Starting corn early

Shule
Reactions:

Starting corn early

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:42 am

This might sound crazy at first, but has anyone here tried starting corn early like tomatoes, and then transplanting it out into the garden later?

I know corn is usually direct-seeded, and that it does well that way, but I have reason to believe it might possibly increase yields in my garden to do it this way, if you're only doing a few plants, anyhow. So, I'm trying it with some Glass Gem corn to see what happens. Of course, it might not have any advantages. I'm curious if anyone else has tried it.

I have tried transplanting Glass Gem corn before (from an outdoor container to the ground, splitting plants up from a single container), with good results. Some of the plants put up multiple stalks. So, that's what got me thinking on this.

I'm planning to try it with Job's tears (it's another grain), too (never grown it before, but I don't want to risk it not germinating in our soil). Some things germinate fine direct-seeded in our soil (like radishes, muskmelons, cucumbers, arugula, milk thistle, and watermelons), but many things don't (like okra, cabbage, carrots, cilantro, etc.)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Starting corn early

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:31 am

One regularly sees corn in punnets here, they do fine when transplanted into the garden, how much earlier would depend on your climate, but definitely give them ago

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:51 am

I start corn early every year, partly to get a jump on the season for market (and for my plate), but mainly to outwit the crows. I start about two weeks early in 1" soil blocks, and set them out about the same time I direct seed, which provides an extended harvest. I grow several varieties of sweet corn and several varieties of popcorn, including Glass Gem. All do just fine.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:00 pm

We did that last year. Started them in egg cartons and I think we probably got a good month's head start which helped. At the same time as we planted out the sprouts, we direct seeded some also. We would have had a nice yield from the sprouts except we went out of town for a couple of days and the deer took advantage of no dog in the yard and ate all of it. 😠
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:38 pm

The corn is already up here where I live, one of my favorite crops to see as I drive across the countryside.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 pm

I am sooo tempted to start the Spring Treat early corn. Soil temp is right but we're still liable to get some cold streaks. Still, this will be grown in a raised bed so I could put a plastic tunnel over it to jack up the temp inside if that happens.

kath
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 pm

It doesn't sound crazy to me! I had good luck sowing Ambrosia F1 using peat strips and even 72 cells did ok even though I'd read that they don't like their roots disturbed. The starts needed to be transplanted out at about 7 days, iirc. I also used to warm the soil and rig up hoops and ventilated plastic to get a head start but I don't bother with that anymore either. Took up too much space under my lights and/or involved lots of extra work, so now I just wait until it's warm enough to sow outdoors and enjoy whatever else is in season until the corn ripens later in July. Guess I'm really getting old, lol!

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:22 am

IIRC, Harris Seeds used to suggest transplanting (early) corn, then using black plastic. I even did it a couple of times. I started mine in small cells (72 size, IIRC) in my cold frame, then transplanted them at the normal corn planting time, giving me about a week or so head start. It worked well for me, although quite a bit more work. With larger cells, it could be done even earlier, but more resources used, and now that grocery stores finally carry Super Sweet corn, I'd rather just buy a few ears than go to the extra work.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:14 am

The Spring Treat got planted on the 7th and was starting to poke up yesterday. Oh boy!!

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:37 pm

I know this is an old post but I started my early sweet corn on April 19th indoor they transplanted nice and had 4 corns per stock abs it was my first year growing corn they were delicious and I’m growing them again this year

bower
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:53 pm

I've never grown corn but this winter I picked up a packet of Pink Popcorn for $2. My friend grows corn at her farm and she does start them in the greenhouse and then plant out, because we have such a short season. But it's quite late here before anything like corn squash or beans can go out.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu May 27, 2021 9:26 pm

I doubt I will ever direct seed again. Soil blocks work so well. I have been doing mostly transplants since I started planting corn. This will be the 6th year I believe. Every time I sow seed they come in much more spotty, even when there is good rain, it seems. I've tried various planting depths, but what it comes back to is uneven watering and weather, be it early spring or mid summer.

Shule, did you try it last year? I do okra transplants too and they work good but just to sprout them, then get them out. Corn likes 90F on the heat mat, Okra likes 95F.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu May 27, 2021 9:35 pm

[mention]JRinPA[/mention]
I didn't end up doing it last year, but I'll probably do it the next time I grow corn. :)

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu May 27, 2021 11:53 pm

This week, do it!

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Fri May 28, 2021 9:00 am

JRinPA wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:26 pm I doubt I will ever direct seed again. Soil blocks work so well.
I have soil block makers but have not used them. Which size do you use for corn?

Last year I grew corn by direct seeding. I planted two per spot in a row but they were about 3" apart. There were some spots where both seeds did not come up. So I would dig up one of the extra seedlings and transplant it to a spot with none to fill out the row. Worked out well. Didn't lose a single seedling.

Shule
Reactions:

Fri May 28, 2021 9:50 pm

JRinPA wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:53 pm This week, do it!
It looks like someone else already direct-seeded corn, but I might plant some in some foam cups anyway.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat May 29, 2021 1:45 am

I use 2" blocks, two seeds in each about 1" on diagonal. So a flat gives 100 corn nominally. I'd estimate I get 90 first cobs with Incredible after all is said and done, as there will be a few misses and runts with 50 second cobs and a handful of third cobs on the corners and south face of the blocks. I plant pretty tight and try to hand pollinate a few times, including taking fresh pollen from the upcoming block to pollinate second cobs or runts with a late first cob. With all soil blocks this year I hope to avoid stragglers altogether.

Tonight I started corn#2, another 50 block flat of bodacious for my brother and 35 blocks to finish out my first rows, though I think there are only 20 holes. Extras will go in circles. Corn#1 was set out May 14th and is looking good. These first two sets I spaced out about 4 weeks, hoping for 2 weeks differential at harvest. I also started a flat of my 2016 supersweet seed that was often squirrel food. It is a white xtra tender sh2 from Johnny's. I really hope that germinates. Looked good yet, still soft. I'm planting that special block in the backyard and come August, may well rotate the springers as guard dogs to protect it.

In another 10 days I'll start corn#3, Incredible, which is longer growing. And 2 or 3 weeks later I'll do a second batch of Incredible to finish those rows. Should make that 3 weeks I guess. That should take me to the end of September. Last year I had a block too late, ripened mid-late October and didn't do well for yield, but then again it was direct seeded and took forever to germinate in July...might have been early August. A week after I seeded, I was kicking myself for not doing transplants. I considered wiping it out, it was so small in comparison to the earlier corn.

Anyway, I think four sets plus the supersweet set should be enough this year. It will be awesome if they space out nicely as planned. I like us to eat as much fresh as possible, then vacuum seal and freeze when there is too much. For me, transplants and supplemental watering are the way to achieve this.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat May 29, 2021 2:34 am

Homegrown sweet corn from the freezer beats canned corn like a drum.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat May 29, 2021 9:01 am

Sure does. I have corn on the brain right now. We had corn on the cob last night. I'm not sure how much we have left, perhaps a dozen 4-5 packs. We just husk and seal, best way we have tried for regular steamed cobs.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:13 am

We picked our first 3 dozen ears of Incredible corn last evening. Today we will cut it off of the cobs and freeze it in bags.

ImageIncredible Corn 2021 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”