Home made mustard

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
svalli
Reactions:

Home made mustard

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Home made mustard is a Christmas tradition in many Finnish households. I have never made it before, so this is my first experiment to make mustard and of course I cannot just make it with some traditional recipe. I have been concerned about storage and safety of the ones made with cream and eggs, so I did not want to make such recipes.

I have been making apple syrup by reducing our old cold pressed apple cider by boiling it in the slow cooker. I was thinking how to use all that syrup and after seeing some mustard recipes online I realized that the tangy and sweet apple syrup would be great in a condiment like mustard. I found recipe for apple cider mustard made with hard cider and got inspiration from it to soak whole mustard seeds in the reduced apple juice, which was not yet the consistency of syrup. After soaking I pureed the seeds and added freshly grated home grown ginger and pinch of salt. End result was quite spicy and sweet, even I did not add any sugar. So this is my apple ginger mustard suitable also for vegans, but we will eat it with ham.
PSX_20201216_213643.jpg

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

bower
Reactions:

Re: Home made mustard

Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:44 pm

That sounds delicious! :) I bought mustard seeds to grow last year, and started a couple of plants but they didn't make it into the ground between one thing and another. I have never made mustard condiment but I have grown it before, many years ago. I didn't have a clue how to thresh it at the time, and I remember burning my hands just handling and trying to crush them without gloves. We made some seasoned vinegar with the whole mustard pods, and it was really good tasting and also kept really well. I love old fashioned style mustard with the whole seeds, though, so that is still on my list of things to grow and do.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:54 pm

I made some awhile back.
Very spicey.
Can't remember the recipe.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

svalli
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:07 am

Bower wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:44 pm That sounds delicious! :) I bought mustard seeds to grow last year, and started a couple of plants but they didn't make it into the ground between one thing and another. I have never made mustard condiment but I have grown it before, many years ago. I didn't have a clue how to thresh it at the time, and I remember burning my hands just handling and trying to crush them without gloves. We made some seasoned vinegar with the whole mustard pods, and it was really good tasting and also kept really well. I love old fashioned style mustard with the whole seeds, though, so that is still on my list of things to grow and do.
The mustard seeds, which I used were from the store, but I started to think that I could try to grow those myself. I should try to find seed for the stronger tasting Brassica nigra and grow those for making mustard. The seeds I made the mustard from are the yellow Sinapis alba.

I have seed for the Brassica juncea, but the varieties, which I have, are grown for leaves and I do not know if these produce as much seeds as the one grown for brown mustard.

bower
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:35 am

[mention]svalli[/mention] I too was hoping to grow both yellow and brown, and I did get seeds of both but only started a few of the yellow. They also say that mustard is an excellent rotation for garlic. I think it may discourage allium pests, iirc, including the wireworms which are always snacking on some of my bulbs here.
Ironically although mustard is grown for its abundant seeds, my packet of Sinapis alba had just 50 seeds. I'm sure that would produce plenty, but I would want to save lots for sowing a cover crop. This is why I started just a couple in a pot instead of direct sowing the lot. I had some pest mowing down my carrots in the same bed, and I wasn't sure I would recognize mustard cw a weed or another stray brassica.
temperate marine climate

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32 am

Decades ago, I bought a packet of red-leaved mustard. Ever since, I've had mustard every year, whether I saved & planted seeds or not. The greens have become spicier over the years. I can get a ton of seeds from them. Does anyone have a recipe?

svalli
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:31 pm

I made more mustard tonight by mixing mustard powder to the apple syrup. The end result of mixing just these two ingredients is absolutely wonderful. I feel like I made real discovery here.

The mustard I made yesterday was a bit too thick so I added some of the mustard made with powder to it and more apple syrup, before putting into small jars. I know that the mustard acts like preservative and the apple syrup is also quite acidic, but I still heated all these in hot water bath to seal them.

My family is now getting apple mustard as Christmas presents.

mustard.jpg

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Nan6b wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32 am Decades ago, I bought a packet of red-leaved mustard. Ever since, I've had mustard every year, whether I saved & planted seeds or not. The greens have become spicier over the years. I can get a ton of seeds from them. Does anyone have a recipe?
I found a basic recipe with some useful comments here:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/simple-mu ... pe-1327475
And even more interesting discussion and tips here:
https://honest-food.net/how-to-make-mustard-2/
temperate marine climate

svalli
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:11 pm

This is the recipe, which I used as inspiration. http://www.fermentationculture.com/apple-cider-mustard/

Return to “What's Cooking.”