Floridians-out in the garden

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Ginger2778
Reactions:

Re: Floridians-out in the garden

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm

So here are photos of the plants under the covering, and with the covering peeled back for light.
20200922_083755.jpg
20200922_083726.jpg
20200922_085648.jpg
20200922_085719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Your plants are beautiful. Is that eggplant in the first picture? Everything has really taken off.

You and Wayne should be commended for your design. Think you are ready for shark tank.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Yes, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes. Thanks for the nice compliment.
- Marsha

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Mind if I drop by and drop off a few plants at yours, I think it would be a nice vacation for them and you seem to take good care :-)
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:02 pm

They sure are loving their new home.

Marsha:
Wayne's handywork is doing a great job holding off all the rain. When it stops, I'll get you guys better pictures. You can see the one tray that wouldn't fit under all three of these raised beds, but it's still protected off to the side. The dropcloth top is working out great, it's 6 mil thick, and reflects a lot of the heat. The plant teenagers aren't getting hot at all. That blue pot is where I put the clips during the day when I open the cover to let light in. The West side stays clipped, I just unclip the East, and center, and fold it over. So easy! Elaine, thank you so much for the idea, it's peace of mind for sure.
(added:

I can imagine Marsha’s DH clever modification of attaching pipes to wood would also work
if you wanted to build something that you wanted to walk under too.
Sort of Like a palram structure but the cross pieces would stick out. It would be built just like Wayne’s only taller.

I originally built the hoop structure like everyone did on the internet
but , without being forewarned , didn’t realize wouldn’t work in South Florida.
I had to do something with the existing hoops as I didn’t want to start all over.

The trailer has never been big enough and the additional temporary structure I use every year is OK but not ideal.
Now I have been thinking about getting a portable carport. I already have big boxes of greenhouse film and some aluminet
as I was originally going to cover the awning frame I have right by the garden.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 am, edited 8 times in total.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:15 am

Marsha, Glad to see that the Promix HP has no issues like the BX did last year. Over on TV, HP was always very popular in containers and Earthboxes particular with those looking for less water retention.
( Pro Mix BX was popular too and frequently recommended, for many it was more readily available.). (Edited: Planning on some experiments with the mixes but rethinking the particulars.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 am

Hi! Just finally got my membership over here sorted out.

Are we thinking this week's milder weather is too good to be true - too good to last at least? I'm in Orlando and it's been so cool for mid-September. Compared to last year, anyway. I have been planting out in waves, in the afternoon-shaded area, planning to move the containers *grow bags) to full sun when it cools off. First wave has been mostly paste varieties - Dwarf Red Heart, Dwarf Pink Passion, San Marzano Lungo, Ten Fingers of Naples (gifted seeds) and Marzano Fire, which I ordered later in the game, when they catch up. Hoping to have enough to can some sauce. For regular eating, I have replanted Peachy Keen and Bundaberg Rumball, two I liked last winter, and I'm planning a later wave of various micros for the garden barrel, inspired by Curtis's picture at Renaissance Farms.

I also splurged on a variety of pepper seeds from Bunny Hop Seeds this year, and have a bunch going. Hoping to get some of those planted out this weekend as well, as they are getting tall and crowded under my small grow light setup. Everything from a large Italian horn shaped pepper to a hopefully disease resistant bell, to small hot tabasco types. The one I'm hopeful will hit a nice happy medium for us is Waialua https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... t/waialua/, a Hawaiian-developed cross between a Keystone Bell and a Malaysian hot pepper.

I've gotten some bigger grow bags this year, and also hope to get some Tom Thumb Peas in around some of the tomatoes, as well as some Greek columnar basil, which I'm having better success with than the sweet types. When temps really get cooler, I'll try the aspabroc.

I know most of you from another site; decided to use a fresh username over here but I post as KilroysCarnival elsewhere. Marsha, long time no virtual see! Was lucky enough to meet you maybe seven years ago at a tomato gathering near Plant City.

Best,

Ann

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:20 pm

DirtTherapy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 am Hi! Just finally got my membership over here sorted out.

Are we thinking this week's milder weather is too good to be true - too good to last at least? I'm in Orlando and it's been so cool for mid-September. Compared to last year, anyway. I have been planting out in waves, in the afternoon-shaded area, planning to move the containers *grow bags) to full sun when it cools off. First wave has been mostly paste varieties - Dwarf Red Heart, Dwarf Pink Passion, San Marzano Lungo, Ten Fingers of Naples (gifted seeds) and Marzano Fire, which I ordered later in the game, when they catch up. Hoping to have enough to can some sauce. For regular eating, I have replanted Peachy Keen and Bundaberg Rumball, two I liked last winter, and I'm planning a later wave of various micros for the garden barrel, inspired by Curtis's picture at Renaissance Farms.

I also splurged on a variety of pepper seeds from Bunny Hop Seeds this year, and have a bunch going. Hoping to get some of those planted out this weekend as well, as they are getting tall and crowded under my small grow light setup. Everything from a large Italian horn shaped pepper to a hopefully disease resistant bell, to small hot tabasco types. The one I'm hopeful will hit a nice happy medium for us is Waialua https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... t/waialua/, a Hawaiian-developed cross between a Keystone Bell and a Malaysian hot pepper.

I've gotten some bigger grow bags this year, and also hope to get some Tom Thumb Peas in around some of the tomatoes, as well as some Greek columnar basil, which I'm having better success with than the sweet types. When temps really get cooler, I'll try the aspabroc.

I know most of you from another site; decided to use a fresh username over here but I post as KilroysCarnival elsewhere. Marsha, long time no virtual see! Was lucky enough to meet you maybe seven years ago at a tomato gathering near Plant City.

Best,

Ann
Of course I remember you Ann! How are you? So nice to seed you posting. Jealous of your cooler weather, ours is gone! I thought you sounded like someone who knew a little something!
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:18 am

Mountain Magic. I have another plant in a grow bag that has the fuller trusses.
DSC_1383.JPG
Bella Rosa - Seems to be really good for % of flowers setting fruit.
DSC_1382.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:25 am

Marvelous!
Barb, my Castle Dome broccoli are about transplant sized. How close together can I place them?
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:35 am

Ginger2778 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:25 am Marvelous!
Barb, my Castle Dome broccoli are about transplant sized. How close together can I place them?
I copied Larry's method and was 11" apart - I had the weed barrier that has the striped lines on it. He ended up planting them even closer - I think 9". Prior to Larry, I planted them far apart, but liked the closer better.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:17 am

Barb_FL wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:35 am
Ginger2778 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:25 am Marvelous!
I copied Larry's method and was 11" apart - I had the weed barrier that has the striped lines on it. He ended up planting them even closer - I think 9". Prior to Larry, I planted them far apart, but liked the closer better.
That's great because I have 25 little plants! Those seeds - every one germinates! Many thanks! Love the nitrogen dose when head is starting tip, thank you!
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:29 pm

DSC_1397.JPG
First ripe fruit of the season. A record early. Last year it was Oct 23 (that was a record early for me too), this year Oct 15 - the day that use to be the mark of weather changing. haha.

Caterpillars are really bad this year (and this early). I've lost at least 5 big unripe tomatoes already.

I found a tomato hornworm yesterday about 3.5" long but the caterpillars I'm seeing now are the ones that wrap themselves in the leaves.

They haven't spared young seedlings either.

Sometimes, I see other green ones when I see what looks like sunburn in the leaves.

I' put off spraying BT for a few years but I'm going to spray tonight. Hopefully, my BT is still viable.

Marsha - Can you combine anything with BT? The hydro store gave me a sample of Trifecta Crop Control that treats the usual including russet mites. They have a maintenance dosage.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Barb, I dont know much about the Trifecta Crop Control , but I do routinely mix my BT with my very dilute copper fungicide, and no problems. I'm going to go look that stuff up.
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:49 pm

I don't need fungicide so will probably just go with BT and hopefully it is still viable. It was Dipel in powder form - just checked my Amazon order history and it is 5 years old. Its been in the A?C house the entire time.

ETA - I just googled it, and Dipel has a 3 year shelf life. Crap.

I just watched a youtube video and the guy showed using Cornmeal - he did BT too.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:04 pm

That Trifecta seems good, but not that cost effective. Wetable sulfur, very cheap, organic, kills russet mites. Has some precautions, especially spraying after an oil based spray. Probably does nothing for caterpillars. I would try the dipel anyways even if old.
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Trifecta is expensive because it's intended for the weed growers. - it said only 1/2 oz per gallon for weekly maintenance and 2 oz for an infestation.
$35 for 4 oz on Arbico Organics - I don't buy these items from Amazon (had too many without the sealed top) but same price.
Here are the ingredients:
14.0%..........Thyme Oil
10.0%..........Clove Oil
9.0%............Garlic Oil
4.0%............Peppermint Oil
3.0%............Corn Oil
3.0%............Geraniol
2.0%............Citric Acid
2.0%............Rosemary Oil

Inert Ingredients: 53% Filtered Water, Soap, 2-Propanol, Vinegar

---
I will look at construct something similar with essential oils.

Last year I used Green Cleaner and it's about $22 for 4 oz. Here's it's ingredients:

Soybean oil (8001-22-7)……………..…….39%
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (68585-47-7)….19%
Inert Ingredients……………………………….42%
(Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid)

I DIY and it was REALLY cheap (IIRC $.10 a gallon) and easy to make with only 3 ingredients plus water. I skipped the Citrate and Citric Acid.

Have you actually tried the Wetable Sulfur?

-----
Too bad I was so freaked out re: Avid / Abamectin.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:02 pm

I don't use abamectin anymore. They also say pyrethrin or permethrin (same but synthetic, made in lab) gets rid of mites. That's only 1 Tablespoon per gallon. Those are made from a substance in chrysanthemums. Pretty safe I think.
No, I havent tried the wettable sulfur yet. I do have it here though.
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:20 pm

These miticides are going mainstream: FoxFarm has one https://foxfarm.com/product/force-of-nature-miticide

apply 3-4 weeks: (now we're talking).

Ingredients are: 40% Cottonseed Oil, 20% Clove Oil, 10% Garlic Oil, 30% Other Ingredients (Sodium Bicarbonate, Oleic Acid, Lauric Acid, Water), Total 100%

----
What made you give up on abamectin? I thought you were such a fan.

At worst case, the pyrethrin / permethrin will certainly be a knockdown - I tried pyganics too, I think it was just a higher concentration.

What we know from experience, is these RM travel upward, so all we have to concentrate on is the lower part of the plant EARLY in the cycle, then they should never reach the higher branches.

I think if we were diligent even Neem Oil would work by smothering them, the eggs hatch, smother them before they turn to adults. I hate the way the neem oil makes my sprayer clog though.

I will see what I can find that was negative on the Wettable sulfur.

Natural
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:56 pm

I did some research on sulfur early this year. The consensus was that it is a good solution with 2 caveats. Do not apply in temps above 80 (though some said it's okay up to 85) and do not apply in conjunction with an oil (no oils within 7 to 10 days). The reaction can cause severe damage to foliage.

I have a friend that grows tomatoes commercially and he uses it all of the time outdoors. I did not try it as it was too hot in my greenhouse by tehat time of year.

Bill

Return to “General Discussion”