OJ soda pop

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Shule
Reactions:

OJ soda pop

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Have you tasted what happens when you put baking soda in orange juice? It's amazing.

FYI orange juice has a pH of about 3.0. Baking soda has a pH of about 9.5. Yes, carbonation occurs when you mix baking soda and citric acid (as well as ascorbic acid). It's more carbonation than I expected for OJ (especially since mine was calcium fortified; so the pH was probably above 3.0), but it doesn't look as carbonated as it tastes/feels; it just got a little frothy on top, and not immediately.

Warning: Baking soda contains sodium.

You might expect this to taste bitter or salty, but mine was really good, and creamier tasting than usual.

The OJ I used was the Great Value brand sold in a gallon jug.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Re: OJ soda pop

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:17 am

Try a pinch of baking soda in tomato juice like V/8 or sauce and see what it tastes like.
I use it instead of sugar.
Plus it helps reduce indigestion.
Maybe like a quarter teaspoon per glass.
Too much and it gets nasty.
Keep in mind you will kill the acid so the sauce won't be as stable as it would be.
Not for canning for sure.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:42 am

[mention]worth1[/mention]
Cool. It might work with apple juice, too. It's supposed to be pretty acidic.

I was trying to raise the pH of the OJ when I did it (I've been feeling pretty acidic, lately; orange juice was making a sore in my throat worse and contributing to heartburn, if that's the right word; adding baking soda to my water previously seemed to help; I figured it might make the OJ drinkable without problems). I wasn't thinking about carbonation. It seemed to help on all accounts, though, and the carbonation felt good on my throat.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:04 am

So, today, I opened a can of pineapple chunks and mixed some baking soda in its juices. It foamed instantly, and carbonated; the carbonation wasn't as strong as with the orange juice, but it was delicious; and now I'll probably crave it for years.

My sister tried it with apple juice, but she didn't like that; it did carbonate, though, I believe she said. I haven't tried baking soda in apple juice, yet.

Return to “What's Cooking.”