Squash ketchup/salsa

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Shule
Reactions:

Squash ketchup/salsa

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:16 pm

worth1 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:58 am Ketchup has been around a long time before tomato Ketchup.
Yeah. I read about that a few years ago. :) Soon afterward, I invented a squash ketchup/salsa:

Here's the ingredient list:

• Pre-baked squash (sweet non-bitter winter squash, like Porcelain Doll F1, Blue Doll F1 or Long Island Cheese Pumpkin)
• Plenty of peppers (they can be chile peppers if you want)
• White mushrooms
• Onions (no garlic, but if you must violate the recipe and use garlic, please cook the garlic separately and mingle it in after the squash ketchup is done so the garlic won't react with the squash as much; don't cook it with the squash; note that I like garlic on most things--I just think it gives squash a strong and unpleasant chemical cola-type taste, and I don't like cola.)
• Oregano
• A little vinegar, to a little bit more vinegar (I probably used distilled white vinegar)
• Plenty of salt (low sodium on this recipe would probably taste a lot different)
• Black pepper (I think I used black pepper, anyway)
• Water (in case the squash absorbs too much of the liquid, which it probably will)
• Cheese (add when it's pretty much done, and melt it in thoroughly; I probably used mild cheddar)

Despite the fact that melted cheese is an ingredient, the condiment can (and should) certainly be refrigerated and used cold (although you can use it warm, too). For some unknown reason, the cheese doesn't get all gross and chunky with obvious separated fat, and it stays mixed pretty well with everything else (but if the possibility worries you, add an emulsifier and/or eat it warm). It's great with corn chips, spread generously on already cooked pizza (yes, cold squash ketchup on warm pizza is good; it's a great way to instantly jazz up a one-topping pizza), burritos (I've only tried it with those packaged baked frozen beef and bean chimichangas that you can buy), and such. I haven't tried it on hamburgers or hotdogs, but it would probably be good.

I would make squash ketchup a lot more (it's one of my favorite condiments), but I don't have a continual supply of sweet non-bitter winter squash.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “What's Cooking.”