Greens and Lettuces in Kiddie Swimming Pool

asaump
Reactions:

Re: Greens and Lettuces in Kiddie Swimming Pool

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Holy Smokes!!! I thought dealing with black flies was bad while putting out the garden. Sure glad I don't have those lizards running around in Maine.
Ken

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm

They are creepy and very destructive in the garden. Non-native , extremely invasive. No real predators to keep them in check.
South Florida is overrun by them. I had to move those containers that were by the water. Luckily I don’t have too many Iguanas anymore. They stay in my neighbors yard, lots of them. My main garden has to be away from the water. My main pest there are peacocks and they are a huge pain but they don’t like tomatoes. They like salad greens and brassicas. :roll:
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:45 am

MsCowpea wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm They are creepy and very destructive in the garden. Non-native , extremely invasive. No real predators to keep them in check.
South Florida is overrun by them. I had to move those containers that were by the water. Luckily I don’t have too many Iguanas anymore. They stay in my neighbors yard, lots of them. My main garden has to be away from the water. My main pest there are peacocks and they are a huge pain but they don’t like tomatoes. They like salad greens and brassicas. :roll:
It's so amazing to me that peacocks have now gotten west Broward to be their natural habitat. When I was a kid, the only time you ever saw them was by going into Crandon Park Zoo.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:45 pm

I think it is peculiar to this neighborhood and a few others. A neighbor had them and geese too. They just multiplied and wandered all over.
I counted 17 one time in my yard but now it is just 1 or 2. They forced us to fence a part of the garden that never needed one before.
We have seen a fox around and raccoons, something gets them, particularly the babies. I’m glad there aren’t so many anymore but I would miss them if they were all were gone. Some neighbors hate them as they peck on their shiny car fenders.
Carl Huffaker

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 pm

I really enjoy reading this thread. I love the pool container gardening. The gardens are so neat and tidy.

I once had 3 Peacock's walk into my yard. I had to do a double take as it sure is not something that you see every day up here. One hen, a regular male and an albino male. The next week I had a Cockatoo. I can not imagine have these kinds of birds around every day.
~ Patti ~

AZGardener
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Peach Faced love birds have naturalized here. They love the seed heads on the sunflowers.
The kiddie pool lettuce bed was successful and I may do it again next winter, but will plant fewer seeds, it was a little too densely planted.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Glad your lettuce was a success. Yes, you do learn a lot by trial and error.

Peacock enjoying a salad. Swimming pool off to left. (Tell me if image is upside down.)
IMG_0210.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Huffaker

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:15 pm

People sometimes have peacocks as pets in my area (they just roam free, but stay around the property). I didn't know there were wild peacocks in the USA, but that makes sense.

At least, I thought they were pets (or ornamental livestock).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”