which eggplant varieties to plant

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: which eggplant varieties to plant

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:25 pm

More eggplants today, including the first Indian Hari variety, which I could have left to get larger, but there are so many on the plant that I wanted to start harvesting them.
ImageMore Ichibans, and the first Hari to be harvested. 7-12 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

[mention]MissS[/mention] Right now I have 12 eggplants on my counter, after giving 5 to some friends! I feed those the same in SIPs as I feed tomatoes (starting with the initial 10-10-10 in the mix, and initial hydroponics nutrients, plus weekly "snacks") as they seem to grow and produce as much - same with those large gourds. They probably even grow more weight than tomatoes, so I might add even more.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 pm

My Ichibans finally stopped flowering, due to heat. It always happens, but it's worth it, considering all that I got from them! And they usually start up again, eventually. I got 5 more from them yesterday, and there's still 4 more on them. I also got 3 hari, and 2 more rositas, which look like neons:
ImageEggplants, rosita on top, neon on the bottom. 7-18 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image41 oz Round Bottle Gourd, next to two 8 oz Rosita eggplants. 7-19 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The hari, neon, and rosita plants still seem to be flowering well, but it has not been in the high 90s for any length of time, which is what usually causes them to stop, as with many tomatoes.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Labradors
Reactions:

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:25 pm

My first ripe eggplant was Casper. I put it in a chicken stew and couldn't taste it at all. Perhaps it isn't Casper's fault, and I will try not to mix it up with other veggies next time......

Linda

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:01 pm

[mention]Labradors[/mention] When I grew white EPs years ago, I didn't find any that had much flavor. That's good, in some ways, since they didn't get bitter, either, even if left on the plants too long.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:07 pm

I picked 40 eggplants yesterday! I’ve been trying to keep track of the different ones as I cook with them, but so far the ones that are sweet when raw are Aswad ,Mitoyo, Green Dragon, and Xi’an Green. Haven’t tried the white one (Sneg Sredi Leta) yet. I made baba ganoush and eggplant pesto yesterday, and my partner made eggplant lasagna.
image.jpg
Now I want to try more of the green ones! But there don’t seem to be many seed sources. I got my two in a trade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Have you tried Louisiana Green Oblong? I really like it. I got my seed from Rajun Gardner over on the other forum in 2108. From what I understand from what he posted it is pretty hard to find. If all goes well I will have some seed to share.
Here is one that I picked today.
08 15 2020 a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:20 am

Friedgreen51, this is the first time I’ve grown any green varieties!

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:28 am

If you want to try it let me know and I will PM you when I have some seed. It is a sweet creamy eggplant. Not extremely seedy.
It is really good dipped in tempura batter and fried. Also makes good eggplant parmesan.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:43 am

Banner year for me with the eggplants. Most productive have turned out to be Galine, Annina, Casper, Millionaire (producing less now but was early), Kemer, and Matrosyk. All other varieties are producing but more sporadically as we are getting more than we know what to do with. Some of the plants that were small at planting time are coming into their own now and the early producers are slowing down. What I have is a steady supply which suits me fine. I love the Green Thai and Long Green but they are not prolific. Some plants need more sun but with 29 plants I was running out of good space. Long White just gave me one nice large long one each but there are new flowers so perhaps that is a late producer. Everyone touts Rosa Bianca but I only have had one. Will put it in a better spot next year.
Need some more recipe ideas at this point! We have had it fried, sautéed, as Baba Ganoush, Parmagiana and just recently Moussaka. Trying to find an old recipe I had for Rollatini using seasoned Mascarpone filling.
Very pleased with this summer’s harvest!!

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Friedgreen51, I’d love to try Louisiana Green Oblong! Thanks. To save eggplant seed, do you let a fruit get mature and inedible, then extract seeds?

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Gardadore wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:43 am Banner year for me with the eggplants. Most productive have turned out to be Galine, Annina, Casper, Millionaire (producing less now but was early), Kemer, and Matrosyk. All other varieties are producing but more sporadically as we are getting more than we know what to do with. Some of the plants that were small at planting time are coming into their own now and the early producers are slowing down. What I have is a steady supply which suits me fine. I love the Green Thai and Long Green but they are not prolific. Some plants need more sun but with 29 plants I was running out of good space. Long White just gave me one nice large long one each but there are new flowers so perhaps that is a late producer. Everyone touts Rosa Bianca but I only have had one. Will put it in a better spot next year.
Need some more recipe ideas at this point! We have had it fried, sautéed, as Baba Ganoush, Parmagiana and just recently Moussaka. Trying to find an old recipe I had for Rollatini using seasoned Mascarpone filling.
Very pleased with this summer’s harvest!!
I sometimes use in in place of or with chicken, in Chicken Tikka Masala.
~ Patti ~

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:34 pm

[mention]habitat-gardener[/mention] For saving eggplant seeds, make sure that you isolate the blossom(s) before it opens, as they cross very easily, like peppers. When the fruit develops, let it grow until over mature, and hard - often, but not always, turning yellow. Then cut the fruits open, and sort of squeeze the wet fruits, releasing the seeds - they separate fairly easily.

Here's a place that has some green eggplants, my favorite is the Hari, but the Bijli did well too, just later, like other greens I've tried.
https://www.seedsofindia.com/category/Eggplant-19
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:41 pm

habitat-gardener wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:51 pm Friedgreen51, I’d love to try Louisiana Green Oblong! Thanks. To save eggplant seed, do you let a fruit get mature and inedible, then extract seeds?
Yes, I usually let mine get overly mature and starting to turn a little yellow. Be careful to not let them get to mature and rot.
Then I basically use the method described by SSE in the link below except I use my Vitamix on low speed with plenty of water instead of a food processor, https://www.seedsavers.org/grow-eggplant

ddsack
Reactions:

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:30 pm

I've finally had eggplant to harvest from all my varieties. I'm no expert and not a gourmet cook, so can't say I really taste any difference in the finished product. I just like to grow a variety of types for their striking looks. Thanks to [mention]MissS[/mention] for the seeds of Aysberg, Matrosik and Grandia. I think I could have waited a little longer to harvest Matrosik, not sure how big it's supposed to get, but better too early than too seedy.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:43 am

[mention]ddsack[/mention] Your eggplants look wonderful! The correct spelling for Grandia is Gandia but go right ahead and call it Grandia because it is not at all what was pictured or described by nikitovka seeds. My plants that were labeled Gandia grew fruits that look the same as yours. To me, when I taste them raw they have a sweet flavor and good texture.
~ Patti ~

ddsack
Reactions:

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 am

Ha! I don't know when it became Grandia to me, I probably misread your original offer and have been calling it that all along thinking the rest of you were wrong! :lol: I will certainly correct my records! :oops:

Looking back at the Nikitovka website, their Matrosik looks more elongated than mine. Mine is more of a halfway between round and elongated.

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:38 am

MissS wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:43 am @ddsack Your eggplants look wonderful! The correct spelling for Grandia is Gandia but go right ahead and call it Grandia because it is not at all what was pictured or described by nikitovka seeds. My plants that were labeled Gandia grew fruits that look the same as yours. To me, when I taste them raw they have a sweet flavor and good texture.
is this the same as gandia de listra?

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:26 am

Clkeiper wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:38 am
MissS wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:43 am @ddsack Your eggplants look wonderful! The correct spelling for Grandia is Gandia but go right ahead and call it Grandia because it is not at all what was pictured or described by nikitovka seeds. My plants that were labeled Gandia grew fruits that look the same as yours. To me, when I taste them raw they have a sweet flavor and good texture.
is this the same as gandia de listra?
No it is not the same at all.
~ Patti ~

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:43 am

BC634A97-4787-4390-9E6C-E01989F94544.jpeg
Old Black beauty, if it can thrive on the Texas gulf coast in August, I’m in!
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:11 pm

4B39D9FF-0B90-4FC0-8C48-660FCAB65BB4.jpeg
Starting with the white one and going clockwise:
Sneg Sreda Leta
Madonna (or Galine?)
Green Dragon
Diamond
Calliope
Aswad
Chornyy Krasen
Matrosik
Xi’an Green
Syrian Stuffing
Nadia
Mitoyo

The only ones missing are Aragon and not-Gandia.
Usually Aswad is by far the largest; this was a smaller one.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”