry I missed this today, as I wasn't working. But it is a huge hurdle we have gotten over. I am sure it won't last, but from one of the worst, earliest states to get hit, to those deep into it now, this is what the sacrifices can get you. I hope this works.

karstopography
Reactions: 402

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-deadly ... 1595323801

Nailing down the death rate has been tricky with all the asymptomatics and people that got it but never got tested. The worst feature of this Virus is how catchy it is. Maybe not the most fearsome virus on its own, but if most everyone catches it, that’s a lot of people and even if a small fraction of that massive number have serious consequences, then that’s still a lot of people.

1 percent of 5 billion people worldwide (assuming only 60-70 percent get it) is 50 million. 1 percent of 250 million (USA minus the not ever going to get it number) is 2.5 million.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... m-covid-19

You could be one of the people above, the people with hidden immunity. If you are, you already had and have T cells acquired in the years leading up to the epidemic that recognize the Covid19 virus. So you should be good if you do get exposed. Wish there was a test for the T cells.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

brownrexx
Reactions: 594

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:30 am

The huge numbers needed to achieve herd immunity is why it is probably not going to happen, especially if immunity to this virus wanes over time.

T cells are an important part of our immune system and when people talk about "keeping their immune system strong" they are actually talking about T cells and a few other things. The importance of a healthy lifestyle can not be minimized.

Unfortunately T cells diminish as we age and immunocompromised individuals have very few of them.

karstopography

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am

My virus plan is to not get it. That means I avoid high risk activity like attending large gatherings, going to bars, not wearing masks, poor hygiene, etc. all the things that have been identified as the primary sources of spread. If I don’t get it, then I cannot spread it. Everyone wins. I’d love to go to church again, but not going to until this thing is over or there’s a solution. The only wedding on my horizon is in the November time frame, might have to skip that one. No freaking sporting events, not that I did those hardly ever anyway, I will evaluate other things on a case by case basis. Still going to need to get stuff done, but all with an eye towards minimizing risk.

I tank up with vitamin D as much as possible and generally try to do healthy things like eat well and get the right amount of activity and exercise.
Just keep controlling what I can and not really worrying about what I cannot.

Things will change, that’s how this thing has gone. Hot spots go cool, cool spots grow hot. New stuff gets discovered, old myths debunked. Buy some time.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

pondgardner
Reactions: 452
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:20 pm

karstopography wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am
Just keep controlling what I can and not really worrying about what I cannot.
Words of wisdom...
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 311mm

arnorrian
Reactions: 496

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:31 pm

All eyes are on the Oxford vaccine.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

worth1

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm

So I tell a young day labor clean up guy in my exact words at work, you need to put your mask on.
He came unglued, madder than hell, ready to fight, puffed up like a frog.
You have a problem with me yelling at the top of his lungs.
No I say, we had a safety meeting and the GC told us to tell people that weren't wearing a mask to put their mask on.
Then I walked off.
He put his mask on but was glaring at me the rest of the day.
No I didn't say, 'Would you please, we are all grown men not children and we know what the rules are.
Worth

worth1

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:46 am

Texas A&M gearing up for mass production of vaccine.
Go Texas.
Worth

karstopography

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:59 am

Checked in with daughter the nurse last evening. Interesting to hear some of the tidbits on Covid19 care. One is that they apparently put patients in a prone position to help with O2 levels and to clear the lungs. O2 levels can get so very low, dangerously low, with Covid19 infections, but the patient might not otherwise even realize that or have any particularily alarming symptoms. Only an O2 monitor points out the issue.

She seemed confident about the approach the hospital care team is taking and they are getting a lot of good outcomes and results. No chaos in her hospital in Houston’s TMC, care is at a very high level and they are running along as well oiled machine by all appearances. She did say if we do get Covid19 and if that develops into something approaching serious, bypass the local hospital and come up to the city for care.

Still, odd how the virus can really hammer one otherwise healthy person and barely effect another much less robust individual. Definitely not an influenza like pattern where most everyone that gets it gets pretty sick from it. Odd too how some have substantial built in immunity/resistance to Covid19 in spite of never having previously contracted the disease or have formed antibodies. Their immune system somehow quickly recognizes Covid19 as a dangerous invader and mobilizes an effective response before things cascade out of control.

brownrexx
Reactions: 594

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:03 am

That's what is scary. We don't know that if we get it, we will be the one that gets only slightly sick or deathly ill.

JosephineRose
Reactions: 46

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Tales from the other side.

First, I am certain I had it early, before testing, and there have been lingering physical issues.

Second, the lockdown nearly wiped out our family construction business. We were able to begin work on our projects in May, with strict safety protocols in place. Gearing up and training took weeks. Two of our three contracts came back. And then four weeks in, one decided to shut down because of contractual issues with another company. So people who have been brought back after months of being out of work will be out of work again.

On the other contract we have been dealing with a subcontractor outbreak, which caused the job to be shut down. We just get everything cleaned up and cleared and start again this week - same sub now has TWO more cases. Their ownership group is magical thinking and not taking it seriously, and now it is affecting the livelihoods of everyone else on the project.

I am exhausted.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

Sue_CT

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Sorry to hear that. Magical thinking doesn't work with a virus that doesn't care. If people don't smarten up, you are likely to keep having problems. I keep hoping this will get better. Doing what you are supposed to do works. Too many people don't seem to be smart enough to figure that out, and until they do people will keep getting sick, and more will die. Businesses will suffer more and more because it will keep getting worse and keep spreading. Very sad.

Return to “Area 51”