Corn circles

Whwoz
Reactions:

Corn circles

Tue May 11, 2021 6:08 am

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention] , just wondering if you could post the information you have on planting corn in circles in you glog in this seperate thread. It takes a bit of finding and I can never remember what page to go to. Thanks

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Corn circles

Tue May 11, 2021 7:44 am

Whwoz, per request here's the corn circle info with a few addendums at the end.

The first time I ever planted corn in a bed was in 2017. Someone had given me a packet of Boone County White as it came in a collection they bought and they didn't want the corn. Boone was supposed to be a big white corn for use early as eating corn and later as a dried corn. But it was free so what the heck; use it for the corn bed experiment.

The bed was 4x18' and I planted seven hills of corn in it. One was in the middle of the bed and the others were each 27" apart on center. I made a scribe and marked an 18" diameter circle for each hill to mark where to sow the seeds:

Before planting the seed I used a narrow hoe to draw a small trench about 3" outside the planting line and 3" deep for the fertilizer, sprinkled in some 5-10-15 and a bit of ammonium sulfate, covered the fertilzer and then planted seed around the scribed planting line. I was trying to mimic the pre-plant fertilizer applied in field grown corn. The reasoning behind the various spacing measurements is to end up with all seed 8" apart around the circle perimeters and the outside of each circle is 8" apart from its neighbor.

I usually thin row-sown corn to 8" apart so I planted the seeds 8" apart around the circle. Lesson learned: That has since been changed to 4" apart with later thinning because if you end up with gaps from failed germination and try to sow more to fill the gaps, that replanted corn will never catch up with the others. Better to overplant and thin later for a uniform stand and uniform pollination. ;)

The second fertilizing was a little ammonium sulfate scratched in around the circles at the 4-5 leaf stage, about 10-12" tall. When the tassels started showing I fertilized for the last time using some 15-0-15 with a little superphosphate.

This was the final result of that original experiment. That's an 8' stick in the middle of the bed. The concept worked.

This year I have three beds growing; Seneca Sunrise (67 day yellow), Silver Queen (88 day white) and Early Pink Popcorn (90=100 days) planted 2 weeks after the Silver Queen. There shouldn't be any cross pollination between any of them.

This is the original article I read that got me doing this although I have since added a few tweaks of my own:
http://ourstoneyacres.com/growing-corn- ... ill-method

UPDATE:

This is this year's Seneca Sunrise yellow corn as of ten days ago and they've about doubled in height since the pic was taken. Note that there are only seven seedlings in the first circle. A few more seeds have since germinated in the circle but I pulled them out as they'll never catch up to the others.

I've also revised my technique for subsequent fertilizings. Instead of sprinkling fertilizer and scratching it in around the circles of taller corn I now use a small hand tool to pull back soil about 2" deep and about 4" out from each stalk, add the fert and shove the soil back over it. That 4" from the stalk eventually becomes about 6" for that last fertilizing at tasseling because I didn't want to burn any roots from what are now mature plants. It seems worky but it goes fairly quickly although for larger plantings it would probably get tedious!

Something not addressed in the original posting was support for these stalks as they get tall. Any of us who grow corn know how frustrating it is to see corn blown down by a strong storm. In these beds I've learned to drive in stakes along the outside of the bed leaving 4' of length above the ground. Then I run baling twine around the stakes to provide lateral support. Then, with a helping hand from someone on the other side of the bed, I run twine diagonally through the bed here and there for "internal" support.

I'd love to hear about any techniques from others growing corn in beds. There's always room for improvement!

MissS
Reactions:

Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 am

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention] What a wonderful tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing your method on how you grow corn in your garden.

When I first read the title, I thought that this was going to be about crop circles and aliens. :lol:
~ Patti ~

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 am

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention] Your method of stringing baling twine to help corn stay upright during strong storms is right on. I do the same thing, but use 1/2" rebar for stakes. And since the majority of my beds are 4' wide like yours, I may try your method but rotate an unused tomato cage on top of the prepared bed to scroll out circles to plant in.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue May 11, 2021 11:22 am

pondgardner wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 am And since the majority of my beds are 4' wide like yours, I may try your method but rotate an unused tomato cage on top of the prepared bed to scroll out circles to plant in.
Brilliant! And thanks! See? There's always a better way of doing something. I'm sure I have a tomato cage around here that's 18" in diameter and if not I can change one to be that since mine are made of field fence.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Tue May 11, 2021 12:16 pm

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention] this is great stuff. If only I hadn't planted a gazillion tomatoes I might have space to do this. I am going to have to build another bed as I want to try this out.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue May 11, 2021 5:08 pm

I put in a bed of popcorn this afternoon and hopefully it will get rained on this evening. And I used [mention]pondgardener[/mention] 's idea of marking the planting circles with an 18" wide tomato cage. My cages are 20" wide and made of field fence so I just cinched in one end of a cage to 18" diameter and it was a breeze to mark the the circles. At first they weren't easy to see with the dry soil so I hosed it down and then twisted the cage into the soil again.. Easy peasy and so much faster!. Thank you, Pondgardener!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue May 11, 2021 5:14 pm

Thank you [mention]GoDawgs[/mention]. Much appreciated

MrBig46
Reactions:

Fri May 28, 2021 2:18 am

A week ago, I planted sprouted sweet corn seeds in those circles. It is not very visible in the photo, but I still attach it.
Vladimír

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:13 pm

Have been planting several lots of corn in these circles and the first lot are definitely doing well, with central stem around 16 inches high. The second lot, which was in pots far longer than they should have been went in yesterday. Finding something of suitable size was a problem until I saw something hanging on the wall of the shed, the kids Hoola hoops. They are 18,21,24,27 inches in diameter, which basically means 7,8,9 and 10 plants around the outside and 2, 3 or 4 inside. I like the way they are shaping up.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:19 am

@Whwoz , that's great! I hope it works well for you and will be looking forward to progress updates. Love the use of hula hoops! :D
I've never tried planting any corn in the middle of the circles too as I usually rake up some of that middle soil to hill up the plants around the perimeter so I'll be interested in seeing how yours does.

Spike
Reactions:

Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:17 am

I totally love this! I have to try it next year!!
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:46 am

In June or July (my third block) I gave some extra soil block starts to another comm gardener that was taking out some spring vegetables. Lettuce and such that was bolting. She didn't think she had enough room. I showed her the circle method and to leave the center open of corn, so that they aren't crowded and pollen blocked. Also that she could plant beets or replant lettuce in that shady center to use the space. Well, she didn't put anything in the middle, but the circle of corn did do well. Lots of two cobs per stalk. Unfortunately most was not picked in time, and the squirrels got into it.

I may do some circles myself this year, depending on then plot shape.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:47 am

The first lot of three circles I planted are doing really well, just about see the plants growing as you look at them. 9 plants per circle, 7 in ring out side and two inside if memory serves me correctly otherwise three inside the ring. Plants would have been about 60 cm/2 feet tall when photo taken 12 days ago, now around 90cm/1 yard high and growing well. The corn that I planted late after it had been in pots too long is improving in colour and size. Time will tell if they make anything.
Corn Circles.JPG
Corn Circles 1.JPG
Corn Circles 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:39 am

Lookin' good, Woz! I hope those little ones make it for you. Merry Christmas!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:50 am

Thank you @GoDawgs , I hope so too. Did not intend to let them sit as long before getting out. Hopefully next year will be a somewhat more "normal" season. A good Christmas was had by all here thanks, hope you had a good one too.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:30 pm

Save some for Elote.
You can substitute parmesan cheese for cotija cheese.
Because I highly doubt you have cotija cheese in your area.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”