Re-potting curry tree

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re-potting curry tree

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:39 pm

I knew my curry tree would need re-potted this spring, as it would dry out in a very short time after soaking. I sliced off most of the root ball, leaving just a 6" ball. I made some potting mix of peat, perlite, worm castings, vermiculite, and some diatomaceous earth, particles and powder. I put some organic granular fertilizer in it, and when I brought it inside, I moistened it with some Bt israelensis, like I always do with indoor plants. I put it in a 5 gal bucket this time - I might have put it in a slightly larger pot, if I had one, but all I had were much larger ones.
ImageRe-potting the curry tree, after cutting off most of the root ball. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCurry tree, re-potted, 3-30-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I didn't trim the top, but I will soon, as I need a half cup of leaves for a fresh batch of sambar masala.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Re-potting curry tree

Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:33 pm

Well, it only took 2 years and that tree got rootbound again. Even after trimming the stalks, which usually makes several more go out from each branch, just didn't do anything. In previous years, it would have grown considerably, once it was put outside, so I knew I had to re-pot it. I'll post a photo of what it does, when it finally takes off.

I had to pound the fabric pot, to loosen the roots, then I sliced much of it off. I loosened much of the soil from the roots, and sifted it, and used about half that, and half that peat/coir/worm castings/perlite mix, with the micorrhyzae, plus I put some Biotone in as organic fertilizer. We'll see how fast this kicks in.
ImageRootball of the curry tree, definitely rootbound, and showing signs of it, which made me re-pot it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHere is the curry tree, with at least 2/3 of the ball trimmed off, to re-pot. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

PlainJane
Reactions:

Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:20 am

Has a very fibrous root system.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:15 pm

PlainJane wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:20 am Has a very fibrous root system.
Reminds me of a cedar elm root system.
A cedar elm is not a cedar. :)
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:59 pm

All of the things I have grown in large pots, to bring indoors in the offseason, get fibrous, like that, in 2 or 3 years. First time I ever grew rosemary in a pot, only about a gallon pot, as directed to do in some herb book I had back then, the rosemary grew solid fibers in less than a year! Almost everything I start in 3 or 4 gal now. These older plants (the curry tree and younger kaffir lime is 11 or 12 years old, the older kaffir lime is 22 or 23 years old) get rootbound faster. This is why I've thought about "making" another curry tree, but the seeds and cuttings didn't work, but I'll try again.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Herbs”