Hello from the Seattle, WA area

Tell us about yourself!
farmersteve
Reactions:

Hello from the Seattle, WA area

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:13 am

My name is Steve. I live in a suburb east of downtown Seattle called Woodinville. I've been growing tomatoes here for about 17 years. Never taking it too seriously until the past couple of years. People complain that it's impossible to grow tomatoes in the Seattle area, but I usually don't have much problem ripening all but the very latest varieties. Our summers are usually dry, dry, dry so disease isn't a problem until the winter rains start falling in late September. We have to have all our fruit off usually by the first week of October or it rots on the vine.

I mostly grow my tomatoes in raised beds in a protected area on the south side of my house where it's warmest. Heat is always a challenge here. We don't get the continuous crops that people on the east coast get from June through September, ours all seems to come at once and then it's all over. Starting seeds early indoors is a must to get a jump start on growing. I have about 1/2 acre I could expand my gardening into but pretty far from my main house and there is no water lines back there. I'd also have to put up a deer/rabbit fence so I am mulling that over. I can always use more tomatoes since I have teenagers and we eat a lot of spaghetti.

This year I am growing some tomatoes from the dwarf project, Adelaide Festival, Rosella, Tasmanian Chocolate, Dwarf brandyfred. Also about 10 san marzano plants for my pizza/pasta sauces. I also like Japanese tomatoes so I am growing a couple of Momotaro which have done nicely for me. Then my wife would kill me if I didn't have some Sungolds in the mix. I plan on exploring more dwarf tomatoes and want to grow some exotic types.

I am always looking for new, early ripening varieties that are interesting. Anyone else from the Seattle area? Always looking for growing tips from this area.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Hello from the Seattle, WA area

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:17 am

Welcome to the Junction Steve. So glad to have you and happy that you found us here.
~ Patti ~

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Welcome Steve!
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Welcome to the Junction from So Cal

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Welcome to the Junction from Down Under Steve

Volvo
Reactions:

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Ditto to the above :), another welcome onboard from Downunder..

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:41 am

Hello from the exact opposite area of the country. We of necessity must grow our tomatoes in winter here in South Florida. Welcome!
- Marsha

root_grow
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi Steve :) I'm over a bit north of Aberdeen (for now), it's good to see a new face from the PNW here!

seasyde
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi Steve,

Welcome!

I'm in Seattle proper, complete with teeny tiny city lot!

farmersteve
Reactions:

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:04 am

root_grow wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:38 pm Hi Steve :) I'm over a bit north of Aberdeen (for now), it's good to see a new face from the PNW here!
How's the tomato crop this year? I am way behind from the past couple of years. I was eating tomatoes in late July in 2018 and early August last year.

root_grow
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:19 am

[mention]farmersteve[/mention] It has been a strange year. On top of the cold weather, we moved in April so my timing on everything was wonky and I am just learning how to grow under cover this year - so I might not be the best person to ask. I think I managed normal timing for the 2 plants I put outside though, and their fruit is only half way to full size, still weeks from ripening if they ever will. They are Azoychka and Ananas Noire, the 2 earliest large tomatoes the last 2 years. Among the tunnel tomatoes, a select few started ripening in July, cherries kicked in early August, and the larger ones are just starting or starting to think about ripening now, definitely later than I would have expected.

In previous years the earliest I've ever had any tomatoes at all was 5 August, so I'd say you do pretty well up there getting fruit in late July some years!

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 am

Welcome [mention]farmersteve[/mention]!
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

farmersteve
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:54 am

root_grow wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:19 am @farmersteve It has been a strange year. On top of the cold weather, we moved in April so my timing on everything was wonky and I am just learning how to grow under cover this year - so I might not be the best person to ask. I think I managed normal timing for the 2 plants I put outside though, and their fruit is only half way to full size, still weeks from ripening if they ever will. They are Azoychka and Ananas Noire, the 2 earliest large tomatoes the last 2 years. Among the tunnel tomatoes, a select few started ripening in July, cherries kicked in early August, and the larger ones are just starting or starting to think about ripening now, definitely later than I would have expected.

In previous years the earliest I've ever had any tomatoes at all was 5 August, so I'd say you do pretty well up there getting fruit in late July some years!
Oh boy, Aberdeen is a tough place to grow. We are so much warmer in the central Puget Sound area. I feel for you. The nights are already turning cool and have a heavy dew this morning. Not good for the tomatoes. But it will be sunny and dry for the next two weeks so I will starting getting a crop here soon. It's years like this that make me think about a high tunnel or trying all the really early varieties...

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:07 pm

I'm late to the party, but welcome from southwest Missouri!
The best things in life---are not things.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Welcome.
I used to spend the night in Seattle once a month when coming home to Texas from Alaska.
Stayed in a dumpy run down hotel next to Denny's.
Could afford better but I liked the place.
Next to the airport.
Nice lady worked night's there.
When I called she knew my voice and we always had nice talks.
I would call and ask, do you have a room with a balcony?
She would reply Mr ----- welcome back I'll send a driver.
She was in hetr 60s.
Shuttle drivers knew me too.
Waitress at Denny's knew me and what I wanted.
Double meat cheeseburger with extra fries.
Sort of like a midway to Texas family.
Looked at the area on satellite last night.
The old hotel is gone dozed to the ground.
That old place must have really been something back in it's day.
Had an old elevator.
Had some old antique cars too.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Introductions”