Anyone starting some fall crops?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
MissS
Reactions:

Anyone starting some fall crops?

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:53 pm

Is anyone starting seeds for fall crops now or just pulling things out as they are spent?

I just started some cauliflower, lettuce and zucchini seeds. Bush beans will be going in as soon as I pull the rest of the lettuce and I want to find some room to start some more beets. My garden will not end until mid October.
~ Patti ~

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Anyone starting some fall crops?

Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Soon I'll be starting some rutababa seeds, from [mention]Paquebot[/mention], and a couple weeks later I'll start some of the faster things - the Asian greens, kohlrabi, and a few other things. I'll be putting some of them under the cover again, so I don't have to rush.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Paquebot
Reactions:

Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:43 pm

I just transplanted some of those rutabagas. Probably one of the scarcest ones in the world, Vyshegorodskya. I've got some pots sitting idle after radishes and lettuce. They will get snap peas in a week or so.

Martin

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 am

Took out the rest of my tomatoes today except three, 2 cherry types and a San Marzano. Squirrels been picking off several tomatoes a day and the math just got very unfavorable. Plus, wife got tired of all my shooting at them. Squirrels and wife 1, me zero. San marzano and the cherries had been mostly bypassed, I am betting that will change.

Cucumbers got dug up too. Picked the last one yesterday.

Got stuff doing well. Pink eyed purple hull peas producing daily. Okra getting close. Peppers sort of mixed, some better than others.

Little seedlings up, butternut squash, luffa gourd and thai pumpkin.

Things on the up, others on the down. My garden is year around. Cool season crops will go in mostly in October. Things are always on the move.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:58 am

It's too hot and dry for fall crops to sprout here, right now, it seems. Same for many kinds of fresh transplants to grow without being stunted. We could probably start fall crops in mid to late August or September, but not July! :) Most weeds won't even sprout this time of year, as far as I've seen.

My season only goes until about October 10th, however. I don't usually plant fall crops, but I like to seed strawberries later on, indoors, and transplant them near the end of the season (so they can overwinter and be like second year plants the next year).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:50 am

I guess my corn and soon pink eye purple hull peas.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:47 am

I started cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli a few weeks ago and just planted them this past week. Will be harvesting garlic and onions soon so I will need something to put in those spots.

Cultivator
Reactions:

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:36 am

I'm starting tomatoes next month! I plan to grow tomatoes, pole beans, mustard greens, onions, carrots, cilantro, calendula, and garlic this fall. It'll be my first time growing a fall garden and my first time growing most of these things (from seed especially), but I'm hopeful! We have very mild fall weather here and our first frost date isn't until mid November. 🤞🏻
Zone 8b
Container amateur

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:49 am

I’ll plant carrots and spinach late. Last year, I planted both in early December which is really late, but we had a mild winter so both did great. Same for Bok Choi. Onions went in then too. Tuscan kale went in a lot earlier in October

I want to do the cool season crops earlier this fall, move the dates up a month or two. I’ve got a bigger garden than I had last fall. I’ve got several carrot varieties I want to try. Escarole is another that I want to do. There’s so many great cool season crops. Cabbage, Artichoke, I’m dying to do a few of those. Sets are supposed to go in in October or November . Going to plant the in seed in August.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:40 pm

I’m starting micro tomatoes next month and mini bell peppers indoors just to keep going

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am

Is there any concern about seeds for a particular plant not germinating well in the warm soil? I'm wondering about peas and maybe cilantro/spinach.

fluffy_gumbo
Reactions:

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 am

My tomatoes were pulled last month. Just pulled my beans (they're spent and were infested with aphids) and planted in some lima beans seeds. Waiting for a new seed shipment which has a purple bean I want to try, but I will probably also plant new yardlong beans. Still have eggplants, peppers and some okra. I think I will also put down new cucumber seeds but not sure how well they will germinate in this heat.
I will probably start broccoli, kale, mustard and collards mid/late August but the direct sowing of fall crops like lettuce, radish, etc. won't be happening till late Oct/mid Nov. IT IS SO DANG HOT HERE. :(

[mention]ponyexpress[/mention] I planted my peas when it was still in the high 70s/mid 80s last October and they didn't do too well. I think you might want to germinate them inside and transplant as soon as it's cooler.
Learn, adapt, grow! - Zone 9B
Blog: https://thebigeasygarden.wordpress.com/

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

The tomatoes are still going strong but for fall I just potted up to large buckets one Early Girl, one Rio Grande and one Millionaire eggplant. Tomorrow I will transplant two Whippersnapper micros to 3 gal buckets for growing on the porch. There are two cucumber plants ready to set out once I rig up some partial shade.

The Red Ripper field peas went in yesterday. The first broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage plants and two more summer squash will be started in two weeks, as will scallion and onion seed with kale and collards to follow several weeks later.

TXTravis
Reactions:

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:02 pm

I have seedlings started for 9 varieties of smaller tomatoes (despite getting up to 108F recently, my spring toms are still producing) that I'll put in the ground hopefully in 3 weeks or so. Some have been slow to germinate, so that may cause a change in plans. I'll assess which spring plants to tear out and which to cut back at that time, but expect that most will be spent or I'll be tired of them soon. Also planning bush beans, another trellis of cucumbers (this time for Parisian style cornichons), and my final attempt at broccoli. Maybe some onions, shallots, and garlic if I have the space--we'll see. All of the current peppers and cukes are going bonkers at the moment, which suits me just fine. I may overwinter a few of the peppers.
A seed not planted is guaranteed not to grow.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:51 pm

ponyexpress wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 am Is there any concern about seeds for a particular plant not germinating well in the warm soil? I'm wondering about peas and maybe cilantro/spinach.
Yes there is. Cool season crops like lettuce, spinach and peas don't germinate well in the high heat. They prefer temperatures of 70 degrees and below. If you start the seeds indoors they should be fine and then put them outside as soon as they germinate.

It's in the 90's here. I just started some lettuce in the house and it went fine without any special treatment.
~ Patti ~

edweather
Reactions:

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:15 pm

Our fall is almost still summer, so we have watermelons starting, as well as tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers.
Southeast GA, USDA 9a, HZ9, Sunset Z28

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:34 am

MissS wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:51 pm Yes there is. Cool season crops like lettuce, spinach and peas don't germinate well in the high heat. They prefer temperatures of 70 degrees and below. If you start the seeds indoors they should be fine and then put them outside as soon as they germinate.
Thanks. Let's take peas. Could I start peas on a paper towel and then as soon as they sprout, put them in the ground outside? Or do you mean put them in seed pots and transplant outside?

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:47 pm

I really don't see why you couldn't try your paper towel method. I myself have always used pots to start my seeds but germination is germination and to my mind this should work. Give it a try and let us know.
~ Patti ~

Tracydr
Reactions:

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:34 pm

I’m doing some canning tomatoes and then of course greens-broccoli,cabbage,kohlrabi,kale,collards,cauliflower,b.sprouts. Parsley,celery,lots of bean,more cucumbers,zuchinni. Will wait a few weeks for carrots, beets and Asian greens. Lettuce when it’s cooler,,too.
I have also been adding different squashes and pumpkins here and there.
I think I might start some short season melons,tomorrow,too.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am

Last year my in ground tomatoes lasted until November.

This year I have started some less than 70 day varieties to join them in grow bags for one final fall push. September and October are often our hot season, so I am hoping this experiment will work.

I just started bush beans, a resow of early corn, and onions to catch that late heat as well.

I also started bolt resistant lettuces, chard, scallions and brassicas for the fall. I will wait until August to start my peas, winter lettuce and spinach.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

Return to “General Discussion”