Greens and Lettuces in Kiddie Swimming Pool

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Greens and Lettuces in Kiddie Swimming Pool

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:48 pm

Here you go. I hope that you find it.
We can always move it to Glogs or the Gallery as well. Glogs is a place to journal your gardening.
~ Patti ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Did you think I wanted it moved by my request for a greens/ salad forum? Didn’t really intend that but I guess it fits here as well. Please don’t move it to gallery or glogs. I wasn’t intending to ‘journal about my garden’ by posting about using kiddie swimming pools. Mainly Just wanted to show how to use an unusual container in the container forum. Thanks.

I did want (hope?) Karen would start a thread about Growing Lettuces and Transplants and repost some of those incredible pics.
Then we could discuss inground growing and transplant production and pick her brain about all she knows and get it out of the kiddie pool. ;)
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:20 pm

TheDante wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:15 pm oooops… think these need to be moved to the newly created forum for Lettuces etc Thanks Elaine =))

Sorry about it.. sometimes it is hard to know where to place certain posts, there´s always some kinda overlap. :oops:
MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:43 pm
MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:43 pm Did you think I wanted it moved by my request for a greens/ salad forum? Didn’t really intend that but I guess it fits here as well. Please don’t move it to gallery or glogs. I wasn’t intending to ‘journal about my garden’ by posting about using kiddie swimming pools. Mainly Just wanted to show how to use an unusual container in the container forum. Thanks.

I did want (hope?) Karen would start a thread about Growing Lettuces and Transplants and repost some of those incredible pics.
Then we could discuss inground growing and transplant production and pick her brain about all she knows and get it out of the kiddie pool. ;)
I would not move it at your request Elaine, I moved it at TheDante's request. It is her thread and yes I do agree that it is best viewed in the "Greens Forum".
~ Patti ~

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:45 am

My apologies to you both, sorry to have caused any confusion or discord :oops:, my bad
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:36 am

I'm sorry MsCowpea, my bad. It is your thread. Did you want me to move this back to the container section?
I just saw two of you discussing moving this and thought that was what you wanted. It does fit here.
We try to please here but can't please everyone.
~ Patti ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:38 am

Karen, no apologies are necessary. I was delighted you posted your pics. I just hoped you would start a new thread
In the new category and repost them so we could talk about them. If you had them moved here that is great too.

Miss S
I would not move it at your request Elaine, I moved it at TheDante's request. It is her thread and yes I do agree that it is best viewed in the "Greens Forum".
I am completely confused by this. I never requested you move a thread of Dante’s/Karen or mine. . I would never suggest that you move a thread of Karens without her permission. Just wanted to clear that up.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:58 am

MissS, must be hard to keep everything straight, no worries. I am sure it can be a thankless job. Please put my thread back in containers. I can always do a new thread -in the new forum- if I want to discuss growing lettuces and those two methods:
Transplants and broadcasting. Thanks.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Huffaker

AZGardener
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 pm

I'm going to try the lettuce in the kiddie pool I have. I am inspired by your photos. Thanks for sharing.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:32 pm

AZ. since you already have the pool you might give it a try. Double check you have enough holes. And your weather must be nice now. Hot weather is no good. Buy potting mix not heavy soil. Fertilizer is up to you but follow their directions. Depending on growth in a couple weeks you could supplement with liquid as well but
this may not be necessary. They grow really fast. I used 'homemade' compost because it is better but few people have. Be careful of Black Cow--I have no luck with that stuff in containers. I think compost could be an optional ingredient or try store bought. Just not too much.

Now you can use transplants or seeds.
SEEDS: try two packs of seeds per pool. That is a lot of seeds. (seed companies love me) They just don't put in that many in. I use a lot of seeds as I want to prevent or crowd out weeds which grow here FAST. You can use less next time. Sprinkle the seeds evenly over the mix. Take your potting mix and put it in an onion bag, you know one of those mesh bags, and sprinkle it very lightly over seeds maybe 1/8 inch. Gently water. Don't let it dry out.

TRANSPLANTS: plant like the pics.
I use both methods. I just bought some head lettuce 6 pack transplants at Lowes ( Bonnies). It will never form a head in south florida but it is a very tasty and crunchy lettuce.
Here's arugula. Now that is a lot of seeds. :lol: I would cut back next time. That many seeds/ plants could do Karen's/Dantes entire garden. :lol: :lol: :lol: I harvest between the baby leaf and full grown stage. Cut off what you need about 1 inch from the surface. Or pull entire thing. Regrowth-sometimes good/sometimes bad. If you do try it hope it works out.
Arugula in Swimming Pool.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:48 pm

Years ago but you get the idea. :) Raised up on a table. I LOVED this, no aching back.
Pool plants.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm

I 'think' I used a bag and half (largest size) of potting mix to fill a pool but it was along time ago. Also depends if you have compost. Costs about $20. Make sure you get $20 bucks of fresh greens back to get your moneys worth. Oh, I forgot about the seeds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was looking for a picture of the greens when it was cut and the regrowth was poor. Very, very ugly. Just pull it all out
and start again using the same mix refreshed.
Carl Huffaker

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:16 am

I would think cutting it more than once would depend on the seeds used and also some what on the climate. I've used a kiddie pool to grow some rice in before as well as greens, and used cardboard "beer" flats to grow some lettuces and shallow rooted greens, cut those 3 times before the box was too used up and dumped it into the compost area. The worms loved the softened cardboard and the organic matter left over from the greens.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

TheDante
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:47 am

MsCowpea wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:38 am Karen, no apologies are necessary. I was delighted you posted your pics. I just hoped you would start a new thread
In the new category and repost them so we could talk about them. If you had them moved here that is great too.

Miss S
I am completely confused by this. I never requested you move a thread of Dante’s/Karen or mine. . I would never suggest that you move a thread of Karens without her permission. Just wanted to clear that up.
Thanks Elaine. I do believe that everyone (you and MissS) had well-intentions. Just that sometimes, one is unsure what to do. I honestly have no problems what anyone does with my thread/posts/pictures. I also do not have any problems if cross-threads occur or hijacking or what have you. Everyone has my ´permission´ to do whatever they like with it. :lol: I am truly not bothered by it. Only wanted to share my pics with you or whomever else was interested and wanted to contribute to your thread since you were on to lettuces and greens.

So, all is good =) My only fear is that I might talk too much or share too much! :lol:

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 am

Karen, Hey your photos fit here! No worries. I was talking about broadcasting and transplants and you have gorgeous transplants (and lettuce). Plus it does show the tremendous difference between containers And ground. As you say posts can fit in different places. The idea that a thread can be hi jacked isn’t something I would even entertain.
I never thought that about anybody’s posts.

But please start a thread on growing lettuces, transplants, and harvesting and repost some of those photos. You outdo
Charles Dowding and I would love to discuss out of this container thread.

I am going to start a thread about “Growing Greens” (dvd) mainly about the benefits of broadcasting .
Changed my life , or if that is too dramatic, the way I grow lettuce and Asian greens. I am 66 Years old but my back is going on 80. Transplants are great but you sure need a strong back to harvest those “leaf by leaf”. 😂😂😂

(Sent PM)
Last edited by MsCowpea on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 am

Imp, cardboard beer flats is a great idea! And a great addition to compost pile. Cheaper too because you don’t need much mix.
I found You really can use a very shallow container—I used one about 4 inches for a baby leaf stage. Eventually I got out of
the container ’hobby’ for greens. I had raised beds but not everyone does.
Carl Huffaker

TheDante
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:19 am

MsCowpea wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 am Karen, Hey your photos fit here! No worries. I was talking about broadcasting and transplants and you have gorgeous transplants (and lettuce). Plus it does show the tremendous difference between containers And ground. As you say posts can fit in different places. The idea that a thread can be hi jacked isn’t something I would even entertain.
I never thought that about anybody’s posts.

But please start a thread on growing lettuces, transplants, and harvesting and repost some of those photos. You outdo
Charles Dowding and I would love to discuss out of this container thread.

I am going to start a thread about “Growing Greens For Love And Money” (dvd) mainly about the benefits of broadcasting .
Changed my life , or if that is too dramatic, the way I grow lettuce and Asian greens. I am 66 Years old but my back is going on 80. Transplants are great but you sure need a strong back to harvest those “leaf by leaf”. 😂😂😂

(Sent PM)
I am pleasantly amazed by the ´age´ group thus far in the forum. Truly. Full of energy and robust! I honestly would not have guessed that about your age and the rest of the peeps too. I am ummmm… (PM replied ;) ) .... ´mew´... a tiny Cougar - altho I do still think I am a wee little kitten! :lol: Love your pics too! I have tried broadcasting greens and the only way to harvest them was to use a scissors! And compared it with the single transplants and felt that the latter method is a wee bit more tidy and organized. And easier to harvest, knowing where to pick. Looks like you grow tons of greens too.

As we speak our polytunnel looks like seeds were broadcasted, especially the miner´s lettuce, think somehow they went to seed and ended in our soil and/compost. They are everywhere! At least I will have loads of composting material when I prepare the beds in Spring for the toms. ;)
Last edited by TheDante on Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDante
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:32 am

Would you want me to repost all the previous pics into the lettuces forum or have my posts just moved over? What are your thoughts? Do let me know what you would prefer?

Took a few pics from the polytunnel just then. It´s an utter mess! :lol: Charles would so shake his head! But the kale and spinach are soooooooooooooo sweet from the frosty cold. ;)
20200110_143018.jpg
20200110_143048.jpg
20200110_143030.jpg
20200110_143040.jpg
20200110_143004.jpg
Last edited by TheDante on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:35 am

TheDante wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:19 am I am pleasantly amazed by the ´age´ group thus far in the forum. Truly. Full of energy and robust! I honestly would not have guessed that about your age and the rest of the peeps too. I am ummmm… (PM replied ;) ) .... ´mew´... a tiny Cougar - altho I do still think I am a wee little kitten! :lol:
image.png
~ Patti ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:37 am

Karen, how old are you if I may ask? I thought you had to be very young to harvest that huge, beautiful tub of lettuce. I totally appreciate (and admire) those greens as that is a lot of work if you are clipping leaf by leaf to harvest over a long period of time.
Despite my age (and decrepitude 😂) I still love to experiment. And I ,particularly, like to read all I can on historical vegetable gardening methods.
I just wish I could lessen the workload of the TOMATOES -i.e. planting WAY TOO MANY despite the earnest resolutions
to cut back.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Huffaker

TheDante
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 am

MissS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:35 am
TheDante wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:19 am I am pleasantly amazed by the ´age´ group thus far in the forum. Truly. Full of energy and robust! I honestly would not have guessed that about your age and the rest of the peeps too. I am ummmm… (PM replied ;) ) .... ´mew´... a tiny Cougar - altho I do still think I am a wee little kitten! :lol:
image.png
Yikes! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks to the movie Jaws, I am TERRIFIED of wading in any kind of water - even swimming pools! :lol: (although I can swim too!)

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”