How's your weather?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
slugworth
Reactions:

Re: How's your weather?

Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Knock wood still have power.
The sun was out for a while,was being eyeballed.
Luckily the wind wasn't from the south(yet) so no crabs.
No salt water spray so the tomato plants are grateful.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Vanman
Reactions:

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:40 pm

Bower wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:41 pm Just a shoutout to all our friends and members in Tennessee, hoping you are safe! after reading about the flash flooding on the news. Yikes. :shock:
Hoping you're safe and undamaged @ContainerTed @Vanman @HenriSportif !

Further north, news says Henri has caused some coastal flooding but doesn't look too bad. I hope you're high and dry @slugworth
The flooding was about 40 miles from me. It is unbelievable. That town was destroyed about 45 years ago when a train derailed and a propane tank car exploded.

bower
Reactions:

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:44 pm

I'm glad to hear you are okay Vanman. Sheesh and wow.. so close and crazy bad weather. :(
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

slugworth
Reactions:

Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:33 am

hurricane isaias last year was much worse for me.
Lights didn't even flicker this time.
2 different rain gauges and both showed only 1.5 inches of rain.
I couldn't believe how many people left Adirondack chairs out,potential projectiles
along with water buckets after the water co. scared people by saying they were going to shut
municipal water off.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:43 am

In the aftermath of IDA, I was relieved to see on the news last night, that evacuees from Houma were in Lafayette, giving me hope that [mention]Rajun Gardener[/mention] was spared the worst. Hope those pecans are standing tall! Also thinking of you [mention]fluffy_gumbo[/mention] hoping you evacuated and are safe! And our friends in Mississippi [mention]JohnJones[/mention] and [mention]goodloe[/mention] and Alabama [mention]Fusion_power[/mention] . Hope your homes and gardens are not damaged!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

goodloe
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:44 am

Thanks [mention]Bower[/mention] . All good here on the Southern edge of Northeast MS!
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:22 pm

A half inch here this morning - most went NE of Philly - but that's just the beginning from Ida. The most is supposed to come in the later afternoon and evening, 2-4" (though one model has it lower, now) - also in a tornado watch over a large part of southern NJ, eastern PA, and DE. Definitely a day to stay out of the garden!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:28 pm

1.5” rain in about 40 minutes here. Lots of nearby lightning strikes. Lots of wind, too. Really cooled things off. Just a big isolated thunderstorm we happened to be under. Kind of built up right over us. Rain was needed.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:26 pm

Forecast to nudge 80F here today after low 70's yesterday and tomorrow, but tomorrow and Saturday bring forecast of 1.5 to 2.5 inches of rain over the two days

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Well, I bit the bullet from Ida, because a tornado passed by my town, doing damage to a town in the south, and later in the north, and warnings are still up in Burlington, 2 counties north, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I'm up to 2.2" of rain, with more to come.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

brownrexx
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 pm

[mention]pepperhead212[/mention] it has been raining most of the day here. We have had 6 in of rain so far and lots of roads are flooded and impassable. No problems here at my house so far.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:07 pm

I was wondering how it went at your place, [mention]brownrexx[/mention]. It looked like you got a lot more rain, but fortunately, the tornados missed both of us. I'm up to 2.4" now, with the rain still coming, but the tornados are gone now.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:27 pm

Whwoz wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:26 pm Forecast to nudge 80F here today after low 70's yesterday and tomorrow, but tomorrow and Saturday bring forecast of 1.5 to 2.5 inches of rain over the two days
Forgot to mention that Sunday we are back to 55F maximum

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:19 am

Since midnight 26 hours ago, we had 1" overnight, cleared the gauge at noon Wed., 3" more by about 5pm (cleared it) when I went to pick red beets! Because someone made hard boiled eggs without red beets on hand. The gauge at the garden measure just slightly higher than 4" - I had cleared it yesterday. While I was there I had to pick a tray of tomatoes and couple cantaloupe. It was nice straight down rain until then. A big umbrella worked well enough. I always try to check the gardens during heavy rain, to check the drainage and such. Raised rows are awesome...all other plots were under water, but the water was just streaming down between my covered rows. Except for little dammed up area behind my drip line header. I dug a small channel under those. I still have potatoes in. I hope, and think, they will be fine. And the back of one plot where the wood chip path dammed the flow. I can see why okra grows so well at that spot. The wind picked up when I was leaving the garden. When I got back, it really rained! It was coming down at an angle from the north, so hitting our backyard, cellar door, sump pump corner. Had to run the sump pump soon after, as the ground became saturated, but I fully expected to. Must have been 4" more, it just poured at times, from 5-10, tapered off at 11p. When I checked at midnight, I was expecting to find the gauge full, and as I approached it I couldn't see the line except maybe at the top, so thought it was at 4-1/2". 6 hours of heavy rain...I don't know if it broke or the angle was that bad, but the rain gauge only caught 3/4"? It's just a tapered 5" accurite. I don't think there were any 5 gal buckets to measure with, either, they would be more reliable.

But it was just a heavy rain, power never went out, basement needs to be aired out with fans. Happens every few years, but I did do some drainage piping this year to direct the rain gutter exhaust well away from the house, with no overflow allowed. I went out and checked both barrels twice and the rain barrel overflows were perfect and the pop drains were raised a 1/4", discharging. After 4" at 5 pm, the basement was still dry. At least that feels good to know about everything that can be done, was done. It will always be a wet basement in this house if enough water is thrown sideways and misses the roof/gutters.

edit: What I'd really love to do is cut/grind channels into the floors at the walls to direct water around to the sump. And then have the sump pump permanently hooked up. But it seems like a lot of work for an unfinished basement that rarely floods.

Spike
Reactions:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:23 am

Gonna be a beautiful day here with a high of only 73° and sunny.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:53 am

JRinPA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:19 am What I'd really love to do is cut/grind channels into the floors at the walls to direct water around to the sump. And then have the sump pump permanently hooked up. But it seems like a lot of work for an unfinished basement that rarely floods.
[mention]JRinPA[/mention] I would not recommend doing that. In the past basements were built with a trough around the outside edges to allow water drainage to a sump pit. This practice has been discontinued because it also funnels radon into the house. PA has a lot of radon. We had a high level at out house and installed a radon system many years ago. We sealed every crack in the floor at that time.

[mention]pepperhead212[/mention] [mention]Spike[/mention] we ended up with 6.08" total yesterday and there are flooded roads everywhere. The creeks and rivers are still rising and flooding houses and businesses near them. We live at a high elevation and had no problems. I just checked the basement and it is still dry.

According to the local news, this was the 4th highest amount of rainfall in 24 hours EVER.

Clear, beautiful and sunny today.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:28 pm

I did not know that, never thought much about radon. We do have plenty of cracks on the basement floor ( (( :mrgreen: )) ). This house was tested and cleared long ago, but maybe should again. There was some radon up on the ridge above town. I know they did similar two houses away, made channels, to allow them to finish their basement. That was probably the mid 80s, though I've never personally seen it. It just makes so much sense and nowadays can probably do it with a couple of levels and couple angle grinders easily enough.

I take exception to EVER - fourth highest ever recorded, so in the last 150 years. Just saying. Before then, people had to work, didn't have time or inclination to read rain gauges. It must have been a lot of work to crash prepare for a storm when the only warning was the livestock acting up a few hours ahead of time. Noah notwithstanding, or course.

I checked the comm garden gauge today. I had dumped it the day before, dumped it at 4" yesterday 5pm, and today it showed 4" again. Rain stopped at 11pm here. So we did get around 8" here, according to comm garden accurite. Or, 5", according to backyard accurite. The backyard one has the curve facing south, so the north wind rain probably really missed the gauge. Comm garden is opposite, the bubble side faces north so the flat side probably caught more.

The schuylkill at pottstown is at 36000 cfm. Just went up another 500. I think flood stage is 24000 there. The usgs gauge there reported 5".
edit: SCHUYLKILL RIVER AT POTTSTOWN, PA huh won't link. Sorry about that.

For me, watching the radar, when it comes up from the SSW like that in a deep raking fashion, and instead of breaking up, it intensifies over the last 10 miles...feels like it won't let go, even though I see the end coming. And then to have the storm from the south actually rain sharply angled from the north. Like it was just really mad at us! Why are you so angry, storm? Whereas many summertime storms coming across from WSW in a broad shallow storm front, do just the opposite and disappear right before us and reappear right after, leaving no rain here for weeks at a time. While just a mile east, (one comm gardener lives there, by a creek bottom on the woods) a mile further from the ridge, they might get an inch dumped in 25 minutes, all the corn fields drenched. I told him, you got a pickup truck, you should have tarped it and brought it here!

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 pm

Hotter than a coyotes foot in West Texas in August.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:25 pm

JRinPA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:28 pm
I take exception to EVER - fourth highest ever recorded, so in the last 150 years. Just saying. Before then, people had to work, didn't have time or inclination to read rain gauges. It must have been a lot of work to crash prepare for a storm when the only warning was the livestock acting up a few hours ahead of time. Noah notwithstanding, or course.
[mention]JRinPA[/mention] I misunderstood the weather guy. It was the 4th highest rainfall in 24 hours ever.

[mention]pepperhead212[/mention] while I was making my pear jam today I had CNN on the TV in the background and they were showing the damage in NJ. Wow, it was really bad. I had not realized that it was so bad. Glad you are safe.

We went over to Tractor Supply tonight and on the way we saw a lot of houses with hoses pumping water out of basements. Ours is still dry thankfully.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:01 pm

[mention]brownrexx[/mention] My rain topped off at 3.24", and no power outages or flooding nearby. But about 2 miles up a main road from here, it was blocked off, and there were trees and power lines down, and the road was closed. So I took another track over to my friend's house, and an apartment complex I cut through had the residue from trees blowing over, due to the saturated ground. That road was still closed when I came back, 6 hours later, so they must still be working on it.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “General Discussion”