How is the EB Junior?

peebee
Reactions:

How is the EB Junior?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm

I have strawberries in 1 regular EB but it seems such a waste for such small little plants that could do as well in a smaller shallower container. I know the juniors are not popular among EB fans as their usage is limited but what about for herbs & such, besides strawberries? I'm tempted to buy one as I saw on eBay free shipping & around $13-14.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: How is the EB Junior?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:28 pm

I got a deal of 4 of them one time, and replaced all of my windowsill boxes around my deck with them! I only grow herbs and lettuce in them, so that they are right outside my door in the summer. Here is one of the junior EBs, with 6 basils in it:
ImageBasils 5-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The only drawback is the 1 gal reservoir, but no big deal. I have a drip system on them, that is hooked into the line run to the suide and front beds, and just check them with a "dipstick", then open the valve to these, and close it, after one starts dripping.

I have grown a number of herbs in them, but some get rootbound, despite the constant supply of moisture (most plants don't do this, since they don't have to "search" for water so much). The ones that did this with me were chives and garlic chives, flat leaf parsley, and rao ram, the latter being the worst, though also larger than any plant I ever grew in the ground.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:36 pm

I have 7 of them and grow lettuce in them. I don't use any cover, but your cover looks nice and snug. Other than filling the reservoir the first time, I rarely have to add any water. What is that on top?

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:54 pm

Barb_FL wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:36 pm What is that on top?
That's a rat trap, but for other pests, like squirrels.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:08 am

I thought it was a Rat trap but the one's I've seen are wood like. Aren't you afraid you will get a bird? Do you get rats? Squirrels?

Squirrels here wait for mango season. I'm sure rats too, but I don't see them.

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:22 am

Barb_FL wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:08 am I thought it was a Rat trap but the one's I've seen are wood like. Aren't you afraid you will get a bird? Do you get rats? Squirrels?

I stopped using rat traps because I did get a beautiful bird in one--and to my horror it was still barely alive when I discovered it. Of course that would be the only day my hubby wasn't home & I had to think of a way to put it out of its misery. I used a shovel to kill it & I was upset for days :cry:

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:24 am

Peebee, know that was difficult but thank goodness you had the strength and wherewithal to put the poor thing out of its misery.

Aren’t these EB Juniors?
49D8BDF1-EFFE-4B39-ABFA-1AAD54EBE2DB.jpeg
034D2CAF-C76C-4923-9D7E-82694DC32251.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:16 pm

I'm very tempted to buy one now. I grew basil in an EB-like pot last summer & I was a very popular person in my neighborhood :lol: . I got the pot in Japan for only $8 but it was a pain carrying it back. I bought a large carryon bag to bring back more before I cancelled my trip due to the coronavirus. I'll post pics of it someday soon.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Barb_FL wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:08 am I thought it was a Rat trap but the one's I've seen are wood like. Aren't you afraid you will get a bird? Do you get rats? Squirrels?

The only birds I have gotten were starlings and sparrows, both of which are also pests here.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 am

Elaine- In the first picture, the EB on the left with the ribbed sides are Juniors.

Pepperhead - Our bird pests are #1: Mockingbirds, then Blue Jays but still wouldn't want them to get trapped. We also have a lot of doves but they will just eat what's fallen on the ground and never peck at a tomato on the vine. If I see a beautiful cardinal in the cage, I just watch their beauty.

Pee Bee - I think I got the EB Jrs for about $15 each on one of their sales and they use to sell them 3 or more with a discount. I am able to grow lettuce longer from and into the really hot months.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:30 pm

I use the junior for pepper plants and have for at least five years. They are the perfect size for two pepper plants, but they often need staking with a little bamboo. I have been know to throw an onion or two in each box as well.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:54 pm

peebee wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:22 am

I stopped using rat traps because I did get a beautiful bird in one--and to my horror it was still barely alive when I discovered it. Of course that would be the only day my hubby wasn't home & I had to think of a way to put it out of its misery. I used a shovel to kill it & I was upset for days :cry:
I have an old milk crate, square, with holes and spaces for handles. The kind people used to store their records in.
That goes over a rat trap when I need to use it and I never get other creatures in it. Not a sure thing though and I had to drown one poor little ratling that didn't die quickly. I hate the whole business.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:43 pm

Today I took 2 of my Jr EBs outside, and pulled what was left of last year's plants out, added a bit more mix, put the same covers back on both, though I had to "staple" them on, as the elastic is gone from the 3 year old cover! lol One has 4 openings, and that one I put 2 of the Red Dragon napa plants, and 2 of the Red Streaked Mizuna.
ImageRed dragon napa and red streaked mizuna, in a Jr EB, 3-3-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The other has 6 openings, and in this one I put 4 lettuce plants - one of the red saved variety, one Avenue, and two Red Fire. In the other 2 spots I put 2 more mizuna plants.
Image3 types of lettuce, and red streaked mizuna, in a Jr EB, 3-3-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I moistened each plant, and added about 1/2 gal to each reservoir of a hydroponics nutrient solution, to give them a boost, but I didn't pull out the strip and add to it - I'll just add some of the hydro nutrients, every few weeks, depending on the rate of growth. That napa is the largest (I think) variety I've grown in the Jr. Normally, 4 leaf lettuce plants supplies more than I can use; I now have the 3 in hydro, and will have several in my raised bed, so I'll have to come up with more wraps and that type of thing, rather than just salad!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 pm

One of the advantages of Junior is that they are not popular, so supplies, etc have been cheap. (Especially if you like red covers!) I grew lettuce and spinach in ours. And now the absolute best gerbera daisies we've ever had. I've also grown bell peppers and micro dwarfs in mine. Zucchini did not work out well.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 pm

I have grown my peppers in them exclusively for the last five years with great success. I highly recommend them. I grow one or two per box.

However, you must find a way to stake them when they start fruiting. I usually just cut down some bamboo canes and brace the plants on two sides.

I have been known to throw an onion or two in with the peppers (one onion for two peppers or two onions for one pepper) and they grow to massive bulbs in one season.

(ETA I always use the red covers for peppers and tomatoes.)
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”