Tomatoes that do very well in an EarthBox

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Tomatoes that do very well in an EarthBox

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:05 am

Aside from dwarfs, what varieties do you like in an EB? This year, I'm growing several varieties that look like they are perfect fits for an EarthBox. Yes, you can grow really large plants in the EB, but I'm interested in plants of a very manageable size.

Patio Choice Yellow Hybrid. This is the 3rd year I've grown this one. In the past I've grown it in a 12" hanging basket, but this year I put it in an EB along with Dwarf Pink Passion. It is right at 3 ft. tall, and loaded with large, sweet cherries. I'd say that it will be about double the size and yield of growing in the hanging basket. This one is far more flavorful than any micro I've grown.

EM-Champion. First year for this one, and it looks better in an EB than most dwarfs. No ripe fruit yet, but about 4 ft. tall and mostly an upright grower. I have several Russian and Ukrainian OP and hybrid determinate hearts, but this is first one I've grown. So far, so very good!

Matsu Express. This is an experiment since I grew it in a 10 gallon tub last year, and it did well.

Jet Star? After an absence of many years, I have this one in the ground, but its size looks like it would be another good fit. I would certainly call this one a compact indeterminate. Has anyone here grown it in an EB? How did it do?

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Re: Tomatoes that do very well in an EarthBox

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:16 am

I have 48 Earthboxes, been using them for more than 11 years. I love them. I grow every tomato in them, they all do well because of the system. Some are not good in our hot humid climate, but that hasn't got anything to do with growing in the Earthbox. Go ahead and grow any tomato you want in it.
- Marsha

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:47 am

Sure. But I don't like dealing with sprawling monster plants, so the key (to me) is "manageable size." That rules out a lot of the older, very large varieties. I lean toward compact Indeterminate and some det.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:08 am

Maglia Rosa is for you then.
- Marsha

Labradors
Reactions:

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:30 pm

Two Maglia Rosa's (or maybe 3?) would be purrfect in an Earthbox. I'm growing EM Champion this year for the first time, and think it would be a good contender too. Bulgarian Triumph is another compact variety (with excellent taste) that would do well in an Earthbox.

I didn't get to use my new Earthbox this season because I couldn't get hold of enough potting mix to fill one, but there's always next year!

Linda

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:20 pm

I had planned on growing Maglia Rosa this summer, but my seeds did not germinate. Definitely will replace the seeds this winter and try again. Very small seeds -- I may have planted them too deep. (?) Lots of folks like MR; I need to get that done.

I've heard of Bulgarian Triumph, but didn't know it was compact. Thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by Greatgardens on Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Every tomatoes grow well in it. The issue I have seems to have in the past is since the mix doesn't have compost and I only fertilize once in the beginning of the season, as a result there is poorer nutrient delivery later on which hampers production. I don't like doing regular synthetic fertilizer feeding. I just switched to osmocote, I think it will help in this case to keep a stable release of nutrients throughout the season.

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”