Baby Corn for Pickling?

karstopography
Reactions:

Baby Corn for Pickling?

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:25 am

Anyone grown this? There’s Chires, Bonus, Japanese Hulless and likely many more varieties. Has anyone grown any for either pickling or stir fries? Some varieties evidently produce multiple miniature ears per stalk, that’s what I am looking for. A yield of One or two ears per stalk would be such a waste of space when garden space is limited. Wondering about spacing, surely each plant doesn’t require the same 10-12” spacing as other corn. One site say thin plants to 4”-6” and that sounds reasonable.

Contemplating growing some baby corn next year, but have zero experience growing this. Love me some pickled baby corn and thought I would make a stab at producing my own. Just don’t want to take up half my garden space to do it. If I can get 30 stalks in a 3’or 4’ square that ought to produce enough for a few pints of pickled baby corn. Probably need about 25-30 ears per pint. Say Six ears per plant. I’d take that type of yield.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Baby Corn for Pickling?

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:46 am

Chires is the one to go for @karstopography, been doing a bit of research as part of my own growing it and Chires is head and shoulders above everything else for yield. 20 ears per plant is what the various sites I have seen it on say. Pity its not available to me down under.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”