Using Promix bales in EBs

peebee
Reactions:

Using Promix bales in EBs

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 pm

This question is 2-fold; first, what is your best method of unwrapping & prepping the bales for use? I haul the bag into a wheelbarrow, cut it open, and hack it in manageable increments to water it down. Such a chore. I have to do this half a bag at a time as it won't fit.
And next, do you moisten the medium before you add it to the EB? I have always done so as the mix is very dry, but I wonder, since water will be wicked up anyways, is this an unnecessary step? I was thinking of letting it naturally hydrate for as long as that takes, in the EB, then removing some to mix in the lime before doing the final fertilizer strip on top.
Your thoughts please.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Re: Using Promix bales in EBs

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:07 am

For both new and reuse mix, I pull out a large bucket at a time and leave the rest in the thick plastic bag. I only really moisten (wet) what I am putting in the wicking slots. Then I put a screen over the aeration screen and sometimes will put wet Promix on that too so that nothing will fall through.

I don't moisten any more. I skipped the fertilizer strip entirely this year and just mixed the dry throughout.

When I transplant, I will water the plant really well from the top. I may water it again from the top if it is early in the season (ie hot) but that's it.

If you are using the promix mainly dry, you will really need to fill up the EB with water more frequently in the beginning.

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 am

Barb you have just reminded me of why I thought rewetting might be unnecessary: yes I do water from the top of course when planting. So I could very well do that to facilitate the from-bottom wetting.
I have 2 new EBs that I will need to fill this year so I think I'll try this. I put a single layer of paper towels over the screen to prevent any mix from dropping into the bottom. I will moisten just enough mix to go into the wicking corners like you do & also a bit over the towels.
I wish it would rain here more often as I've opened a bag of Promix right before & let the rain soften the contents. If only it were a zip lock type of bag, then it would be so much easier to remove what you need :(

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:00 am

I have a gorilla cart, and it holds 2 bales, so we just use that, then transport to the patio where I use what I need from the bags of Promix, keeping the plastic closed over the rest. I don't pre moisten , not even the punch down for wicking, but I do water the transplants in quite well from the top for about 3 days. I don't use an additional screen, and some mix does fall through, but I guess I'm OK with that. I am still using my fert in a strip, but maybe I'll try mixing it in, as I do with my dolomite.
- Marsha

roper2008
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 pm

I don’t make it easy, but I make a hole big enough for a shovel to get through, and shovel what I need. I put a large clay saucer for pots on top of the hole when I’m done using it. Some rain gets in but that’s fine.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm

I am not an EB grower, but go through a lot of pro mix. I have found that a bale fits well in a black plastic mortar mixing tub. They are durable and uv stable, found with the concrete supplies at the hardware store. I break up my pro mix and moisten it in a bin. They are also great watering bins in which to set other potted plants.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:38 pm

I've never had a bag of potting mix/soil that I could use without moistening. The stuff is so dry that water runs off of it, or in the case of a potted plant, water just sits on top of the dry mix and doesn't wet more than the first 1/4". It all has to be mixed in by hand, like kneading dough.

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Nan6b wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:38 pm I've never had a bag of potting mix/soil that I could use without moistening. The stuff is so dry that water runs off of it, or in the case of a potted plant, water just sits on top of the dry mix and doesn't wet more than the first 1/4". It all has to be mixed in by hand, like kneading dough.
Even if wicked from the bottom?

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:39 pm

I don't recall that being successful, but perhaps I didn't wait long enough. So that does work in the EBs? How long does it take?

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 pm

No matter what mix I use I always dump in wheel barrow and moisten. While in the wheelbarrow I always make a little section slightly wetter and that goes in the corners. I seldom use pro mix in EB (but I have used a lot in the past). Now my mixes are loose. It does make it easier to deal with than the compressed bale. I did buy some pro mix recently for seed starting. I pretty much do as peebee outlines, hack some off and moisten.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

peebee
Reactions:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:12 pm

MsCowpea wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 pm No matter what mix I use I always dump in wheel barrow and moisten. While in the wheelbarrow I always make a little section slightly wetter and that goes in the corners. I seldom use pro mix in EB (but I have used a lot in the past). Now my mixes are loose. It does make it easier to deal with than the compressed bale. I did buy some pro mix recently for seed starting. I pretty much do as peebee outlines, hack some off and moisten.
What do you use now instead of Promix? Last I looked, my local Lowe's didn't have any & it looks like they removed the sign for it which means they will put something else there. I'm open to any medium that'll do the job well.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 pm

That always happens—once you get used to a product they stop carrying it. Maybe you could find a real nursery supply company in your area. Hydroponic stores are exorbitantly expensive when it comes to mixes.

I used Fafard 3 B. for donkeys years and then couldn’t get it anymore. This year I got Metro Mix 830 which is supposed to be similar. Never used it before. It says Sun Gro on the bag but is made by Metro Mix. It does have pine bark in it as well. I believe I paid $14 for a big bag. They also have a mix that is closer to pro-mix with no pine bark. So there are choices. These mixes are professionally manufactured mixes for the nursery trade.
Carl Huffaker

peebee
Reactions:

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 am

I've seen the Sunshine/Metro mix online, do let us know how that works out. The other mix without pine bark has a wetting agent in it I think.
I bought the last 2 bags of Promix that Lowe's had, @ $12 a bag cuz they had a hole or 2, plus cuz they were on clearance as they were going to stop carrying it.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:24 am

I have used both Pro Mix and Coir in my Earthboxes as well as a mixture of both. I am steering more towards using just coir mixed with some peat, perlite, compost and rabbit manure. The Promix has tended to get smelly in the bottom after sitting out all winter. Coir does not. But I do use the ProMix for transplants after starting seeds either in paper towels, Promix or Coir. I find it easier to wet both Pro Mix and Coir before using. I also just break large pieces off and close up the bag but It is kept in a protected shed to stay dry. 5 gallon buckets come in handy for transporting to the EB’s In a cart. Am finding this a very useful thread.

RIPGaryColeman
Reactions:

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:51 am

Wheelbarrow and/or concrete mixing tub (large is 10 gal), hydrate. Leaving it out in the rain works best for me.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:47 pm

Speaking of pro-mix, I found this at Walmart the other day. I have never seen pro-mix in any formula locally. I bought this one to try. I will be using it in a container/barrel planter. Would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.
If this is too off topic, please feel free to move to appropriate area.
promix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:35 pm

The word "moisture" in the name tells me there is probably those gels in the mix. I might use for flowers but not for vegetables.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm

Oh, I would definitely give it shot but what does the package say it is composed of. It is not super heavy , is it? It is funny they say herbs and not for vegetables - herbs don’t need a lot of water either. In any case you can control watering in a container or barrel. It would be great if it was a good product. Can’t stand when your only choice is Miracle Gro potting mix.
Carl Huffaker

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:25 pm

I have problems with fungus gnats in the (uncompressed) mixes I buy. Does the compressed mix eliminate gnats?

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Nan6b wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:25 pm I have problems with fungus gnats in the (uncompressed) mixes I buy. Does the compressed mix eliminate gnats?
I've never had fungus gnats in closed fresh bales of compressed PromixBX. But you can combat them with Gnatrol. It kills their larvae.
- Marsha

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”