Starting corn early

MrBig46
Reactions:

Re: Starting corn early

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am

How do you get those grains out of that ear? Will you cook it and then peel the grains?
Vladimír

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Looks good. Incredible is a solid yellow. I may buy the white version next time, but my yellow seed is still strong. I bought 2# a few years back.

My #3 block Incredible is pollinating right now. It held up to the wind the other day very well. The #4 incredible right in front of it had a few on the windward side leaned over.
Pics from yesterday sunset.
192.JPG
193.JPG
194.JPG
I have some Bodacious #2 in the back yard screaming to be picked. It came in pretty strong over the potatoes. Each set of twins (one soil block two seeds) is putting out 3 solid cobs, a few have 4. I should go pick but part of my block #1 was in a fridge the last couple weeks (squirrel attack picked all at once) so I've let these fully mature. But they might lay over with this storm right now.
04.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
07.JPG
I just took those pics, turned around and saw the storm coming, so I ran over to the comm garden to grab some tomatoes. The wind let loose on me, but no pelting rain. Well, now it has started, now that I'm home.

I guess a still shot of that wind pushing the corn doesn't account for much. lol.
08.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 am

MrBig46 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am How do you get those grains out of that ear? Will you cook it and then peel the grains?
Vladimír
I steam the ears for 4 minutes to blanch (partially cook) them and then cut the kernels off with a sharp knife.

Image2021 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

Image20210811_144657 (2) by Brownrexx, on Flickr

[mention]JRinPA[/mention] Incredible is a nice, sweet corn but I think that I will grown Delectable next year which is a bicolor version of Incredible.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:53 am

Just the other day we did some of that first block of corn the same way, to finish it off. A 4 minute boil instead of steam, then cool and cut and ziplock. It was good. Since the cobs were on hold in the fridge, I didn't want to save whole cobs. I still want to vacuum seal whole fresh cobs again from the later blocks. Anyone with a sealer that likes corn on the cob ought to try a few packs that way to see if they are acceptable - almost no labor, great taste retention, just a softer texture upon thawing and steaming.

I still have probably a 1/2 lb of incredible (~80% germination this year) and most of 2lb of bodacious we bought this spring at nolt's. I've never appreciated a bi-color like some people do. I'd like to get back to a white, but have many years of yellow to use.

The supersweet I grew the first time I grew sweetcorn was untreated Xtra-Tender 3473, an sh2 gene. That was, bar none, the best sweet corn I ever tasted, and everyone that tried it seemed to agree. I had germination problems a few rounds with it, and each plot eventually drew in squirrels. I tried the remainder of the old seed this spring, and got just 2 sprouts in roughly 90 seeds. If I bought some again I figure I would get better germination from the get go due to experience. I'd go ahead and get the treated seed, too. It would just be a matter of the squirrels. I made an order at Johnny's this past December and come April I wished I had ordered some.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:38 pm

I only use corn seed for 2 years and then buy new seed.

Last year I tried some 3 year old seed and had very poor germination so now I stick to the 2 year rule.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:26 pm

Fortunately, with transplants, germination rate is less an issue than direct seeding. I usually have extra that go straight to compost, unless my brother takes them. That supersweet seed was from 2016 I think, and it was spotty germination to start with.

This Bodacious was not bad, but it is just not as sweet as I'd like. This block probably should have been picked 5 days back. It taste like farm stand corn - better than supermarket, but I hoped for better from the garden. The pollination was superb for a small patch with potatoes under it. For taste though, we haven't been impressed with block 1 or 2.

The storm last night knocked over some of it.
23.JPG
I picked some knock downs. Six first cobs and three second cobs picked. Took them out in the driveway to husk so the squirrels don't smell it back at the patch.
24.JPG
25.JPG
When these pollinated, the weather was warm/hot and humid, but they were never rained on. I didn't hand pollinate it at all, so two of the second cobs saw no pollen when the top half silk formed. Someone called them nubbins, if I recall. Good name.
26.JPG
Very clean and I only the one with any worm damage.
27.JPG
This was only a small block so they will be gone quick.

I'm a little worried about my block#3 incredible. The rain hit multiple times this past week, just as pollen was starting to drop. I checked today and I see a whole lot of bright silk yet and I think the tassels are about spent. The only darkened silk I'm seeing are some edges I hand pollinated with pollen caught on leaves. That was the only evening I saw any pollen dropped onto leaves. I think that was the 8th. Hopefully I check in 2 more days and its all on its way.

I keep forgetting to plant some (a small set) delayed 7-10 days strictly for a late supply of fresh pollen to bag and hand pollinate in case this badly timed rain occurs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:45 am

brownrexx wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 am
MrBig46 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am How do you get those grains out of that ear? Will you cook it and then peel the grains?
Vladimír
I steam the ears for 4 minutes to blanch (partially cook) them and then cut the kernels off with a sharp knife.

@JRinPA Incredible is a nice, sweet corn but I think that I will grown Delectable next year which is a bicolor version of Incredible.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to do that. I have eight circles with six plants. I hope something will be born.
Vladimír

MrBig46
Reactions:

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:46 am

brownrexx wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 am
Vladimír

@JRinPA Incredible is a nice, sweet corn but I think that I will grown Delectable next year which is a bicolor version of Incredible.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to do that. I have eight circles with six plants. I hope something will harvest.

Vladimír

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”