How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Off Topic Area
pondgardner
Reactions: 375
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Whether it is due to self isolation or government mandated stay at home orders, how are you being affected? How are you coping not having your usual contact with other people? Are you finding new ways to communicate with others? What do you think about having to get out for groceries and risk exposure? Or have elevated anxiety levels about getting sick? Are you recently unemployed, laid off or working reduced hours? Do you have a job that has a higher risk of exposure to the virus? How is life different for you now? Do you expect things to get better? worse? never be the same? Is there any PPE(personal protection equipment) that you use or wish you had? Are you following guidelines for social distancing? Are you learning how to cook new things or at all?

Life has been radically changed for a lot of us since this has happened and it seems that it is going to get worse before it gets better. It was announced today that Colorado cases are escalating with no end in sight. Many people are still going to the mountains, going around barriers to hike on closed trails or still congregating in groups. There seems to be a lackadaisical attitude about minimizing exposure. My wife has leukemia and has to get out for blood tests and I am her sole caregiver. I have some anxiety about contracting a virus which at the very least could knock me flat on my butt for an extended period of time or result in my death. I seem to worry more about how my wife would cope if I was not here.

After reading one of our members blog about his recent self isolation, I got very interested in what is going on in other members lives and locations. Feel free to say whatever is on your mind, keeping in mind the sites rules on proper behavior. And if you missed reading @Moshou blog about how he is dealing with the pandemic in Romania, a link is available below.

https://self-isolation-corona.blogspot.com
George
Zone 6b
Elevation : 4600 ft or about 1400 meters
Climate : semi-desert
Avg annual rainfall = 12.26" or about 31mm

GoDawgs
Reactions: 470

Re: How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting you?

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Other than some shortages at the grocery I'm not affected much at all as we stay well stocked here at all times. I'm retired, live out in the country and basically have no neighbors, don't socialize much, don't mind that and have pretty much a peaceful, enjoyable existence. The small circle of true friends that I have all call each other or e-mail periodically to catch up on what's going on now. Our periodic cookouts here can wait.

I'm a scratch cook and am always looking at and trying new recipes so that's nothing new here.

When I do go to the store it doesn't bother me at all. I've always passed by an aisle if someone is hacking and sneezing there and then get what I need from that aisle at the end of my shopping. The Walmart here is pretty much devoid of people around 7:30am. There are only 3 virus cases in the whole county and likewise for the several counties closest to me. I keep my distance from others. I've always had some N95 masks on hand for use during the infrequent dusting of something in the garden, perhaps one mask in two years. I haven't used any for this event as I'm not sick.

Things will get better. I have a feeling this virus has been around a bit before it had a name. Someone got sick, went to the doc, went home with flu or cold treatment protocol and got better at home. So very many infected people right now are healing at home. Cases requiring hospitalization were maybe diagnosed as some form of flu or pneumonia and treated as such. The big difference now seems to be with those who have "underlying conditions" but then, those people have always been at risk for every germ that comes down the street. I have no underlyings. You don't hear much about the many folks healing at home unless they have a big name. The media fixates on death. They don't dare compare the Corona statistics to how many sicken and actually die every year from regular flu. Why is that?

I really feel for those like you who have a loved one at home for whom exposure is a high risk. It adds a huge extra layer of nervousness and anxiety on the caregiver. God bless you and your wife and stay safe.

pondgardner

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Article about how social distancing can improve relationships...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ationships
George
Zone 6b

Texgal
Reactions: 34

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:20 am

I work from home anyway, so my routine hasn't changed much. I haven't been worried about getting the virus, but I've had a couple fights with anxiety - will I pick it up and transmit it to my niece's kids or someone else kind of thing. I normally go to the grocery store every 3 days so that has been an adjustment buying whatever is available that I needed in larger quantities and waiting longer to restock so I don't go so often. Even though I'm inland I usually stock up for hurricane season every April, so this silliness with toilet paper and such has made that difficult.

I am not one of the ones that is going to stay inside the house. The ability to go to my community garden has kept things sane. I'm so glad they are keeping it open so far, but I have switched to taking my own tools. I pay much more attention to sanitizing things around me.

I have at times let the isolation factor get to me, so I've made it a point to call someone in my family/friend circle every few days just to talk voice to voice. And have had a few virtual happy hours with friends on Zoom. I did a Zoom conference with the kids in the family also and they loved it. My challenge is that because my niece and her husband are still going into their respective offices to work, I'm staying with the kids and I am running out of ideas to keep them off their tablets and be active at something other than a screen. 🤔 They don't say they are worried or scared, but I can tell from some of their comments and behavior, that they are unsettled.

It is my opinion that we don't really know yet how bad it is going to get in Texas until we get through April. I think if it is going to get bad, it will be this month. My heart really goes out to the mom & pop restaurants and small businesses. And I have a deep appreciation for church and truckers. I make it a point to thank people when I have to shop. In spite of how bad it is, it would be so, so much worse if the supply chain gets cut. I do believe it will get better, but call me cautiously optimistic. 🙂
~ Emmie ~

brownrexx
Reactions: 426

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:07 am

GoDawgs wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:09 pm
They don't dare compare the Corona statistics to how many sicken and actually die every year from regular flu. Why is that?
I also wondered about this at first but Covid-19 is not just another type of flu. It has some similar symptoms but the Corona Virus is different than the Influenza virus and it is MUCH more contagious.

Growing Coastal
Reactions: 342

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 am

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... tes-2020-3
The coronavirus death rate in the US is far higher than that of the flu — here's how the 2 compare across age ranges
Perhaps the numbers are just coming in? They must be changing all the time, too.

Nan6b
Reactions: 539

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 am

My niece and her 4-year-old son:
4-year-old: Let's go see a movie!
niece: We can't, bud. The movie theaters are closed.
4-year-old: Because of the virus?
niece: Yep.
4-year-old: I HATE the virus! I'm going to kick the virus' butt! ...By washing my hands!

pondgardner

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 am

Article about not letting the pandemic overwhelm you...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellne ... z#image=31
George
Zone 6b

OneoftheEarls
Reactions: 25

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:52 pm

3/5 of infected in MI are in the Detroit Area. My county has 0 infected so far!

pondgardner

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, all it takes is one person who is asymptomatic or has the notion that he or she knows better than medical experts regarding self isolation, to infect your county in a short time. And it wouldn't surprise me that it could be already well on the way to doing so.
George
Zone 6b

pondgardner

Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Since a recommendation has been made to wear some sort of face mask when you do venture out in public, many people are making their own. But if you don't have any sewing skills (me!), you may have seen on the news about how to make a serviceable mask using a handkerchief, hair bands or some sort of elastic material. Below is one of the many videos available on youtube and elsewhere showing how you can put something together.

George
Zone 6b

NarnianGarden
Reactions: 34

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:05 am

Am one of those who was not too much affected, on a practical level. As someone who has been acting as m parents' caretaker for the last year and half, the was not a radical change.. not at all. The same life in more or less cloistered conditions goes on.

What this crisis did do, was to cancel my travel plans for this year... which is OK.

brownrexx
Reactions: 426

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:20 am

I ordered a pack of 20 of those blue paper masks on e-Bay as soon as I heard about this. I was surprised that they were not sold out. We rarely go anywhere away from home so a 20-pack should be fine for the 2 of us.

AlittleSalt
Reactions: 71

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 am

Me personally, I'm used to isolation on 11 acres out in the country. I haven't really liked going into public areas for at least 10 years. I am not a recluse so-to-say, because I do like going out to eat and do some shopping. I will hold the door open for you and let you go ahead of me in line if you only have a few items. Some call that manners - I think of it as courtesy.

As far as the touching each other part. Long before the Covid-19 outbreak, you can call it whatever you want - there were certain women I would hug, and some women and men I would shake hands with. Those were hard working people, and there were viruses and diseases way before Covid-19. Any of those people could have had those conditions. Maybe I did?

We are human. We don't know it all.
Texas Zone 8A

worth1
Reactions: 1050

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:09 pm

My elderly in their 80's neighbors had a family get together yesterday.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme Is The Head Chef In Heaven

Nan6b
Reactions: 539

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:37 pm

We had a COVID family get together on Saturday. My sister came over and sat 8 feet away.

pondgardner

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:01 pm

The hardest thing that my wife and I are dealing with is not being able to cross the mountains and visit our 22 month old grandson. He is at that age that he is discovering and doing new things at an accelerated pace. Easter will be difficult without being there in person. And our daughter is dealing with being without work for the first time in over 15 years and trying to offer emotional support through phone calls, video chat or online texts is not what we would rather be doing...we would rather be there in person. But we are firm believers in the self isolation and social distancing recommendations and hope that will be enough to help all of humanity get back to some sort of normal.
George
Zone 6b

MissS
Reactions: 827

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:51 pm

The biggest and hardest change for me is not being able to see my daughter. She is close by but works in a hospital at their Urgent Care Center. I have underlying medical conditions that make it imperative that I be careful to avoid this one. I miss her greatly but talk to her as often as I can.

I finally truly understand why dogs are so very happy to see you each and every time that you walk in or take them out for a walk. I feel like a dog stuck in the house just waiting for someone to come let me out. :lol: I wish that I had one for myself.
Enjoy the Day!
~ Patti ~

Sue_CT
Reactions: 383

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:19 pm

I keep passing this thread and I just wanted to write "I have no words". But then today, I find I do have a few.

I passed the 14 day period since the first positive COVID patient I took care of, the expected incubation period, so I guess my isolation technique was adequate. Not only was he coughing while I stood and sat next to him, the EMTs that were to take him to a larger hospital tried to take him to bathroom for me, and accidentally pulled out his IV with an anticoagulant infusing, leaving a pool of blood on the bathroom floor and sprayed everwhere. I got to sit next to him to restart his IV before they left. What a way to find out how good your isolation technique is.

Last Friday I took care 4 patients that were all either COVID positive or "rule out" COVID which just means their testing was not back yet. I was exhausted by the time I got home. Just putting on, taking off, cleaning and repeating all that isolation garb innumberable times will wear you out, and you hope you don't make a mistake.

I live alone, so I only see coworkers and patients and my cats most days. I haven't' even been to a grocery store in 3 weeks. I have been feeling a little isolated.

Friday, my mother and sister together bought me a wonderful steak dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse, my favorite the NY sirloin strip with all the fixings, and got it take out and dropped if off on my doorstep. I got to see Mom through the storm door. :) It was soooo good, lol, and it perked me up a bit. Mom said I looked so tired I looked like something the cat dragged in, lol.

Saturday, the town had a "bear hunt" and residents put out Teddy Bears or put them in windows, and parents could drive around hunting for bears with children to give them a safe activity out of the house. I put two bears in my front window and my Niece stopped by with her adorable daughter and I was able to see her and talk to them in the car from the front lawn. I got to get outside a bit. I didn't feel so isolated any more. Family helps.

I won't bore you all with all the details of daily life of a medical nurse in a state with a large number of COVID positive cases. Let me just say, it is not just the over 65 group who are getting sick enough to end up in the hospital, and even in ICU and on ventilators. Be safe. Stay home. Even if you live in a state where you are not being forced to. Do it anyway. Please.

WoodSprite
Reactions: 26

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 am

For the past 6 years I rarely go anywhere due to health issues with my heart and lungs. Most likely, I'm at a higher risk than most people but I'm not scared. Not because I think I won't die if I got this virus (I probably would because I already have trouble breathing even on my best days) but because I don't care if I die. My health issues have already limited me to the point that dying doesn't matter to me. But what my dying would do to my husband and my dogs does matter to me. I closed my business in December because I just couldn't physically do it anymore. Now I have no where I need to go. I've been self-isolating for a few weeks because of coronavirus and a few weeks before that because I just don't have the energy to go anywhere. I haven't left our property in over a month.

With that said, I'm keeping a positive outlook, focusing on expanding my garden (as I had planned before this all happened) and doing other positive things that have kept me sane since my health declined years ago. When I get stir crazy, I try to find the energy to I ride my ATV in our woods and it lifts my spirits. So, life is pretty much the same for me. Since we live on wooded acreage that's a 1/2 mile from a paved road with no neighbors in site, I don't see what's going on with my neighbors, at stores or in my town.

For my husband, he's been working from home and I'm thankful for that because it puts him at less risk. When he insists on going to the grocery store and pharmacy so I don't have to go, I worry about his safety but he's taking precautions to reduce his risk and my exposure. We started using the contact-free grocery delivery service last week and plan to use it in the future because we feel it's safer for us and for the employees doing it. He's not use to being home this much and has commented multiple times on how slow time is going for him. He's getting cabin fever. But he also goes out into our woods to lift his spirits.

We have always kept well stocked on food and basic supplies and haven't changed that other than a few more canned goods. We cook from scratch for the most part and are still doing that. We use to order pizza once in a great while but stopped doing that. We made homemade pizza yesterday because my husband was hungry for it. Haven't made that in years so it was fun (dough and sauce made from scratch).

I read comments from friends on Facebook that don't have savings to pay bills, buy food, pay mortgage/rent, etc. and have no job to go to at the moment. I know a lot of people are in their shoes and it's heartbreaking. I'm concerned about everyone that is struggling or will struggle. I think before this is over, things are going to get very bad for a lot of folks and it breaks my heart at the desperation that they must be feeling.

I am concerned about all of the people "on the front lines" that are still working and are more likely to get sick or to bring it home to their families. But I'm also thankful for them.

I've stopped checking updates every day and now check them every other day. It's shocking how much the number of cases jump in that time.

I'm thankful that I found Tomato Junction because it allows me to focus on positive things that I love and to dream of future gardens, too.

Return to “Area 51”