All Foods UK.

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
worth1
Reactions:

All Foods UK.

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:42 pm

Thought I would start a thread in food ways from the United Kingdom.
Including those from its so called colonies or what used to be.
Like Australia Tasmania and New Zealand even Canada.
Very much interested in these types of foods because there are some very tasty treats.
Tonight I'm making a leftover version of bangers and mash.
Americanised with sausage from Argentina.
It's my leftover meatloaf with mashed potatoes last night with the sausage and English peas.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: All Foods UK.

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:05 pm

3F4E0CD6-96C8-4585-A54B-F59081E2B9D6.jpeg
One of my favorite UK exports. I’m 41% Scottish, it’s a genetic predisposition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:20 am

[mention]karstopography[/mention] I love a list too! Although I found one item strange. There's no such thing as a cow shepherd, so shepherd's pie is lamb minced and cottage pie is beef. Some root veg and peas are very welcome in the meat and gravy and the family always love a generous handful of mixed grated cheese when Browning off the mashed topping.

Was surprised there was no mention of creamy mash with scallions which has not a single lump and more butter and cream in it than your local dairy (could substitute cabbage or finely chopped leaks).

And steak and chips, or crispy air fried wedges spiced up.

And soups, carrot and corriander, or potatoes and leek or good old tomato soup or for the more international Englishman tomatoes and pepper soup.

And all those other British dishes such as curry (chicken tikka marsala) or Italian pizza :-)

And the sandwich! Didn't we invent bread ? Or did we just put the leftovers between two slices to save on the washing-up ?

And "winner, winner chicken dinner", spotted *Bleep*, rhubarb crumble and custard, Apple cumble, eve's pudding, bubble and sqeak, eggs and ham (not the green variety), something and chips, something in batter, sausages (not the real meaty kind like in Germany or South africa).

Pasty, Cornish pasty, meat pie (don't ask), cheese on toast, Yorkshire pudding (with gravy or as a dessert), toad in the hole (just read Yorkshire pudding with a sausage in it), did I say gravy, mushy peas (must peas in batter, did I say anything battered?). High tea, pot of tea with cakes, or cucumber sandwiches, cream tea with scones and jam. Bacon and eggs, English bacon from denmark! Eggs, boiled with soldiers, fried egg, scrambled egg, eggs and cream, cold boiled egg sliced with a tiny tiny pinch of chillie, coleslaw, coleslaw with fancy bits in it (waldorf, potatoes, pepper anything really as long as it's mayo), summer pudding, stew (with or without suet dumplings). Baked beans...on toast, with cheese, with chillie spices or with sausages ( not the real meaty variety). tinned spaghetti hoops, alphabet letters, spaceships..whatever.

Chilled cabinet meals, anything as long as it's called "two for one", "three for two"," meal deal" (you get a starter and pudding), or managers special (more of a good luck on that one type of food).

Other traditional meals include, from the butchers, varieties such as "what's that called"," how many does it feed" and "how do I cook it", sausages (with real meat) and bacon (non british(danish) bacon but definitely local).

Vol an vents! Anything creamy in mid summer with a touch of listeria. Prawn cocktail (or is this the seventies?). Triffle, quiche lorraine(sounds French to me), beef burger (with or without real meat), lemon merrangue pie. Scotch eggs. Pork pies. Cold pasties (different from hot pasties).

Anything chocolate, things without chocolate -just add chocolate.

Then to finish off, alka seltzer (and mints).
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 am

Down Under for a long time it was the basic version of English cuisine, minus the Indian influence, although that is certainly changing, with the influx of Southern Europeans after WW2, the Vietnamese coming in. Now, with a little bit of sniffing around, a great variety can be had. The Chinese cuisine has been available to some extent since the Gold rush era.

We are probably in an era of evolution now where non European cuisine is becoming more popular in Oz.

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:25 am

Devonshire Cream, Clotted Cream, OMG, if one hasn’t ever had this, well, one just hasn’t really lived.
In fact, I plan on making my own soon because it is nigh impossible to find here or if found, without breaking the bank.

Tikka Masala, that was mentioned. I love this dish that comes with obvious Indian subcontinent roots, some ancient, and some more modern improvisation.

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/le ... ot-british

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:36 am

My dad's family came from the UK before he was born but they still made a few traditional foods. Every year at Christmas we had Maid of Honor.

These are small tarts or cakes depending on who you ask but they have pie crust or puff pastry in the bottom, seedless raspberry jam in the middle and white cake on top. I think that one old recipe calls for cheese curds instead of cake so that it is more like a cheesecake tart.

According to legend, they were a favorite of Henry VIII who came upon his Queen's Maids of Honor eating them. From that day forward he had the royal baker make them for him.

I have made these every Christmas of my adult life and I really like them.

Image20181223_101247 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:06 am

I mixed up the mashed potatoes with the rest of the meatloaf and baked in oven with the sausage.
Had it with some mushy peas.
Cooked the peas too long so I decided to add a little corn starch to the pea liquid and that's what happened.
Peas spiced with salt pepper mace and nutmeg.
Total accident. :lol:
Turned out really good too because a cold front just hit.
20201223_192743.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:12 am

So, here is my top ten starting with Number 10: Gammon cooked in cider

This is a great and so simple to cook dish. The gammon can be used for a multitude of dishes or it can be the centre piece of a roast and is especially tasty cold with a selection of cheeses and pickles.

Buy uncooked gammon, if it is from the butchers see if you can get one with a nice layer of fat and skin round the outside - this will require two types of cooking - once in the pan or slow cooker and then in the oven with a glaze. If the uncooked gammon is from a supermarket it may not have this, but no worries, you can skip the second bit but you wont have such a glorious looking gammon.

Place the gammon in a slow cooker and add english cider, just enough to stop it drying out or cover it if you wish. Add some bay leaves, some carrot, some peppercorns, some garlic and some cloves if you are going to skip the second cooking in the oven. If you are doing the second cook then the cloves can be inserted into the fatty skin and honey glaze prior to roasting. A little mustard either in the liquid or within the glaze adds to the flavour perfectly.

The slow cooker can take 4-6 hours, by which time the meat will break away very easily, almost like a pulled pork rather than a slicing ham.

Favourite dishes with the gammon are roast dinner, (don't forget the apple sauce) or perfect with a cauliflower cheese which helps to cancel out any saltiness. And as i said, cold it is heaven with cheeses and pickles and chutneys (and i bet with worths cranberry marmalade!).

It's an easy put it on and forget dish, leaving you time to do some more potting on, walking the dogs, washing the car etc. etc.
IMG_20201224_135356.jpg

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:26 am

I’m not sure gammon is all that easy to find here in the USA. Seems like most of the hams I come across are already cooked. Isn’t gammon a salted, but uncooked ham?

We can buy various cuts of pork raw but not salted or cured in any way or hams cured and cooked or cured and hot smoked. Gammon seems to be in between, salted like bacon, but still needing to be cooked.

“Both gammon and ham are cuts from the hind legs of a pig. Gammon is sold raw and ham is sold ready-to-eat,” says Caroline. “Gammon has been cured in the same way as bacon whereas ham has been dry-cured or cooked. Once you’ve cooked your gammon, it is then called ham.”

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... on-and-ham

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:06 am

No need to go without gammon in the USA.
As easily made as falling off----.
Well' a greased hogs back.
Worth

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:08 am

[mention]karstopography[/mention] Yes, it is very common here in the uk. Hence it is my number 10, albeit in exactly number 10 position. It can still remain quite salty after cooking hence going well with a cheesey dish or with cheese and pickles when cold.
Last edited by Amateurinawe on Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:47 am

[mention]worth1[/mention] I’ve cured raw pork belly for bacon and it looks like process is similar for gammon except gammon doesn’t evidently cure for as long of time as bacon. Curing pork belly, the recipe I used, is a dry rub process of about 2 weeks with salt and sugar, the gammon recipe in I looked at shows it as a wet brine of salt and sugar cure for about 3 days.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:55 am

[mention]brownrexx[/mention] loving the looks of those bakes you do. They remind me of Mr kipling cakes with the icing and cherry on top. I wonder if there is a similar taste. They look so tasty and these need to go on my cook list, not really into cakes but these look very nice and would love to taste them.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:23 pm

So the gammon is cooked, we have had with a small selection of julienne vegetables, air fried potatoes and a reduction of the cider sauce. We have half of the gammon left for cold eats with cheese tomorrow - yummy

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:25 pm

[quote=Amateurinawe post_id=36797 time=1608837830 user_id=494]
So the gammon is cooked, we have had with a small selection of julienne vegetables, air fried potatoes and a reduction of the cider sauce. We have half of the gammon left for cold eats with cheese tomorrow - yummy
IMG_20201224_190623.jpg

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:15 pm

I have questions.
1. What is your definition of Pudding?
2. What is Yorkshire Pudding?
3. What is a Scone?
4. Mincemeat pies- do they or do they not have meat in them?
Ingredients and pictures would be welcome.
Thanks,
Nan

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:39 pm

For me;

1) A pudding is something you have after the main meal, it is generally sweet. True pudding involve some king of baked sweet after meal. However, we now refer to pudding as any sweet or creamy dish after the main meal. it could even be non-cooked such as fruit.

2) Yorkshire pudding is a mix of batter and eggs and milk that is whisked and then left to settle, preferably overnight in the fridge. It is then cooked in an oven with dripping or oil in a large metal dish and carved out into squares. Toad in the hole has sausages in it too. It is traditionally server either as a precursor to the meal with gravy or with the main meal. It has also been served as the after meal or pudding along with Jam.

3. Scone is a cake made with baking powder and not yeast and there are many variations around the world. I think I am not alone to call it a scone, however many long to call it a scone.

4. Yes once upon a time, apparently. but generally not today, it is a mixture of dried fruits an spices and the most famous applications of this are in mince pies and christmas pudding. However, the meat legacy may still persist with the use of lard or dripping mixed in with the mincemeat for these puddings.

Thats my take on it all, i am no expert far from it but that is pretty much as i understand.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:46 am

For my next UK meal, we jump to position number 2 in my list, the Full English breakfast. Although, really we should just call it the Full Breakfast as there are many regional variations across the UK and Ireland all with fairly similar components. In any case I shall refer to what I understand as the Full English breakfast, noting that I love all the variations.

So the F.E. is a cooked breakfast consisting of components such as bacon (traditionally back), sausages (any pork variation), eggs (fried, poached, scrambled or folded), black pudding, tomatoes (Grilled, fried or tinned), Mushrooms (Grilled or fried), Baked Beans, hash browns (potatoes and onion in a sort of Rosti style) and Toast (Brown or white – this refers to the type of bread and not how much it is toasted). This is then accompanied with Tea (Mug, pot for one or pot for two) or Coffee. This is then all rounded off with toast and marmalade or jam and perhaps another mug of tea/coffee.

The F.E. has come a long way since I first remember them back in the seventies. Traditionally, you’d have to go to a local “greasy spoon” café, early on a Saturday or Sunday to get your window seat and first grab of the free papers. The café would be quite basic and crammed with square tables which would barely seat four (small) people and the condiments. The gingham tablecloths would be woven or plastic for easy wipe down and tea and coffee would be served by the mug. If your luck was really in, you’d have a matching knife and fork. But the food was plentiful and satisfying whether you were “setting yourself up for the day”, “recovering from a heavy night of drinking the night before” or just wanting to “disappear for a few hours”. Over the decades, the F.E. has evolved into pretty much an anytime-of-day meal, generally costing between £5-£10 and frequently with a range of add-in or take-off items or options to “go big” with a full monty or multiple items (two eggs, two sausages etc.)

Cafes too have evolved and developed over the decades and increase in popularity. The choices and increasing culinary sophistication of cafes with wide choices in coffees, varieties of tea, patisseries, breakfasts and main meals has grown considerably.

So before, I give my take on the F.E. I will mention an additional ingredient that doesn’t always make the plate and the reasoning why will become very apparent. “Bubble and Squeak” is fried left over vegetables, typically from the Sunday Roast. Hence, we have a slight dilemma. Monday is back to work and rarely time to settle down to eat an F.E. let alone cook one. So welcome to the Bank Holidays, timed perfectly being the day after Sunday Roast and so my F.E. on a bank Holiday invariably have an extra ingredient – Bubble and Squeak either just as it comes out of the frier or, if I am feeling a bit more adventurous, shaped in a sort of patty type shape and fried.

So here it is, tip your hat (and your frying pan) for the Full English breakfast (and all the regional variations).
IMG_20201225_111120.jpg
IMG_20201225_113540.jpg

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:27 am

Looks awesome.
On a side note people laugh at the names of the meals in the UK.
Simply from my perspective we speak English.
Now if the Italian language was commonly spoken here we would be flabbergasted as to what many of the other foods are called.
Like worms little worms preist chokers ears and so on.
We choose to continue with the names in that language instead of translating them.
I suppose because it sounds fancy when in reality it isn't.
Now back to eating rags and strings.
Worth

Return to “What's Cooking.”