Mayonnaise Musings.

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Sue_CT
Reactions:

Re: Mayonnaise Musings.

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:12 pm

If anyone doesn't have Dukes locally and you want to try it, you might try what I did. If you have a Walmart near you, order the Dukes online as ship to store for pickup in your local store. Not sure about now, but when I did it a year or so ago, ship to store was no shipping charge. So you just go pick it pu in a coupld of days.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 pm

I never realized that there was such variety in mayonnaise but now I think that I will buy a small jar of Duke's again the next time I go to the store. I want to try it again.

I never make my own mayo not because of any particular reason except for maybe laziness. I don't use an awful lot of it other than to put on sandwiches or for making tartar sauce. I think that it is not really worth making my own for this small amount. I do occasionally make egg salad or potato salad with mayo. Oh and deviled eggs. Yum, but I don't make them very often.

I have heard of mayo on French fries and I did try it but really prefer catsup.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Grated cheese with mayonnaise mixed in makes a killer stuffed celery.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:23 pm

Kraft. When we got married, I told my wife that the only grounds for divorce was running out of Kraft mayonaisse. We haven't run out in 35 years.
The best things in life---are not things.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:00 pm

I don't know what they put in the mayonnaise in the Netherlands but it goes good with French fries. The stuff here in the US just isn't the same.
brownrexx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 pm I have heard of mayo on French fries and I did try it but really prefer catsup.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:17 am

Hellmann’s Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs, Egg Yolks, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Sugar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used to Protect Quality), Natural Flavors

Duke’s Ingredients: Soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

Blue Plate: Soybean Oil, Distilled Vinegar, Egg Yolks, Water, Sugar, Salt, Calcium Disodium EDTA (To Protect Quality), Natural Flavor.

Kraft: Soybean Oil, Water, Vinegar, Eggs, Contains Less than 2% of Sugar, Salt, Egg Yolks, Natural Flavor (Contains Mustard), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Paprika, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to Protect Flavor). Contains egg.

Kewpie: VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OIL, SOYBEAN OIL), EGG YOLK, VINEGAR, SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SPICE, NATURAL FLAVOR

Cains: SOYBEAN OIL, EGG YOLKS, DISTILLED VINEGAR, WATER, SUGAR, SALT, CIDER VINEGAR AND SPICES.'

Heinz: SOYBEAN OIL, EGGS (WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS), DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR, WATER, SALT, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR (CONTAINS MUSTARD), LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FRESHNESS).

Summary, Soybean oil seems to be the ubiquitous oil, only deviation is Kewpie listing Canola in addition to Soybean oil.

Water is listed as the second most prevalent ingredient in Hellmann’s and Kraft. Water goes to Third place for Duke’s, 4th place for Blue Plate, Cain’s and Heinz, Kewpie lists no added water.

Only Blue Plate, Kewpie and Cain’s are egg yolk only mayonnaise. All the others use whole eggs alone or fortified with egg yolks.

All except Kewpie and Cain’s list Calcium Disodium EDTA as an ingredient. Only Kewpie lists MSG as an ingredient. Only Blue Plate has vinegar as the second ingredient. Hellmann’s would be the least vinegary with vinegar coming in at fifth position. Kewpie and Duke’s list no sugar. Sugar comes before salt in Blue Plate, Kraft, and Cain’s.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:41 am

Chosen Foods: Avocado Oil, Filtered Water, Egg Yolks, Organic Whole Eggs, Organic Distilled White Vinegar, Organic Mustard (Distilled Organic Vinegar, Water, Organic Mustard Seed, Salt, Organic Spices), Salt, Organic Rosemary Extract

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:13 am

My jar of Duke's and HEB brand say egg yolks not whole eggs.
HEB brand has mustard flour in it.
Mustard flour is a natural emulsifier as well.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:46 am

Unfortunately ever since the avocado has been proclaimed a super food the industry has had a horrible effect on our water supplies.
In Chile the big growers have sucked the streams dry leaving the common folks with dry stream beds and no water.
Not putting anyone down but the truth of the matter is avocados take up a lot of water.
Worth

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:15 am

I grew up with Hellman's and have used it all my life until a few years ago when I tried Blue Plate which is a staple in parts of the South. To me it tastes pretty much the same and is 50 cents less. Duke's is also one that a lot of folks down here swear by but I like the Hellman's and Blue Plate better.

On the West coast Hellman's goes by the name Best Foods Mayo. In 1932 Best Foods bought Hellman's. The ingredients for both mayos were the same (just the tiniest bit more sodium in one) but the names were kept separate. Still, some people say one is a bit more sweet and the other a bit more tangy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/america ... 017-6?op=1

Kurt
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:40 am

I asked a fish guide one time how he prepares his filets of large gamefish here in Florida.His response was he uses mayonnaise to coat the top of filet with it,add some ground pecan,walnut whatever.Placed on a raised rack in the oven and baked until you see pale white flesh and can smell it in the living room.If wanted pure egg white is a another coating if mayo is not available.The Mayo keeps the top moist,no hard crusty tops of filets.We have been buying a lot of Chilean Sea Bass filets when not fishing.Topped with crushed pecan and pistachio,Mayo mixed,what a meal.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm

For anyone with avocado issues but is concerned with the *hateful eight* oils Kraft Olive mayo's first oil ingredient is olive oil however looking at that ingredient list it's not for me. Making my own would be a better option.

Kraft Olive oil mayo: Water, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Modified Food Starch*, Vinegar, Sugar, Maltodextrin*, Salt, Eggs, Natural Flavor, Mustard Flour, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (To Protect Flavor), Phosphoric Acid*, Dried Onions, Dried Garlic, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect flavor), Beta Carotene* (Color).

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:43 pm

I bought some Blue Plate and Kewpie today. Had the Blue plate mayonnaise on my ham sandwich for lunch. Yum.

Noticed at the store all the different mayonnaise even within the same brand, olive oil, canola, light, organic, etc. Saw a number with avocado oil.

Fish, usually redfish, fillets topped with mayonnaise are a thing we also do. Lemon juice, onion, melted butter and Parmesan cheese get blended and spread over the fillets. Really good.

We use mayonnaise up 10X faster than any other condiment with the exception of salsa and picante sauce. Ketchup ends up getting dark and expired before we finish it off. Not much of a ketchup using family. I suppose the ketchup lovers could do a thread on which ketchup rules on flavor. Ketchup seems like more of a northern/northeastern USA centric condiment. When I lived in New England, people often put gobs of ketchup on hot dogs, hamburgers and scrambled eggs, among other things. Wonder if there’s any data on regional differences for condiments that are the most popular in various areas?

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:59 pm

[mention]karstopography[/mention]
Huh. I eat plenty of ketchup, but I eat more ketchup than most people here, too. Never tried it on eggs as far as I recall. Our recent ketchup (Great Value brand) is extremely acidic, though; so, I'm trying not to eat as much of that at a time (apparently, I don't need as much of it with that kind, either).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:15 am

I saw someone drown prime rib in ketchup one time.
Then there's the dreaded ketchup chili.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:58 am

Ketchup has been around a long time before tomato Ketchup.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 am

https://www.history.com/news/ketchup-su ... nt-history

Wonder how many of us would like the earlier, non-tomato based versions? I’d give them a shot.

“One oyster ketchup recipe from the 1700s called for 100 oysters, three pints of white wine and lemon peels spiked with mace and cloves. The commemorative “Prince of Wales” ketchup, meanwhile, was made from elderberries and anchovies. Mushroom ketchup was apparently Jane Austen's favorite.”

brownrexx
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:40 am

Euuu. I think I will stick to the tomato variety.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:31 am

I'm not a big ketchup eater, personally - same story with the nearly full bottle going dark on the shelf. The opposite is true for the Hellman's which I usually stock up on when it goes on special. I usually have backup in the pantry, and even in the pandemic lockdowns, never came close to a mayo emergency. ;)
The regional condiment for fries here is malt vinegar. I also must have my salt and malt vinegar on the fries, but have mayo on the side for dipping in.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:10 am

Yes, I love fish and chips (fries) with malt vinegar. I would guess Newfoundland retains more British/Scottish/Irish/Welsh traditional cuisine than the 13 colonies. I’d like to do a another trip to the British Isles and get some pub food. Went to Ireland 25 years ago and England 40 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the food.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 37686.html

Evidently, ketchup has been supplanted by mayonnaise in the UK.

Return to “What's Cooking.”