EarthBox Fertilizer Comparisons 2020

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Re: EarthBox Fertilizer Comparisons 2020

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 am

Marsha, you have so many boxes, I know it is a huge job to clear it up.

Marsha and Barb, how long do you let them sit in plastic bag? 2 or 3 months? Or Until you are ready to replant them? Please tell me they don’t get weeds under the clear plastic.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:12 am

Barb, just saw your comment about the EB getting too warm/hot. This is something that has also been brought up when using black containers.
And sometimes they are sitting on hot concrete. Mine EB are on dark asphalt. I have been meaning to figure out something to raise them up a
bit. I also need to do this as my old basketball court floods with water now when we have a deluge of rain. Can be as high as 4 inches which covers the drain hole. I raised all of them up by sitting them on big drainage pipe but that is only a temporary solution.

One time I bought this roll of silver insulation stuff to wrap around black containers but I never got into using it once that roll was gone. At that time I had too many containers.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 am

I let them sit until I use them - late October at the earliest. I clean them out first and only use what is good - nothing from the top or the bottom. So many roots. I stuff them so they have a huge loaf - 2 EBs makes only 1 to be solarized. When I am ready to use the mix, the top half - dome and some in the box is what I use for the Root Pouches (Fabric bags). Then I add new mix for the EBs.

Weeds don't grow in the clear Husky bags.

----
Re: hot - I use to grow only on my pool deck - super hot but I use to put barriers/containers/shadecloth in front of the EBs so they didn't get hot. When I moved off the pool deck, I stopped doing that and can really tell a difference. I use to think that the large tomatoes just were much more productive in a root pouch, but it was probably more of a heat factor. Also, with the EB visits you went to in FL, did they grow in one season like we do?

Even now, I was growing lettuce in EB on the pool deck, but I put shade cloth over the unused tomato cages. Well low and behold, those EB that were shaded by the lettuce EB and shade cloth still have a lot of good tomatoes. Plus they didn't get the little leaf disease that spread to the rest of my plants.

ETA - In late January when we had the terrible weather and my plants on the west side of my house got destroyed, all of the ones in the root pouches came back good as new, whereas NONE of the ones in the EBs did. I think it had to be root temperature related. Also when it is going to be really cold (40s), I don't add water to the box.

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:49 am

Another thought to consider:

On the Texas Tomato Food site, look at the 10th picture and description. The plant looks huge, great, and would be super productive, but they say
"10th: toward the end of production they are at 8-9' and becoming difficult to manage. The next crop has long since been germinated and is waiting in flats for transplanting".

https://theurbanfarm.com/slideshow.html

At that stage, is when the plants are getting really expensive to feed. IDK - I think a different mindset; not trying to get every last tomato.

-----
I also found great info that I read previously re: TTF - will make another thread with it.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:22 am

I will reread the Urban Farms website.

Re The EB Research Center: I only know they close in the summer and reopen in August. I am not sure how cold it gets over winter.
(Ellenton, Fl.) MR. Blake W. Once told me he planted boxes out twice a year and uses mix for 7 years but probably depends on crop.
Just went to their website. the FAQ is interesting. They have ‘tweaked’ the system. For instance, They plant cucumber 4 times a year in a box and don’t remove fertilizer but once a year.

Earthbox Garden Center (Research Center)
http://www.earthboxstore.com/

http://www.earthboxstore.com/faq.asp

I am happy with just one long season. Wouldn’t like to replant them twice.

This was taken November 29, 17 at the Research Center. ( sorry it’s blurry)
5B5D5039-A615-4EFB-828D-D26F277BCA5B.jpeg
Nov. 29, 17
7279595B-A36A-4950-8863-F1C15AFE92A6.jpeg
Can’t resist, one more from Nov. 29. Research Center
30FF0EEE-6617-42DF-A3DE-9DCBCDCEE822.jpeg

***I am going to add these pics to my thread on the Research Center.***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:03 am

Barb_FL wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:35 am Thanks for the tip on HD carrying the clear Husky bags. The HD here just had the black ones - 55 gallon is really large; I've always gone with the 42 gallon size which allows the earthbox to slide in and enough room for to tie off.

Last year I left the T-Posts as is and was only going to remove them if a hurricane was coming. That saved some time this season not having to do it again.

Our yard waste gets picked up on Weds, so I make sure I have both cans filled. I think I have all the large tomato plants pulled already. I end up taking the cages off because it is so much easier to pull the plant out.

----
Elaine, Marsha - JMO but other than bugs, I think the earthboxes stop producing because the reservoir gets and stays so warm. I pulled an Earthbox early on (April) and the potting mix was hot.
Barb, I got the clear plastic ones by ordering online, then it was shipped to the store. Took 2 days. 55 gallon was all I could find at the HD website. Mine produce until late April and early May, but I have noticed the soil is quite hot. I think the soil gets hot in the rest of the country during to the Summer, but now that I think about it it seems like they don't have production when it's the high heat either.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:13 am

I got these on Amazon. ToughBag (prime and free returns)
50 bags for $30

They are not CRYSTAL CLEAR! Don’t know if you want them completely clear. Look at the picture.

33 inches by 48 inches (I haven’t stuck an EB in one but they look big. They have been in my shed for 2 years.)

42 GALLON

3.0 Mil - 50/Case Garbage Bags (Clear)
by ToughBag
4.3 out of 5 stars 131 ratings
Price: $29.99
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:09 pm

MsCowpea wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:13 am I got these on Amazon. ToughBag (prime and free returns)
50 bags for $30

They are not CRYSTAL CLEAR! Don’t know if you want them completely clear. Look at the picture.

33 inches by 48 inches (I haven’t stuck an EB in one but they look big. They have been in my shed for 2 years.)

42 GALLON

3.0 Mil - 50/Case Garbage Bags (Clear)
by ToughBag
4.3 out of 5 stars 131 ratings
Price: $29.99
I don't see a picture, did it fail to load?
- Marsha

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 pm

These are 55 gallon, and also a 55 count bags, Husky brand, really a pretty good price.
Screenshot_20200616-181854.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:00 am

Barb, I got Mt. Magic seeds from Johnnys and from Fedco.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:15 am

Marsha , that is a good price and I think your bags may be a true clear while mine are more opaque. Just google Amazon clear ToughBag.
Amazon has other much cheaper bags but they are only 1 mil thick. Unless you are planning on reusing them would the thinner bags work?
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:15 am Marsha , that is a good price and I think your bags may be a true clear while mine are more opaque. Just google Amazon clear ToughBag.
Amazon has other much cheaper bags but they are only 1 mil thick. Unless you are planning on reusing them would the thinner bags work?
I tried them, they dont work at all. They crack and break after about 3 weeks.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:12 am

Oh, that is good to know. They do show them with light soda cans in them for recycling so I guess they aren’t made for extended sun exposure.
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm

The husky clear bags are see through but now like water clear or ziplock back clear. I tried doubling 1.5 mil bags on one and it didn't hold up at all.

That's a great price Marsha.

---
Thanks for the info about Magic Mountain - Johnny's is sold out but I found them at Tomato Growers in FL and Totally Tomato. I don't need them for months but will probably just order from TGS.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:43 pm

‘Unbanned’ by Earthbox forum, don’t know why.

I asked a question way back in March on the EB Forum . I had to rejoin as the forum
wasnt accepting my old sign-in from years ago. When I went back to see the answer it said “Sorry - - - , you are banned from using this forum! This ban is not set to expire.”

Huge advocate for Earthboxes for over 20 years. Really puzzled and 😡 🤬.

Anyway, I just clicked on the Earthbox forum as I have occasionally done over the last few months. But This time I got on. Shocked.

Found my question dated March 3:

Hi garden doc,

On another forum you mentioned in 2017 after a visit to EB research center that you were going to try 1 tsp Miracle Gro every week and then add in 1 tsp calcium nitrate every other week instead of the usual ‘snack’.     

How did that work out?  And is this in addition to your usual 1 cup strip of 10-10-10?  Or are you skipping the strip?

(Just to double check , was that 1 tsp or 1 tablespoon of Miracle Gro weekly?)

Did you  decide you liked one supplement over another?

Thanks for your insight and experimentation. 

March 5. Response From gardendoc

DEF, thanks for the question. First, with the strip I'm now using 1 cup 5-5-5 or 8-8-8. I like to go lean with the strip

I think overall the calcium nitrate is a better choice, I know some folks have a little trouble finding it in their area.

So there you have it . For those into conventional, synthetic* fertilization garden doc has cut back on the 2 cup recommendation and
still likes the calcium nitrate. I appreciate his answering the question.

(*ADDED: DONT KNOW IF THE FERTILIZER GARDENDOC USES IS SYNTHETIC OR ORGANIC- NOT SPECIFIED.)
Last edited by MsCowpea on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:31 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:43 pm ‘Unbanned’ by Earthbox forum, don’t know why.

I asked a question way back in March on the EB Forum . I had to rejoin as the forum
wasnt accepting my old sign-in from years ago. When I went back to see the answer it said “Sorry - - - , you are banned from using this forum! This ban is not set to expire.”

Huge advocate for Earthboxes for over 20 years. Really puzzled and 😡 🤬.

Anyway, I just clicked on the Earthbox forum as I have occasionally done over the last few months. But This time I got on. Shocked.

Found my question dated March 3:

Hi garden doc,

On another forum you mentioned in 2017 after a visit to EB research center that you were going to try 1 tsp Miracle Gro every week and then add in 1 tsp calcium nitrate every other week instead of the usual ‘snack’.     

How did that work out?  And is this in addition to your usual 1 cup strip of 10-10-10?  Or are you skipping the strip?

(Just to double check , was that 1 tsp or 1 tablespoon of Miracle Gro weekly?)

Did you  decide you liked one supplement over another?

Thanks for your insight and experimentation. 

March 5. Response From gardendoc

DEF, thanks for the question. First, with the strip I'm now using 1 cup 5-5-5 or 8-8-8. I like to go lean with the strip

I think overall the calcium nitrate is a better choice, I know some folks have a little trouble finding it in their area.

So there you have it . For those into conventional, synthetic fertilization garden doc has cut back on the 2 cup recommendation and
still likes the calcium nitrate. I appreciate his answering the question.
Glad you got back on. Must have been a glitch, because I can't see where you did anything wrong.
I wonder If gardendoc was still using a synthetic strip with numbers that low. Usually if under 10 it's an organic or mostly organic fertilizer.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:41 am

That is a good point. I don’t know if he is using organic or synthetic. With that low 5-5-5 it could very well be organic. For some reason I would have thought he would have said organic such and such but maybe not. Though you can probably find something with those NPKs (I have an 8-8-8 bought for an experiment) they are expensive.
EB Stone brand and Dr. Earth have an organic 5-5-5 maybe he uses one of those??? And he is only using a cup. I will go back on the forum one more time and ask as now I am curious and I also prefer organic fertilizer.
Carl Huffaker

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:09 pm

I use Ecoscraps 5-5-5 it's organic & I was using TTF down the tube as a supplement at first but have since changed to either MG Bloom Booster or Florabloom or Alaska Morbloom once the fruit have formed & I felt the plants needed a boost. I don't use the calcium as I rarely have blossom end rot.
I'd like to be consistent & use organic or synthetic in both the strip AND supplement, not mixing as I'm doing now. But I haven't found an organic liquid that is a bloom booster. So for now I guess I'll just continue as is since this is what a lot of people apparently do.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:37 pm

That's interesting just one cup - I agree with those #'s, it probably is organic. But, with Calcium Nitrate / MG as the only snack, it doesn't seem enough food especially with our long season.

If you read the recommended dosage for Tomato Tone, it says 2 cups for every cubic foot. One year I did 4 cups instead of EB recommended 3 cups for organic since the EB with the loaf is 2 Cubic Ft. In recent years, I'm doing barely much on the loaf part - saves on potting mix and I see no downside.

I've been breaking down my EB, and pressure washing them as I go. I think I have 11 completely done so far; and still trying to dry some out and dumping some mix as I go too.

The '19-20 season I didn't do any Fert Strips and what I am finding is clumping of mix/root just about the earthbox screen. I haven't been saving any of the clumps, but I'm pretty sure it is the organic fertz clumped up.

It will be interesting to see how Hyr Brix works for the '20-21 season. It is 5-8-10 so easy to add more N if needed. Maybe my plants won't get so huge.

I still have a ton to do outside.

Marsha / Elaine - Is your mango season over? Mine is - first time it is over before pineapples. I've have eaten 4 so far and they were fairly large. Not as large as store bought as a group larger than prior years.

Peebee - Why did you stop using TTF? I always use it as my benchmark. I've seen organic bloom boasters; I will try to find them and report back.
There is Neptune's Harvest Tomato and Vegetable Ferts - 2-4-2. I've used it before when I was experimenting with the super soils that I thought ran out of gas, but fed from the top. There are others that I saw and was going to tell Elaine.

Here was one I was looking at (in the grow) though, but never mentioned it b/c on Amazon it says it doesn't sell to FL.

Elaine - I'm glad you are no longer banned from the EB forum.

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:20 pm

[mention]Barb_FL[/mention] I stopped TTF in the EBs mainly cuz I was running out of it and wanted to save it for my in-ground plants. I also felt it wasn't doing much in the EBs; I did an experiment where I used synthetics in 1 & TTF in the other for the same variety of bell peppers. The one with the TTF didn't do so well.
I'll look for that fert the next time I visit the hydroponics store. Thanks for the tip.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”