How to grow celery & lovage?

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: How to grow celery & lovage?

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks for the information! I'll surround all celery with small eggshell bits.

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:22 pm

habitat-gardener wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:42 pm I grew red-stem celery one year and, despite several moves of house and gardens since then, still have it. I've let it go to seed, and I find it in my containers. I just planted 4 of them in my new community garden in the past month. I never blanched it, and there didn't seem to be a time when the whole plant was ready to pick, so most of the time I picked small stalks and used them for soup. I've also grown Amsterdam Cutting celery, which I dried, so I have a jar full of celery-leaf dust to use as a seasoning.

In my climate, I found that celery is the ideal slug habitat. The slugs are protected from predators and are free to munch away at the walls of their habitat. It's not a nice surprise to pick some stalks and find all the slug hollows filled with slugs!! I asked someone at the farmers' market how they grow organic celery without slugs, and they said "a lot of picking" (picking off slugs).
Try using granular and powdered diatomaceous earth around the plants to see if that helps if you are having an infestation of slugs... Or get ducks. They love to eat these critters and don't scratch out the plants.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Update on the red celery. I planted some in my garden. Most of it died, and the rest is looking as unhappy as possible and has not grown an inch. However, the stuff I put in pots in 1" of water in my pond is going great guns!

I discovered that our ground hog enjoys my red celery, so I've had to move it a little further into the pond, but that's an easy fix.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:56 pm

I grew celery from seed last year but couldn't find my seed packet this year. So I have a single end cutting that is in water and will probably plant outside in a few weeks.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”