Vacuum sealer for food

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Vacuum sealer for food

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:35 pm

On another tack, does anyone have a tried-and-true vacuum food sealer (like a Foodsaver)? I've been thinking of getting E one for Christmas. He had an old Foodsaver which already wasn't quite working when I met him. Ideally, it would be usable for both canister and bag sealing, and hopefully the bags/canisters wouldn't be so expensive as to make it cost prohibitive. I did a search for top food sealers, and found at least five different rankings.

Thanks,

Ann

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Re: Vacuum sealer for food

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:51 pm

You can get food sealers in all price ranges from cheap to outlandishly expensive.

I've had this one for almost 2 years and it performs flawlessly. I don't overwork it and who's to say it won't bite the dust tomorrow. But so far, it has sealed everything to my liking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MX ... UTF8&psc=1

I buy bags on Amazon too and they seem reasonable to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY ... UTF8&psc=1 for pints.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JG ... UTF8&psc=1 for quarts.
The best things in life---are not things.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:00 pm

I got a Foodsaver a few years ago, to replace a 15 year old one, that did not owe me anything, for sure! I use that all the time, for both meats and vegetables, that get frozen, as well as many dry things, like spices, as well as grains and legumes, that I buy in large quantities. I but rolls of plastic material, instead of bags, as that is cheaper. The second FS I got has a section inside to store the roll in, for convenience.

Here is the one I have:
ImageHere's the Foodsaver I have. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here it is opened up:
ImageHere's the inside of my Foodsaver, showing the holding section for the roll, and the removable drip section. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And something I did early on, with the first one, was to build a simple shelf, so I could store it on the counter, and slide it out anytime I need it. I keep my oils, some peppers, and other odds and ends over it, and it is plugged in so it's ready to go at all times.
ImageHere it is slid under the simple shelf that I built to store it under, so it is readily available. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

These things will pay for themselves, as the things you store in them will store much longer than in regular freezer bags. When I last cleaned out my freezer, I was amazed at how little I threw out! The only things you have to worry about is bones, or something like that poking a hole in them; in boneless things, you just have to be sure you pack them properly. With bones that have points on them I use a small piece of wet/dry sandpaper, to smooth them down - works every time!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:00 pm

The best is one of those vacuum chamber sealers but who can afford one.

I have also used just zip lock bags or zipper bags with my food dunked in water to seal stuff like chicken.
It works very well.
As for soups I just remove all air and it is good to go without a sealer.
One time I hooked a needle like you air up a football to a vacuum hose and connected it to the carburetor on my motorcycle and used it as a vacuum pump.
That works great too.
I was looking for a vacuum sealer and my friend gave me one of the first food savers ever made.
So I stopped looking.
I use the rolls not the pre made bags.
But a lot of stuff I still use the water dunk thing and as for soups I still just get all the air out.
I remember the old days when we froze fish in water in the plastic freezer containers and you can still do it with just about anything today with the freezer bags.
The point is to get the air from around the food.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:51 pm

I have a foodsaver now that I love. I previously had them but the style that lays flat on the counter and I didn't use them as much. Problem being I had to get it out and put it away every time I wanted to use it. The one I have now is not the one in the link, but the same brand and footprint/style. It is only a few inches deep but tall. Because it is only about 4" deep it sits along the back of my counter and does not use up much usable counter space and is there whenever I need it. I use it so much more than I did the other ones. They probably don't sell the same model I have any more because it is several years old. It can be used with canisters also. Bought mine at Costco. If you have a large kitchen and can afford to devote a drawer to one of the ones that would fit in a drawer and can just be pulled out and used whenever you need it, I have been told that works well, too. I don't have a large enough kitchen to devote a drawer or cabinet to one, so one that doesn't have a large footprint and can stay out on the counter works best for me. I found ease of access and ease of use was key or I didn't use it that much.

Huh, won't let me post the link to it on Amazon. Sorry about that. Here is my old one.
Last edited by Sue_CT on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:24 pm

You're right, [mention]Sue_CT[/mention] - this is one of those things that if you have to pull it out every time you need it, it won't get used nearly enough! That's why I put it under that shelf; that idea of the vertical type is good, too.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Preserving Methods, share recipes and techniques!”