Hello From PA

Tell us about yourself!
JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: Hello From PA

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:32 pm

[mention]Shule[/mention] Horseradish??? I have no words.

[mention]Gardadore[/mention] Hand delivered cross-country scrapple, now that is awesome. If I was TSA I couldn't be trusted. I would flag it and then take it home to eat! Or maybe it wouldn't make it out of the break room.

[mention]Sue_CT[/mention] Grinder!? not in PA!

[mention]worth1[/mention] German, you say?! That must be why people steer clear of the "Dutch Navy" while down on the Bay. They must think we are German Raiders, come to board them! All this time I thought they were simply scared of being rammed by careless boaters with one hand on the outboard tiller while the other hand sticks a finger in that little hole in the transom, to keep the water out. Dumb little dutch boys from PA...they need a beer hat just to hold their lagers while they drive the boat... :shock:

On my side of the state they are hoagies made with oil. With a soda to drink. If you guys don't like it, tough, get lost, go back to the burgh. I had a roommate from a close Philly suburb and another from Pittsburgh suburb at the same time...it could get nasty. Especially sports. You would think every Pittsburgh area native was personally involved with the "stillers" in the 70s. Even the ones born in the 80s. If you don't believe that, take a hike. When Pittsburgh friends came it was all yins and pops and subs slathered with mayo and "another dead soldier" for every beer can crushed. There were yins and yu'ins but I don't know exactly where each starts. Growing up I'd hear that while visiting in Bedford Co. which is right along the MD and WV border. It is crazy though, two sides of the state sharing a common language.

I have to wonder how much longer local terms and colliquiallisms(sp?) will even persist. With everything digital and media driven and chain stores and restaurants and PCed and typed and read instead of spoken and heard...how long can dialects persist? A few generations? I think a lot of culture difference and nuances are already dead or overwritten. Here's one tomato related. I say "florida weave" because I learned it on the internet, but some local mennonites I know have called the exact same thing "cat's cradle". Just typing that made me think of the Foxfire books. So much has been lost already.

Regarding scrapple, I'm from an hour out of Philadelphia but basically small town/dutch country. Of course, commonly spoken and written as "dutch" but is understood as meaning deutsch, german. Hoffman, Schultz, Wensel or Schott. Not Van Buren or DeVries. I grew up eating Hatfield scrapple. Likely bought at Weis' Markets. Pburgh roommate says, what?, Hatfield, that national brand junk! It's so bland! He starts ripping off local Pittsburgh scrapple brands that I had never heard of at home. I say, NO, it's a national brand because it's GOOD! And it's made pretty close to home (Hatfield, PA) so it a LOCAL brand to me, anyway!(note paraphrased and edited heavily for language from memory). Philly roommate tells us that ALL scrapple was gross! His dad was fresh off a boat from the Med, and they had no PA traditions...He liked hoagies but gyros were better. It's some kind of goat meat sandwich, but hot, I think?! A friend from Long Island also thought scrapple sounded gross. But keep in mind this was a kid who, on the first day in the dorms, pointed out the window and exclaimed "I can see @#$@ cows from here! Right there, #%@^ cows! Hey Cow! MOO MOOOO!" So yeah, I wouldn't expect him to go for scrapple. He wanted pizza or a Hero.

I've tried more than a few over the years, but like Hatfield as much as anything else from a store or butcher shop. Nowadays I make my own (100% deer scrapple) and we like that better than pork/beef scrapple - very lean and meaty, and like homemade sausage, we know exactly what goes into it. It cost nothing but time, made from bones that used to go in the trash - neck, ribs, blades, pelvis. For most of my life, I had no idea scrapple was so easy to make. I made my first batch...kinda experimenting off some internet recipes. Not handed down through the family or anything. Anyway, I just brought some up from the freezer yesterday. I use mainly salt and pepper as spices, with corn meal, white flour, and oatmeal as thickeners. It is very meaty scrapple, not a pan haus made with what passes through a strainer.

Can't wait to fry some up, probably eat some plain, some with ketchup, and some with maple syrup. You can see some fat on the surface due to pan cooling that could be scraped off before frying, but the loaf is lean. Deer meat doesn't have fat marbled in the muscle like beef or pork; it is separate. I actually use a little butter to cook so it doesn't get too hard of a crust. Scrapple is already cooked like a hot dog or any other cooked sausages and could be opened and eaten safely without frying/browning. I'll cook this in ~3/8" slices for 8-10 minutes per side on low/med.
05.JPG

Well I went and cooked and forgot to post. I had to trim a little off to fit 8 slices into the pan and ate that cold. So good. Could serve that as appetizers. What a lunch. Scrapple, a little pear syrup, and zuchini sour dough bread. Life is good.
06.JPG
07.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:01 am

Deer scrapple does sound good. Locally buckwheat is the preferred filler. Must admit I am a convert who would not have known the difference. But now I can tell and also prefer scrapple made with buckwheat. Probably preferences are based on what you are used to. The best scrapple for me after this local made one was from a company in Easton. I forget the name but it is no longer in existence.

asaump
Reactions:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm

Welcome aboard!
Ken

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:23 pm

I was hoping to try buckwheat sometime. It is in the ingredient list in the Hatfield "Lean". A lot of butcher shops just use corn meal and flour.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:42 pm

I believe buckwheat has become more expensive so can understand why butcher shops would use corn. The only local butcher shop I go to that still makes fresh scrapple uses buckwheat but frankly I only buy it out of season when we go to Arizona. It is almost 4 times as expensive as the “oldttimers’ scrapple and not as good!

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 pm

JRinPA wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:41 am Oh, we can tell what part of PA he is from answers to a few questions. These type questions used to draw the lines up in state college.
1. What do you call a can of coca-cola or other carbonated beverage? "No I'll run in, you stay here, do you want a drink? / Yeah I could go for a ____"
2. What do you call a sandwich made with ham salami provolone LTO in a 12" roll? "I'm ordering some ______s, do you want one?"
2a. What condiment do you want put on the roll of that sandwich?
3. What brand of scapple do you like?
4. Greeting a group of friends: you guys or y'ins
I've lived in the State College area for over half of my life. One of the things that I loved about this area while attending college here and made me stay in the area is that there are so many people from other places that it makes it interesting. There's a lot of different beliefs, languages and ways of doing things and people are more accepting of others differences here than in my hometown. I love the variety and acceptance of the differences.

Can you guess which part of PA I'm originally from [mention]JRinPA[/mention] ?
1. Now: by the actual name of the product (rootbeer, Pepsi, Coke, Sprite, etc. or the generic "something to drink" although for me that would be juice)
Hometown: pop

2. Now: sub
Hometown: hoagie

2a. Now: depends on my mood - mayonnaise, honey mustard, etc.
Hometown: Italian dressing

3. Now: heard of it from my husband but never knew you could buy it pre-made. I'd never eat it. (I'm vegetarian.)
Hometown: never heard of it and don't think people ate it there

4. Now: everybody
Hometown: yunz AND you guys
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Greentoes
Reactions:

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Barmaley wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:05 pm Hi all,

Finally I found a forum for tomato growers!!! For month I was trying to log on Tomatoville but the farther I could get was to create an account. Nobody bothered to activate my account so I could not post or see pictures for about a month!!! I send numerous emails to Mishka and at all other possible email accounts at the site but his email was not functioning as well as all others! Hopefully this site will work and I am very excited to make new friends here!!!
Another newbie here! I also spent about 2 yrs trying to get an account activated to Tomatoville with zero responses on multiple occasions. At least I'm familiar with many people already due to lurking on those boards and reading a wealth of information; I did miss out on the majority of photos due to no access.

Where is Squibb? Is he going to post all those lovely garden photos and updates?

So nice to finally get in the mix.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:02 pm

Welcome and glad to have you here Greentoes. Squibb is here and posts everyday. Come on in and join the fun and make your own intro thread so that people here can meet you.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Introductions”