Quick tomato paste

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Quick tomato paste

Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:34 pm

Well, not totally quick, as I started it a couple nights ago, in the dehydrator! :lol:

This morning I made the paste, using some slightly dried tomatoes - not dry enough that they could be stored, but it removed a lot of the moisture, making it much faster than cooking down sauce, and much cleaner! I went through my junk tomatoes a couple nights ago, and cored them, and cut out the bad spots, and put them on parchment, in the dehydrator, and reduced to about 1/4 the original weight. Turns out, I had to add a little more water, to get it to circulate in the Vitamix, but I got it circulating, and left it on high for about 3 minutes - the skin and seeds are GONE after this, and it's steaming slightly. Usually, skin and seeds have to me removed at some point, using a food mill, but with tomatoes, as well as chile peppers, skins and seeds are totally ground up in the VM. I learned that the first time I made one of those things in it, and went to press it through a strainer, and there was nothing in it! This took less than 20 minutes, not including cutting up the tomatoes, and the dehydrating!
ImageHalf dried tomatoes, blended in Vitamix, until steamy, about 3 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I wiped a wok lightly with oil, before adding the paste, and cooked it on med-high, scraping almost constantly - like cooking a Mexican paste.
ImageTomato paste cooked in wok on med-high, for just a minute. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I cooked it about 7 minutes - what I cook most of those Mexican sauces for - to get it to a thick paste.
ImageTomato paste, cooked for 7 minutes, ready to cool. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageTomato paste, cooked and cooling, to put in the freezer - a little over 5 lbs cooked down to 13.5 oz. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Quick tomato paste

Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:05 pm

Did you add garlic or seasonings? It looks good!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:37 pm

[mention]PlainJane[/mention] No, I didn't add any seasonings, since this is just one of many seasonings I add to the dishes I use it in, and the small amount of seasonings added to a paste, really wouldn't add much to a dish.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:10 pm

Mine is coming along nicely.
Taking untold hours.
Definitely not quick. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 am

This is really cool!
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Return to “What's Cooking.”