Eggplant Fries

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
SQWIB
Reactions:

Eggplant Fries

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:48 am

Eggplant Fries

I am always looking for a new way to cook eggplant, The family gets eggplant overload after a few eggplant meals so I have been trying to make an extremely easy eggplant recipe that will satisfy even the pickiest of the family.
I have been trying to make fries from eggplant for dipping, you know, whatever, horseradish and ketchup, Buffalo Wing Sauce, Buttermilk Ranch, Outbacks Blooming Onion dip, you get the picture, anyhow I have been working on a method to make some worthy eggplant fries for a quite a while.
It was this past weekend that I had success and the answer was so simple I smacked myself in the head after I tried it..

Cut into fries, "LIGHTLY" salt the Eggplant Fries and place on a cookie sheet lined with a few paper towels.

Place a few paper towels on top, cover with a Pyrex dish or similar and weight the dish.

Give it 20 minutes, remove the paper towels and replace with fresh paper towels, let fries sit another 20 minutes. I actually only did 20 minutes.
Remove the paper towels, wipe excess salt off of the eggplant, and place eggplant fries in flour (I was going to use Zatarans but decide on flour at the last minute, I will try Zatarans next time)
Make sure to work the flour into the eggplant so there are no wet spots showing.

In a skillet add enough oil to cover 1/4 the thickness of the fries, gently cook until golden brown flipping once.
Place fries on a drying Rack with paper towels.

Serve with your favorite dip and Enjoy.

These are really fantastic and my family was quite impressed with them.

These can be salty so taste before salting, also if making a Buffalo wing sauce, try to use an unsalted butter.
You can also add some ranch dressing to the Wing Sauce to cut salt and thicken the sauce up a bit so it adheres to the fries better.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Eggplant Fries

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:54 am

[mention]SQWIB[/mention] Thanks so much for posting this. My eggplants are coming in as well and I need to find a way to use them. My Dr. is after me to cut down on the salt and the fats so I will be trying this in the air fryer tonight. The air fryer has become one of my new best friends. Foods come out crispy with just a light spray of oil.
~ Patti ~

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Eggplant Fries

Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm

Alton Brown suggested this for eggplant years ago on one of his shows.
I do it with onions too before frying them but for at least a day or two.
It makes some really crispy fired onions.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “What's Cooking.”