More Mexican herbs - Hoja Santa and Mexican Oregano

pepperhead212
Reactions:

More Mexican herbs - Hoja Santa and Mexican Oregano

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Has anybody here grown these? I grew hoja santa a few years ago, and still have a couple Foodsaver packs of seeds in the freezer. I put some of both of these seeds in petri dishes with the GA-3 today - Hoja Santa and Mexican Oregano. The Hoja Santa is small, but the Oregano even smaller - I got them out of dried flowers in some Mexican Oregano I got recently, using eye loupes and tweezers. I got one to germinate in a Jiffy pellet a while back, but it just wouldn't grow. I'll see how these do. The hoja santa was from 2016, and when I grew it then, the plants got huge.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Re: More Mexican herbs - Hoja Santa and Mexican Oregano

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:41 pm

I got seeds from Trade Winds Fruit last year. The seed germinated and I saw sports of green in the trays, but it never got big enough to see leaves.

I saw it in San Antonio and thought the plant would be fun to grow. I'm thinking about trying to direct sow it in a larger container this year or just getting a plant on eBay. How are yours doing?

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: More Mexican herbs - Hoja Santa and Mexican Oregano

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 pm

No luck, unfortunately - none of the old hoja santa leaves germinated, and only that one Mexican oregano, but it didn't grow at all. When I carefully dug it up, there were no roots, just the one shallow stem.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Herbs”