Instant Pot recipes

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Instant Pot recipes

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Any other users here? I started this thread because this time of year, when it gets really hot, I use this a lot - this, and my induction burner, both of which put out far less heat tban those high heat burners on my gas range! Also, I make a lot of lentil and bean salads in the summer, when those cherry tomatoes start producing big time, and they cook great in the IP. I cook a lot in it other times, but especially in the summer.

Today I made a delicious dish from Milk Street's book on Instant Pot cooking, Fast And Slow. This is a really good CB, with many of the recipes having a way to use the pressure cooker, and another way of using the slow cooker on it.

The one I made today was the Indian-Spiced Kidney Bean Stew. I added some diced chicken thighs to it, then, at the end, I added some red lentils to it, to thicken it, as it was too thin (probably because the beans were old, and should have cooked longer).
It looks like chili, but the flavor is definitely Indian.
ImageIndian Spiced Kidney Bean Stew, from Milk Streets Fast and Slow. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Instant Pot recipes

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Looks really good.
I dont have one but I have two vintage pressure cookers I have picked up here and there.
Should probably pick one up one of these days, like I have the room for more kitchen stuff. :roll:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:31 pm

I was always a low and slow baby back rib cooker, but 30 minutes in the instant pot and then finished under the broiler makes some mighty delicious ribs.
The best things in life---are not things.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:50 pm

I had real Indian food for the first time this week. One of my favorite people and Doctor at the hospital, who is Board Certified in Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine and Environmental and Occupational Medicine, AND one of the nicest, kindest people I have ever known bought the ICU a full spread of Indian rice dishes and sauces. They invited us over to make a plate for ourselves. It was really good. I might some day try to make one. I know they can be anywhere from mildly spicey to quite hot. How was the one you made? What did you think of it after you made it?

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:35 pm

[mention]Sue_CT[/mention] Boy, are you lucky, to have been given a chance to sample that food! The only drawback is, that you may become addicted to it. lol

I didn't used to like Indian or Pakistani food, either in restaurants (though I went in very few), or what I made. They always had an excessive amount of a raw cinnamon flavor. Eventually, I got a cookbook which I used the recipe for Garam Masala from, in which all the spices were toasted, and everything that I used it in was delicious! Store bought garam masala was all raw spices, and this is why I never liked it. Eventually, I had to learn all I could about Indian cooking (like I did with Chinese, Thai, and Mexican, in the past), and got countless spices, as well as legumes and grains, and started growing a curry tree! When I get obsessed with these cuisines, I go all the way!

I really liked that dish I made, and I knew that it would be good, when I saw the recipe. It called for 2 tb garam masala, and 2 tsp curry powder, both of which are homemade, and recipes I've made, and tweaked to my taste. I also added a little crushed Thai pepper, to add some heat; it wasn't that hot, even with that. It looked like a dish from Rajasthan - in the NE region. The southern regions are better known for the hot foods, and I like those the best! And I rarely add peppers to a recipe!

I'm lucky to have a number of Indian groceries in the area, and I used to deliver to an Indian family that ran a store on my route. I used to take my curry tree trimmings to them, along with some other unusual things I grow. I used to get samples of things from them all the time, and learned a lot from them, about Indian cooking - all I had to do was ask!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “What's Cooking.”