Great Herb Farm

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Great Herb Farm

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:31 pm

My husband and I went on a short road trip this morning. It was nice to drive through the country and see farming region about an hour and 1/2 from our house. We visited J & B Herb Farm in Roxboro, NC this morning. The business was started by two former musicians and has evolved into one of the largest herb growers on the east coast. They are primarily a wholesale business, but are open for retail on Friday and Saturdays from 9:00-12:00.

Now that the big spring rush is over we had the place to ourselves. The two staff on duty were so nice and helpful. They have about 20 greenhouses so we went with our list and the staff helped us locate what we were looking for.

Here is a photo of what we picked out. They grow all their herbs in 4 inch bio-degradable rice hull pots. Very nice plants for $4.00 each tax included.
We have honey bees and my husband especially wanted chamomile, which can be hard to find.
Here is what we found:
Chamomile
Dill Teddy
Italian Flat Parsley
Curled Parsley
Lavender Goodwins Creek
Herbs From J and B Farm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Re: Great Herb Farm

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:55 pm

The rice hull pots sound good! I haven't seen anything like it in our area, but eventually these new techs will find their way here... ;)
What other plants do you especially like for your bees?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi Bower,
We have some Borage, Sunflowers, Honeywort, and Mountain Mint all planted primarily for the bees.
We also have blueberries, and blackberries which they like.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:27 pm

I just looked up honeywort because I never heard of it... ooooh they are pretty!! :D Nice bonus to keeping bees. 8-)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Herbs”