Anyone tried germinating popcorn

Whwoz
Reactions:

Anyone tried germinating popcorn

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:46 am

Most of the commercially available lots of popcorn seed here Down Under are only small and priced at top seed rates for us. Not duly worried about a specific variety at this stage, but if I could harvest baby corn from it as well it would be good. While going through our stocks in readiness for a raid on the Indian wholesalers that we normally go to, I came across a pack of popcorn and started wondering what would be the best way to check it for germination. Any suggestions appreciated.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Re: Anyone tried germinating popcorn

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:13 am

I check any seeds for germination by placing 10 seeds on a very wet double thickness paper towel on a ceramic plate. I cover the seeds with another double thickness paper towel. I just keep the plate on my kitchen counter and make sure that it stays wet. In a few days I can see how many have sprouted and figure out my germination rate. 9 sprouted = 90%, 5 sprouted = 50%, etc.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Thank you [mention]brownrexx[/mention]

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:24 am

Popcorn.jpg
[mention]brownrexx[/mention] Tried doing this and very happy withe result. 25 seeds down on the 25/6, checked 29/6 and 12 (48%) clearly showing root, with a couple more looking likely to split if left a day or two more. Will be sowing several hundred of these to meet kids babycorn requirements me thinks. Thanks for the tip. Very happy at speed of germination.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 am

Aren't you kind, Whwoz! Providing their every wish.

I grew some purple seeded pop corn a couple of times in containers with some success. That was a hulless sort and smaller than regular popped corn but so delicious! This year my daughter is growing it and shared her seeds with others.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 am

[mention]Growing Coastal[/mention] that is what we try to do most times. We bring kids into this world, we have to look after them. That purple popcorn sounds interesting but to hard for me to get if not already here.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”