Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:36 am

My favorites in order

Black Beauty

Tossup between Rosita and Rosa Bianca

Rosita

Rosa Bianca

Listada di Gandia Left

Purple Stripe? (right)

Last year was OK for eggplant 2019 was horrible and 2018 was my best year ever for eggplant.

Rosita, Rosa Bianca and BB starts

I plant BB every year and try to plant one new variety with the BB's. This year I will just be planting the BB's and Rosita's
I have not noticed any taste difference in any of them, but did notice the Rosita plants were very Robust.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: eggplant recommendations

Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:44 pm

[mention]SQWIB[/mention] Long time no see! I had a disease problem with both Rosita and Rosa Bianca last - nothing with the other 3 varieties, which were my standards every season: Hari, Neon, and Ichiban, the latter being my earliest every season, and the most productive, until heat stops it. This season, I'm not trying new ones.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

LK2020
Reactions:

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:32 am

pepperhead212 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:44 pm @SQWIB Long time no see! I had a disease problem with both Rosita and Rosa Bianca last - nothing with the other 3 varieties, which were my standards every season: Hari, Neon, and Ichiban, the latter being my earliest every season, and the most productive, until heat stops it. This season, I'm not trying new ones.
Where do you get your seeds for Neon and Ichiban? Love them both, but impossible to find seeds. I've been growing Orient Express or Millionaire because I can't find Ichiban, and last year I tried Rosita because for the first time my local farm didn't have any Neon starts and I can't find seeds anywhere.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:38 am

Ichiban is long discontinued, a few good years. They say plants are still available from old seed stock. Maybe they are just f2s, who can say. Maybe also some selections are floating around with the same name.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:09 am

pepperhead212 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:44 pm @SQWIB Long time no see! I had a disease problem with both Rosita and Rosa Bianca last - nothing with the other 3 varieties, which were my standards every season: Hari, Neon, and Ichiban, the latter being my earliest every season, and the most productive, until heat stops it. This season, I'm not trying new ones.
Was it Physiological or was it an actual disease?
I may try some Ichiban if I can find seeds. I had Hari on my list but never got around to trying them.
I think half of the eggplants out there are being sold under multiple names.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:42 am

mama_lor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:38 am Ichiban is long discontinued, a few good years. They say plants are still available from old seed stock. Maybe they are just f2s, who can say. Maybe also some selections are floating around with the same name.
Here is my source (though I've seen it, elsewhere, and in nurseries as plants), and they are fresh seeds (eggplant seeds get "old" much faster than tomato or pepper seeds, in my experience). I see that the price has gone up, and higher than some of the others, so maybe they are getting harder to find. https://www.seedman.com/eggplant.htm

Many years ago, they discontinued Ichiban, for about 5 years, and I tried many similar looking varieties (just growing one ichiban per season, until the seeds were gone), but not one was as early, or had the same production, despite the catalogs saying "Replacement for Ichiban", or something similar. Strange thing was, the first place I found it when it came back was on an ebay site, and I was skeptical, but it was the real Ichiban! Same thing happened with Neon, which also came back, eventually, though the neon has been discontinued again. I am growing saved seeds from Neon, and last season, the one I grew was almost the same, but somebody here, that I shared some seeds with, got both a lavender, like the original, and nearly black one, so it is definitely a hybrid. I'll see what happens this season.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

LK2020
Reactions:

Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:02 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:42 am
mama_lor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:38 am Ichiban is long discontinued, a few good years. They say plants are still available from old seed stock. Maybe they are just f2s, who can say. Maybe also some selections are floating around with the same name.
Here is my source (though I've seen it, elsewhere, and in nurseries as plants), and they are fresh seeds (eggplant seeds get "old" much faster than tomato or pepper seeds, in my experience). I see that the price has gone up, and higher than some of the others, so maybe they are getting harder to find. https://www.seedman.com/eggplant.htm

Many years ago, they discontinued Ichiban, for about 5 years, and I tried many similar looking varieties (just growing one ichiban per season, until the seeds were gone), but not one was as early, or had the same production, despite the catalogs saying "Replacement for Ichiban", or something similar. Strange thing was, the first place I found it when it came back was on an ebay site, and I was skeptical, but it was the real Ichiban! Same thing happened with Neon, which also came back, eventually, though the neon has been discontinued again. I am growing saved seeds from Neon, and last season, the one I grew was almost the same, but somebody here, that I shared some seeds with, got both a lavender, like the original, and nearly black one, so it is definitely a hybrid. I'll see what happens this season.
Thank you! I really wish they would bring back Neon.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:50 am

LK2020 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:02 pm Thank you! I really wish they would bring back Neon.
Hopefully, it will be temporary, as before, though some simply don't come back! I've had this happen with a few things, though none that I grew as much of as these! A few things have come back with the name, but not the same.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:35 am

A fabulous eggplant page with literally everything you would ever want to learn about eggplants, plus descriptions, and where seeds are available.
http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/ne ... intro.html
- Marsha

LK2020
Reactions:

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:52 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:50 am
LK2020 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:02 pm Thank you! I really wish they would bring back Neon.
Hopefully, it will be temporary, as before, though some simply don't come back! I've had this happen with a few things, though none that I grew as much of as these! A few things have come back with the name, but not the same.
Any idea what parents contributed to Neon? I grow other wonderful eggplants (Kamo, Mitoyo, Oriental Express, Malaysian Red) but Ichiban and Neon were my first loves. Neon is just so beautiful, and I love the shape. Flavor and texture extraordinaire, too. The last time I grew them in ground, the plants were easily 4+feet tall, and just beautiful, with those gorgeous fruits. One year someone stole 6 or 8 of my Neons right off the vine in the community garden. I couldn't believe it, but ... who could resist? Wish I'd saved some seeds.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:12 am

pepperhead212 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:42 am

Many years ago, they discontinued Ichiban, for about 5 years, and I tried many similar looking varieties (just growing one ichiban per season, until the seeds were gone), but not one was as early, or had the same production, despite the catalogs saying "Replacement for Ichiban", or something similar. Strange thing was, the first place I found it when it came back was on an ebay site, and I was skeptical, but it was the real Ichiban!
Most probably not the original Ichiban. The name is different first of all. A selection or most likely another similar hybrid, not saying it can't be good.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:39 am

Check out this Matrosik I just picked. And the flesh inside is so firm and white.
20210306_073349.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Marsha

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”