How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
Bower
Reactions: 910

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:20 pm

@Growing Coastal I saw Bonnie Henry on the news last night. So sad to hear things are getting out of hand.
OTOH I love the approach your government is taking. They talked about a massive hiring in the health care sector. This just seems a perfect fit, for the needs of the day.
Also, whether those jobs remain permanent or whether a lot of those workers go back to other things, down the road, I would think it is a huge opportunity to increase public understanding of disease prevention techniques. You may not work in a hospital for all your days, but you will take away something learned, for sure. It's the kind of thing that could (potentially) shape society in the long term by spreading education in those important things. Or am I just an eternal optimist.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions: 1713

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 pm

I know everything there is to know about hospitals and the medical field.
I watched Marcus Welby M.D. on TV back in the 70's. :lol:
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Sue_CT
Reactions: 627

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:24 pm

Every patient and family member now has an honarary MD courtesy of WebMD. My own Mother double checks me and her own doctors to see if what they are telling her is right. One surgeon recently said to me, "that is a good way to get yourself a new doctor". My mother denies it now, but I remember her looking it up on her laptop in my father's hospital room, and after the Cardiologist, who also happened to be charge of the Cardiology Dept in that large hospital, walked out, she grumbled that he didn't even have my father on the correct IV fluids.She had WEBMD open on her lap while he was talking. :roll:
Last edited by Sue_CT on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brownrexx
Reactions: 654

Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:16 pm

If people only looked at WebMD it wouldn't be so bad. At least that is written by doctors but so many people believe everything that they read on the internet including Covid-19 cures posted by any crackpot who has a computer. Just yesterday a man I know told me that there is a cure for breast cancer and it is bee venom. He read about it on Facebook and I told him that was his first mistake.

Labradors
Reactions: 151

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 am

Well they ARE working on a cure for breast cancer and it is from bee venom. Not sure how far along they are with it yet though...... Do we have to disregard EVERYTHING that we read on the net? I found references to this on the BBC (which I consider a reputable source) amongst other places.

Linda

worth1

Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:59 am

What ever happened to a second opinion?
The net is a fantastic place to get information these days for free.
Sure you need to look and weed but that isn't hard to do.
Before it you had to buy a book on the subject and trust me I have a ton of them from doctors of all types.
One way to find an honest doctor is look for one that drives a little conservative car not a Lamborghini. :lol:
I told my eye doctor I pretty much figured out what was wrong with my eyes before they confirmed it.
I told her at least I hoped it was cataracts, because the other possible reasons for what was going on wasn't good at all, like a brain tumor behind the eye.
She didn't have any problems with me looking stuff up and a good doctor likes a well informed patient.
Not so they can go in and argue but be on the same page as to what to do and follow instructions.

Now if we want to get into the waiting room thing here is how it went down with me.
All three places I went to had limited seating and everyone was at least 10 or more feet away.
The surgery center had the middle chairs pointed towards each other and up against each other so no one could sit there.
On a non pandemic day the place could have held a ton of people.
When I was there both times there were only four people in the waiting room.
We all wore masks they provided.
My post op place here in town you stay in car and call in and the door is locked.
Very few people inside waiting room maybe three at the most.
No cattle calls where I go.
Maybe Texas ain't such a bad place after all. ;)
Worth

Sue_CT

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:56 am

worth1

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:42 pm

@Sue_CT
That was the point I was making about the brain tumor being behind the eye diagnoses from the internet.
My eye doctor thought it was funny when I told her.
But to be serous about it the double vision can be from a tumor.
The other morning was the first time in years I didn't see three full moons.
Apartments that I thought were connected were separate buildings.

Just remember the old saying, 'the doctor that treats themselves is a fool.
Worth

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 71

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:14 pm

A friend of mine went to her doctor suspecting she had some problems which needed addressing, she had been feeling below par for a while. She proceeded to tell the doctor the symptoms she was having and the doctor dismissed these quite off hand. She repeated that she did not feel right, there must be something going on and she pressed further even to the point of offering some diagnosis to try to open up even the possibility of exploring further the symptoms she was having. At this point the doctor then, in rather a condescending and dismissive manner, explained that he had studied medicine for over ten years and been in general practice for fifteen years and therefore his experience and knowledge should not really be questioned. Well, said my friend, I'VE LIVED IN THIS BODY FOR OVER 45 YEARS and I'm bloody telling you its not right. She then got the attention she deserved.

The point of telling this is simply, you might not know what it is wrong with you, and you shouldn't try to diagnose that or you'll likely end up making 2 and 2 equal 5. However, you are probably the best judge of knowing when something is not right.

slugworth
Reactions: 93

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:23 am

He asks me what medical school did I go to,and I say I forgot.
Then he lowered the cholesterol med dose to 3x per week instead of every day.
If a doctor makes a mistake,it is OOPS and he goes on to somebody else.
If I follow his advice all the time it is OOPS and I am dead.

karstopography
Reactions: 544

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:28 am

I have known a lot of doctors, there’s good and bad ones and in between. Dated one for a long time. Hung out with many others. They definitely aren’t some exalted beings or anything. Some are extremely arrogant and somehow believe whatever they learned in med school makes them experts about any other subject, which is why they often make terrible investors and dangerous pilots.

Try to find the good ones and avoid the bad. Doctors themselves tend to know which doctors are skilled and which are quacks. In my experience, big cities with teaching hospitals have the best physicians, clinicians and surgeons. I wouldn’t go to our local hospital for anything worse than a stubbed toe.

But, some are way skilled and very, very good at what they do. And they do not always agree on a course of treatment, even ones with similar levels of experience and backgrounds. My dad had a cancer that one or two wanted to cut out, the other one or two advocated doing a different, less invasive, and less traumatic procedure. This all within one of the most renown cancer hospitals in the world. The different less invasive procedure camp won out and that was the right decision based on outcome and comparisons to others that had the cut it out procedure. My dad remains cancer free and with far less side effects than any of his peers that had the more surgically invasive procedure, that either had their cancer return and or with debilitating side effects. Only because my dad talked to many different doctors and patients did he know his options and expected outcomes.

It’s in one’s best interest to stay as informed as possible on their health and the options available. Know that different doctors approach a particular complicated illness or disease from different angles. Doctors are just as fallible as anyone. It’s your life, not theirs. You make the decisions about your health, not them. Once you do your due diligence, then there’s a level of turning it over to the skill of the doctors and health care pros. Even then, it is important to stay on monitoring the progress.

All of this can be done with a smile and with a huge appreciation for the health care professionals. When I selected my surgeon for my hip replacement surgery, I did my due diligence and then once I found my guy, I followed everything he and his team said to a T and anything I was not clear on I asked for clarity. Outcome was just as he predicted and I could not be more grateful. A talented, professional hospital staff is a dream for a patient, but it’s important as a patient to not go out of your way to be a pain in the neck or expect the medical staff are your personal servants.

There are awful patients, just ask any nurse or doctor, and some people have zero awareness on how to be a respectful and courteous patient. Just because one doesn’t feel good doesn’t give one the right to treat the people trying to help cure you like they are the enemy or dogs.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

worth1

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:18 am

Im gonna make this as short as I can.
Kidney infection.
Get pills infection goes away.
Pills run out infection back.
PA said we need a bigger dose.
I have history of kidney stones on my paperwork.
You think it might be a stone?
Maybe lets send you to go get looked at.
Go through the machine.
Go to urologist PA with disk of the pictuer of my kidneys.
She says what do you see.
I said a stone.
She said they said you didn't have one that is why I wanted you to bring the disk.
So not only did I (((the uneducated idiot))) have to come up with a possible problem I had to find my own kidney stone.
What many but not all doctors hate is all that information out there used to be in books books you had to buy or heaven forbid go to the library, 'remember the library.
Now that information is free.
My great Grandfather was a doctor in Texas back in the 1800's and early 1900's.
Had access to all his books and medical equipment.
The stuff people had back then and how they treated it was flabbergasting.
Heck I think he died before they had penicillin.
Here is a link about him.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... s2GT4XQmst
Worth

brownrexx

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:11 pm

We definitely need to be our own advocates and research things that we do not understand and although I think that the Internet is a wonderful resource, I do not go to Dr. Google.

I Googled the breast cancer and bee venom link and yes, there is some preliminary work being done in labs and with a component of bee venom on a particular subtype of breast cancer that is traditionally hard to treat.

I think that this is wonderful news but if you read about it in a place like Facebook you can be convinced that getting stung by bees will cure cancer. This is what my friend's husband thinks.

I read several scientific papers on the subject and I am very happy to hear about a possible treatment in the works but it is totally preliminary at this time and being conducted in petri dishes. It is also only one or two types of breast cancer out of about 15 types.

My only point is not to jump to conclusions with what you read. Research the information in several reliable places and do not neglect going to a real doctor with a problem because Dr. Google has helped you to diagnose yourself.

worth1

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 am

I'll take Dr Google over Dr Twitter any day of the week. :lol:
Worth

karstopography
Reactions: 544

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 am

A lot of doctors have let’s say an interesting relationship with the pharmaceutical companies and their representatives. Is it possible that relationship is in conflict with what might be the appropriate care for a particular patient? You answer that however you want.

But, drugs are frequently prescribed that produce a host of debilitating side effects, that is a truth. Do the drug benefits outweigh the downsides? Is the research directed at the drugs 100 percent looking for the truth or is it looking for a particular outcome? This stuff might be more nuanced than you think. There are billions and billions of dollars at play, a massive dose put into direct advertising, is it possible all that money might influence physician and patient opinions and patient care? Answer that however you like.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

brownrexx

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:07 am

Doctor's used to give me free samples that they got from Pharmaceutical reps so that I could try a drug before having it prescribed. I have not seen any free samples in years so I don't know if they still do this. I do know that a lot of reps were laid off in 2008 when we had all of that downsizing. I don't know if those jobs came back. In recent years I see so many drug ads on TV and I am wondering if they got rid of a lot of reps and started directly advertising to consumers?

My doctor usually asks me about my insurance before prescribing something. Recently I was prescribed an anti itch cream for some chigger bites and it was over $100 so I called the doctor's office and he prescribed a cheaper one. Sometimes the doctor does not realize the price and he can help you by changing to another drug.

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 71

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 pm

I had a good friend who was a medical rep for a major manufacturer, he travelled to many conferences in europe and had a very good golf handicap. Answer that however you want too. :-)

worth1

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:48 pm

I wonder if they gave out free samples of heroin back in the early 1900's
Worth

Sue_CT

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:00 pm

The "free sample" thing has never in my adult lifetime included any type of narcotic or other addictive medications. When I was a young nurse it became illegal for pharmacy reps to give gifts to doctors. The reps would come meet with interns and residents in the hospital and leave small gifts like pens, note pads and other things with drug names on it, and they would share them with us. It became illegal for them to receive so much as a single or pencil. Many doctors used the free samples for patients who did not have insurance. They might still do so. I have in the last 5 years gotten free samples of inhalers for my asthma from my doctor. But that is about it. However, I have good insurance, so it is possible they have more and simply save it for those who really need it. I don't know lf the ban on gifts to doctors was a state or federal thing, so it might be different in other places, but around here doctors cannot receive ANYTHING of value from a drug company.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions: 272

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:04 pm

They still let them buy food. So they can show up with an expensive catered buffet, but they can't give you a pencil.

I remembered when we didn't let drug companies advertise on TV. Those were the days.

Return to “Area 51”