How's your weather?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
bower
Reactions:

Re: How's your weather?

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:13 pm

When I saw the track for Zeta I just couldn't believe it. AGAIN????
Seriously I have looked at maps where they show all the storm tracks for an entire season... I don't recall ever seeing any duplicate or near-duplicate tracks in a given year. What's up 2020?
This season is far from over, we are going to use greek names that were never seen before.... pretty certainly.
I hope Zeta is the last for Louisiana though! Sheesh!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:35 am

9 degrees C here, sounds so much colder than 48 F, and the north wind is whipping down the steaming lake. Weird how there’s a living, breathing tropical hurricane out 300 kilometers from here in the gulf. Summer is now officially over here even if it isn’t yet in the Gulf of Mexico, this front is the backbreaking end of the prevailing summer pattern of very warm and humid weather, at least until likely April or May. Getting a little moisture with this blow and that too is welcomed.

Sorry for the folks to the east to have to endure yet another hurricane. I’m sore from yesterday’s sawing up a portion of a tree from our last brush with one, cannot remember which one, been so many.

Okra is now out from yesterday’s labors, put the leaves in compost bin, stalks on the burn pile. In went 3 kinds of carrots seeds, beets, radishes, spinach, japanese bunching onions, savoy cabbage and broccoli in the okra space.

I love the cool season, ain’t going to lie.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Turned into a nice sunny day with a cool breeze.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Oh what a day! Got up this morning to see the forecast of minus 3 C tonight, except for parts of the coast. That is my ticket to frost here, and it's going to be colder than those 4 little frosts we had already. So I had to get out and do some things, but the drizzle and rain didn't give much choice, I was happy to get a few little breaks without it, work in the lighter drizzle and step indoors for the heavy showers, snowflakes and sleet!! Yes it was a cold one.

I started the day in the greenhouse while it drizzled heavily, cutting down those old tomato plants and clearing the space. Some green fruit got bagged, including my two late crosses which I don't believe are going to ripen out there before Halloween.
With temperatures going so low on the forecast I know it will be a lot colder in this frost pocket, so I dug all the crops I had left in the ground - last bed of carrots, celeriac, and root parsley. There are a few more celeriac out there but maybe not really worth digging. Too late now!
I got four buckets of the horse manure moved and spread on top of the garlic beds - too wet to dig it in. And the rest had to wait, no time. I need a half day for that alone.
I had to take apart the hoses and make sure they're drained and get the connectors and nozzles put away safely or they will freeze and break.
I also brought into the greenhouse sundry potted greens, green onions and leeks. They all need repotting but they will quickly produce some tender leaves under shelter, and hold the fort until I get some new stuff seeded and grown up. Brassicas have been bitten down by butterflies but new leaves are coming, their roots are good, and they'll quickly pick up the slack in my greens-providing.
Also dug some burdock to make tincture. The A. lappa I grew from seed did not produce much root, but there are a good few of them still in the ground for next year. The A. minus I dug one plant and left the other. Hope to see them both setting seed at some point.
And the last thing I nabbed were a few dye mushrooms - I spotted a couple as I was lugging the manure and sure enough, just what I wanted.. so I took a quick nip into the woods and found a nice few still good to go, and dug a few bedstraw roots as well.

Just had another snowshower while I was writing this. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the ground tomorrow morning. Blanket for the rest.
temperate marine climate

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:31 pm

drizzle, i thought that was a british word. It is just drizzling incessantly here. i popped out to put up a featheredge panels on my fence i am building but the constant drizzle just got me in the end. reminder about the hoses, i have some buried irrigation in the beds so must get them out soon as frost will be soon upon us too- thanks for reminder. its now about the close for me on gardening and now it is all about the building and planning - oh the excitement of the new year (almost forgot , must get the garlic out thou), the mmmm and also the carolyn male tribute - scared, I probably should be....
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:28 pm

It was fairly nice today, and I got a lot done. It's just started drizzling around 5 pm, so I finished outside just in time! A lot more is coming tomorrow, from Zeta.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:48 pm

It was a misty morning today with the sun breaking through after lunch and heating us up to a very humid and sticky 83 (28C) this afternoon. Once Zeta lands tonight it's supposed to be in Atlanta by tomorrow. That's scootin'! We need some rain.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:48 am

Already .25" at 7:30 am, with much more coming later, from Zeta.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:07 am

6 degrees C, 43 F here this morning, I’m loving it. My dad’s moro blood orange trees are loaded with fruit, colder nights, into the 40’s earlier in fall help build the deep red pigments within the fruit. The oranges won’t be ripe until January, but the colder, the better until then, to a degree anyway, don’t want anything too far below freezing. Most of my garden is now in cool weather crops like cabbage, broccoli and kale so they won’t mind the cool weather either.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:54 am

As of midnight last night, there was 1.65" here from Zeta, but overnight, even more came came from another line from the midwest came through, which stopped at about 2.05" around 11 am for today, so I ended up at 3.7".

I just went outside to open up my pipes, going to the outside, to drain the water out, since it may freeze tonight; though I don't think it will be that bad, no sense taking any chances, and it's not like I'll have to water any time soon! I pulled the last 2 cups of Sprite tomatoes, and I was glad to get back in, as it was damp and raw out there!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 pm

98 degree heatwave, enjoying pina colada on the veranda, hear the birds singing, bee's buzzing, oh the smells of summer. Yawn, oh hold on , its a blooming dream. Still wet and i haven't finished the feather edge fencing and forecast is still more rain. The asparagus definately needs cutting down now, still got to do the garlic, clean the beds, transplant the chilli plants and bring them in - oh and the ginger. Cut back the garden, the vines, the blackberries. And the leaves, where did they all come from and where did I put the rake. Hold on, what will I plant next year, i shall do so much more next year, i can't wait. Its cold, its dark, perhaps i shall shut my eyes for a little while....yawn..I think..... i can hear the bees buzzing again..
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

bower
Reactions:

Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:49 pm

Yeah it snow-drizzled off and on all day today. We don't have enough words for snow. This was the kind that bounces. Totally round and bouncy but not hard like a pellet all the same. Drove through swarms of it snaking about on the pavement to deliver a few late season treats to my family this morning. Then it thawed briefly, around noon. What a feeling! :) Gee I could stay out here and... but before long it started again. Windchills in the -7C and the snow bounces.
temperate marine climate

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:11 am

The remains of Eta's rain bands passed through this morning and donated another 1.5" of much needed rain. We missed the heavier bands. That makes 2.2" total over three days. By 10am it all cleared out, the sun emerged and we're headed to a humid 80 this afternoon. The kohlrabi plants set out yesterday morning are happy and the radish seed sown should pop fast. Fall temps will resume next week.

How are you folks in Florida doing with all that rain? Not flooded, I hope.

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:28 am

I was far enough out of the main band of Eta here in Orlando, no flooding but a couple of days of near constant drizzle. Not gonna lie, I think the newly planted bare root strawberries loved it, as I was instructed to water three times a day at first. It does seem balmy here now though as the sun is poking in and out.

It was breezy enough so that Edgar brought in the two little trees we just bought and hadn't planted out yet. The avocado (a Lula) was low enough to the ground, but the banana tree leaves were like glider wings in the wind and I was concerned they'd rip.

I think everything else was sufficiently staked and/or short enough. But golly, after the hurricane season that would not end, the hurricane that would not die. But I see we have some lows in the high 50s coming next week - I'm ecstatic! - Ann

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:38 pm

The rain guage zeroed out at midnight, and I had gotten 2.02" by then. It was still raining, but not hard - it was .08" by the time I went to bed, but it was already over 2" when I came down at 8:30! It ended (for now - more coming!) at 2.64", so my total for those two big fronts that came through was 4.66".
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:57 pm

It's cooler than average on this coast. Very blustery winds, too.
It takes this kind of weather to keep me indoors to do housework!
I did go out for a brisk walk to get some take-out pho after walking the brave tiny dog who wants to go out whatever the weather. Now for that housework....

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:02 pm

We are in a La Niña event or what ever the devil it is called.
Dry as a powder house in Bastrop County Texas and no relief in sight.
Just gonna have to ride it out. :(
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:45 pm

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. it was the difference of 12 hours.
last week was unseasonably warm. we had a stretch of warm and sunny days with temps
in the 70s. monday was the last warm day in the 70s. heck, it was 62 degrees at 9am.
tuesday the temp dropped 30 degrees, and there we stay. freezing drizzle, and snow have
made the roads a little icy requiring slower driving.
it was nice while it lasted especially after the cruddy october weather we had.
now it is back to our regularly scheduled program.

keith

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:37 am

rxkeith wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:45 pm it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. it was the difference of 12 hours.
Wow. I hear from a friend in Denver who frequently shares similar weather swings within a day.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:21 pm

It's beautiful and cooler. I think the 80's just might be gone as 60's and mid 70's are on the way next week. Nights will go from 60's back down into the 40's and 50's.

After yesterday's delayed start due to rain, the Master's golfers are enjoying today's weather in nearby Augusta. It's so interesting to see the Augusta National grounds in the fall, something I've never seen before. No blooming azaleas and dogwoods but pretty leaves around the usual immaculate grounds. No patrons cheering. That's eerie and the golfers said it's almost unsettling not hearing the roars of the crowd around the course after great shots. It's the only golf tournament I watch because it's the best of the best.

Return to “General Discussion”