Hi from Los Angeles

Tell us about yourself!
Harry Cabluck
Reactions:

Re: Hi from Los Angeles

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Howdy, and welcome from Austin, Texas...about 25 miles northwest of Bastrop, Texas. Your tomato-growing ideas are welcome hereabouts.
Refrain from calculating the total number of poultry...before the process of incubation has fully materialized.

DavidO
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:05 pm

[mention]bobrarian[/mention] It does seem like a lot of us here! Really excited about that haahahaha.

I am about 2 miles away from the ocean and we get June gloom for more then just June! Last year it felt like we had it from April to July! It is amazing at how many different types of climates we get in LA County. I feel like right now I am in an explorer phases just trying to try out as many different varieties as possible to see what does well here. A lot of the varieties I use to grow growing up dont work as well here.

Its funny you mentioned that because I was actually going to try and grow Brandywine Sudduth this year...I guess we will see how it goes!

bobrarian
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:06 pm

I currently work (and used to live) on the Westside, so I'm familiar with the coastal climate. You should have a long growing season with cooler weather. Although I remember one heat wave last summer when it got to 100 degrees even along the coast! That was insane. It got up to 111 where I am, and made my tomato plants a bit crispy. That pretty much ended my growing season.

You should definitely give Brandywine a try! Your growing conditions should be better suited to growing it. I'd be curious to know how it goes.

Bobby
It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato. - Lewis Grizzard

DavidO
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:39 pm

[mention]bobrarian[/mention] Thanks I will definitely be sure to keep you updated!

peebee
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:38 pm

You can certainly grow Brandywine, like you can grow almost any tomato hereabouts, but I doubt it will be productive. I grew it several years ago, but alas got very few tomatoes. I think they do best in colder climes.
And for me personally, dwarfs & pastes will no longer be attempted in my garden. I've wasted far too much time & effort on them, for such disappointing results.
But do try growing what you want, there will always be surprises & exceptions! That's the thrill of gardening 🙂
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

DavidO
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 pm

[mention]peebee[/mention] Definitely I do love how everyone can grow different things. I am not sure about the pastes, I grew san marzano tomatoes 2 years ago and had mixed results with BER. I didnt have my irrigation in at that point or my beds so I am interested in trying a paste again. Are you by the coast or more inland?

peebee
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:04 pm

I'm in Torrance within 5 miles of the coast I'd guess.
You hit it on the nail about pastes here--BER. Plus low productivity. But I've read about how some gardeners in S. CA have raved about them. I must've tried at least 5 varieties.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:12 am

Welcome to TomatoJunction! It's good to have you. :)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:19 am

I wish we had some ivy. I want to grow some in the house to help clean the air; I'm hoping to try growing it from seed, some day. I used to have a plant from a cutting my grandma gave me.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Texgal
Reactions:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:47 am

Howdy and welcome!
~ Emmie ~

DavidO
Reactions:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm

[mention]Shule[/mention] oh man I can ship you truck loads hahahah. even after we got rid of the ivy 2 years ago it is still my most hated/active weed in my backyard. It's so prolific that I accidentally dropped part of the steam of one when carrying it out to burn in an unholy fire only to find that it had rooted a few days later.

LindyAdele
Reactions:

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:00 pm

Welcome! So glad to have you here!
I hope you can post pictures of your amazing backyard " farm" someday. I also just have a city backyard garden, but alas, no fruit trees!
What is your favourite tomato?
LINDY

zone 5
short season, with hot summers, Ontario Canada
Enchanted by colourful vegetables that can be grown in her city backyard, world cuisine, forests and firelight.

DavidO
Reactions:

Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:32 pm

[mention]LindyAdele[/mention] Defiantly will post some pics at some point. Thats pretty hard since I am still relatively new at gardening but from the ones I have grown so far I would have to say druzba. This year though I am growing another 11 different tomatoes so, maybe I will find a new one!

Return to “Introductions”