Summer Savory

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Summer Savory

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:07 pm

I grow Summer Savory from time to time for drying and using. I got mine going early this year so I've never been faced with it's tolerance to cold. How does it handle frost (or doesn't it?).....anyone take it down to mild freezes upper 20s/low 30s and have it come out ok?

bower
Reactions:

Re: Summer Savory

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:46 pm

I think the general guidance is to plant it after your last frost date. You can always use row cover though, to protect early plantings from a frosty night.

Winter Savory is more frost tolerant (and perennial) but doesn't have the sweetness of flavor that makes summer savory so popular.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks Bower! That's what I read and being a Mediterranean origin plant I suspect it would not like frost. I'll probably pot mine up and keep it in the cold frame as I'm likely to have frosts yet. Never have grown winter savory, when I was reading about herbs, the summer savory sounded tastier.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 pm

End-season plants seem to handle frost a little bit better than tomatoes. So, the plants die when it gets very cold (I'm not 100% sure of the answer to your question, though). I'm not sure about seedlings.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:20 pm

I just planted seeds of "Compact" summer savory and winter savory. I like to have both herbs on hand for fall/winter cooking.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:47 am

I have some seeds for savory. But never grown it nor used it. This has persuaded me to plant a pot of two this year. Where it is all going to go I don't know yet.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:08 pm

Amateurinawe wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:47 am I have some seeds for savory. But never grown it nor used it. This has persuaded me to plant a pot of two this year. Where it is all going to go I don't know yet.
Would it go in the parking space reserved for Dolly?

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 pm

[mention]Tormato[/mention] Dolly and Miss Scarlett are coming up good and they have VIP parking spaces along with SOTW, the 'erbs will have to make due with parking in any vacant space at any vacant height in the multistorey carpark that is going to be my garden if these blooming seeds keep sprouting....And I was hoping to sneak the odd pot into the next door vacant area but it looks like the house is sold (subject to contract) so that is not an option...i have started offering out plants, there is no other option or it is the day of the triffids for me...

I have flowers forming on some of my crosses, so had to re-arrange my small lean-to greenhouse, but the flowers are too early....the carpark is full and the cars keep coming...
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:47 pm

[mention]Amateurinawe[/mention] summer savory will elevate lentils onto another level of flavor. I planted some summer savory, but it remains tiny and seemingly lacking something to grow. Still, dried summer savory is a great herb to have in the cabinet.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Amateurinawe wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:47 am I have some seeds for savory. But never grown it nor used it. This has persuaded me to plant a pot of two this year. Where it is all going to go I don't know yet.
Even though I only know for sure that I love it in one recipe, it's still my favorite herb to grow and smell. The flowers look like fairy lights on mine, too (the pictures I see on Google don't show that). My plants don't get big: maybe 1.5' tall. They can reseed if you leave the plants out all winter (but that'll reduce your stem harvest a lot).

[mention]karstopography[/mention]
Great to know about lentils. I've heard summer savory is good with beans and eggs. I've just used them with a baked Kikinda Competition Strain gourd recipe, which has other important ingredients, too, and tastes kind of like lasagna. Summer savory smells a lot like oregano to me, and it's in some Italian seasoning that we have.

I wonder if it's good in chili.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:51 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:47 pm @Amateurinawe summer savory will elevate lentils onto another level of flavor. I planted some summer savory, but it remains tiny and seemingly lacking something to grow. Still, dried summer savory is a great herb to have in the cabinet.
Lentils, that's about all I use it for.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:06 pm

I use it in a variety of soups and dishes and as part of a mix for seasoning roasts. I can’t see why a little in some chili wouldn’t hurt, I’d say experiment and see how you like it!

bower
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:55 pm

I eat lentils pretty often, and I eat savory pretty often, but never put the two together... will have to try it! :) and the chili too... ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm

A Dutch friend once told me that summer savory and string beans go together like brother and sister. They are pretty good together.

When I grew savory in the ground it would self-sow fairly early in the spring.

Return to “Herbs”