Floridians-out in the garden

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Barb_FL
Reactions:

Re: Floridians-out in the garden

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm

DSC_1326.JPG
Look what was visiting last night:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Hope he is eating bad bugs. :)

Where do you purchase those white square pots —they look very sturdy. The place I bought from for years went out of business a while back so I just get some cheapies off of Amazon once in a while. They work fine when you give plant away but I like sturdy ones as well to reuse.
Square fits better in my trays.

Marsha, where did you get the outdoor marker pen you gave me? I found one of your labels and it is still totally legible which is remarkable in this heat and rain.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:06 pm

I got them from Second Sun Hydroponics - I don't know if they are in business anymore.
My first set 4.5 " square were injection molded and I've had for 5 years already. These in the picture are a couple of years old.

They make a huge difference in Florida. I just put my seeds/seedlings in them and on my pool deck and they don't heat up.

I was looking for white squares recently and there are no 4.5" to be found.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:12 pm

I think I need 3 and 1/4 inch to fit my trays.
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:18 pm

MsCowpea wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:22 pm Dixondale Onions

https://www.dixondalefarms.com/

The site is finally open so that you can purchase onions again. I have check backed numerous time but this time have been able to order.

First delivery date is Nov 9 2020.
And then there are other dates to select.

I have some spindly seedlings growing as well but like Dixondale if I can get them before they all sell out.
Done! I ordered 3 bunches, that ought to hold me!
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:51 pm

MsCowpea wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:12 pm I think I need 3 and 1/4 inch to fit my trays.
There are some 3" ones at Amazon. These are priced really well.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:27 pm

[media][/media]
MsCowpea wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:46 pm Hope he is eating bad bugs. :)

Where do you purchase those white square pots —they look very sturdy. The place I bought from for years went out of business a while back so I just get some cheapies off of Amazon once in a while. They work fine when you give plant away but I like sturdy ones as well to reuse.
Square fits better in my trays.

Marsha, where did you get the outdoor marker pen you gave me? I found one of your labels and it is still totally legible which is remarkable in this heat and rain.
They amazed me. I get them by the dozen. Heres Amazon with free shipping.
- Marsha

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:58 am

Barb, just saw that you asked about growing Polish. That’s one I have grown off and on for 20 years - I like it but have too many other varieties to try.

I agree with you 100% that that Walmart Pro-mix could use some more perlite.

I also have many, many packs of old seeds that I would like to re-grow but they are mostly 15 years old. So far I tried just one and it never germinated. I tried soaking in bleach like they mention here for old, poorly stored seeds but no luck. The usual soaking liquid recommended over the years is just a pinch of fertilizer but they don’t use that.

https://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/seed_germ.aspx

TGRC also use a small plastic box with lid which I am going to try as I hate paper towel in baggie method.
Poster Svalli uses containers with some foam underneath and got some 7 years old to sprout with no bleach soak. Mine may just be too old
though Craig L. once wrote he got 14 year olds seeds to sprout readily. It is not critical that I get these tomato seeds to sprout but thought I would try
as long as it is not the baggie method.

Different subject:
Barb did you ever try using the Mega Crop as a substitute for the calcium nitrate (snack) in EB? Maybe just a tsp down tube and not mix it with water before hand??? I have mega crop and a few other conventional supplements. Also have some that are 100% organic as well.
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:58 am
Different subject:
Barb did you ever try using the Mega Crop as a substitute for the calcium nitrate (snack) in EB? Maybe just a tsp down tube and not mix it with water before hand??? I have mega crop and a few other conventional supplements. Also have some that are 100% organic as well.
I used mega crop as a total fertilizer replacement replacing Texas Tomato Food, or the (4-18-36 with calcium nitrate / epsom salts). I just used their measuring scoop down the tube and added water. I'm still a believer. When I emptied my Earthboxes in the summer, a few boxes had a coating on the bottom; was simple to remove but thought it was Megacrop residue.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 am

[mention]Ginger2778[/mention] , where did you find Jalamundo pepper seed? That is my favorite jalapeño and the seeds I got this year had zero germination. I had been getting them from the Chile Pepper Institute out of New Mexico but went with another seed vendor this year.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:22 am

Barb, you mean that is all you used once a week with no strip or do you use a strip Inside too. Sounds like it dissolved really well in the reservoir.
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am

pondgardner wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:50 am @Ginger2778 , where did you find Jalamundo pepper seed? That is my favorite jalapeño and the seeds I got this year had zero germination. I had been getting them from the Chile Pepper Institute out of New Mexico but went with another seed vendor this year.
I got them at Botanical Interests seeds online. 10 for 10 germination, in about 5 days.
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:18 am

Elaine, I didn't do any ferts trips last year; I did mix some organic fertilizer in the potting mix; I didn't add any dolomite to any of the boxes; but I never add it anyway unless totally fresh mix which a lot was because I bought so many more EBs.

But I was doing the Mega Crop a lot more than once a week. Probably 4-5 times. My plants were huge and needed the reservoir filled up daily.

Other than experimental purposes, I'm done with the fert strip. I saw no downside without it. I started omitting it years ago with cucumbers / peppers / some tomatoes. I might do one with the original EB 7-7-7 that I have on hand.

----
BTW - My Magic Mountain plants are HUGE. I think I'm going to transplant into an EB later. I hate doing that in case of a hurricane. I remember Hurricane Mathew one year October and having to bring the Earthboxes into the house.

I sowed everything on the hot pool deck, would bring them under the porch at night or when a torrential rain was coming. I left them all out in the wind the entire time. When I transplanted from the cell to the 4" square, I would do it in the afternoon and leave it under cover for the remainder of the day.

I sowed some old seeds early, along with some cherry tomato seeds to bring in the bees. But the Magic Mountain and another new one called Ruby Crush (a cherry determinate) really took off. They already have the pre-buds forming. Hopefully, they will bring in the bees.

------
removed comment re: that reported really old seeds germinating.

I saw a huge difference with fast germination on 2020 seeds vs 2017 and before. First I was thinking it was the heat, and the seed getting lost in the mix, but all the newer ones in the same setup germinated.
Last edited by Barb_FL on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:28 am

Ha ha, I saw that same video. Then he does others that show planting out and eventual taste testing.
Carl Huffaker

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:58 pm

That video made the rounds at Tomatoville a few years back, and they debunked it.
- Marsha

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:53 pm

Ginger2778 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:58 pm That video made the rounds at Tomatoville a few years back, and they debunked it.
I didn't know that. Hopefully, I can delete it. Thanks. That guy seems so sincere.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Barb, sorry to keep bugging you :lol: But how much organic fertilizer did you mix in EB. Which one did you use?
Then it sounds like maybe every other day with mega crop might work. You were happy with production—Did you like the flavor too? Or didn’t notice anything one way or another. I found with flavor it is better to have at least 2 different methods and taste blindfolded.

Do you think you will supplement the Hyrbrix with mega crop or something else. Or no supplementation? I bought several fertilizers that were marketed as tomato fertilizer but not sure how I will handle the supplementation part. Some boxes will be all organic, others a combo.
Carl Huffaker

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Elaine, no problem. I used 3 cups of organic fertz; mostly tomato tone; which I didn't purchase for this season; (plus it got really expensive when I was use to getting it cheap). I got negative on chicken manure because thinking of where the source must be - and those chickens getting antibiotics, etc.

I want to try Hybrix in the EB alone just because I think it will be so easy; but if I see plants are lacking, then I will amend then and probably MegaCrop. BTW - Hybrix has an organic fertz too and free shipping from AMLeonard right now. I think I have plenty of fertz on hand but if you are looking for strictly organic, the price can't be beat.

For new organic fertilizer, my goal was to stay away from chicken manure at least where it is the first ingredient. I bought Fox Farm Marine Cuisine,
Stonington Blend Organic Plant Food, Sustaine (I think this has CM, but not the first ingredient-plus I already had it), Fox Farm Organic Tomato / and general purpose - only 4 lbs of each so that won't go too far. I also had Tomato Maker on hand which is organic and not stinky.

Plus Dave the Tomato Man is negative on dry ingredients.

I didn't notice any taste difference regardless what I used.

BTW - depending on when you are going to start, you might want to sow your Better Boy seeds now. I sowed on 8/28 and only 2 of 5 have popped through so far. Seeds from Marsha popped through in a couple of days.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks Barb for additional information. I have plenty of organic fertilizers. I also have a small box of Tomato Hyrbrix. Bought it along with
other fertilizer labeled specifically for tomatoes. It would seem that one might not need supplementation but as you said you will have to evaluate as you go. I much prefer EB original premise
of setting it up and do nothing but water. I compared their 7-7-7 against their organic fertilizer with no supplementation . Organic fertilizer tomatoes tasted much better. (Blind taste test with 4 people.)

That video made the rounds at Tomatoville a few years back, and they debunked it.
Edited: His videos are very annoying with some misinformation but will leave it at that to avoid rehashing. ( The seeds seem genuinely old (to me) and he bought the newer constructed shadow box that displayed the seeds from someone else. If true, getting one seed to sprout from a very old variety that no longer exists is admirable. And his business is selling seeds so lots of drama and hype goes with the promotion.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:49 pm

I need to replenish my transplant trays and went to a big nursery supply place today that used to carry them and they are out and not planning on reordering. I want really heavy duty trays as I also use them to harvest greens, tomatoes etc.

I have searched the internet for hours and can only find the usual nursery flats.

Marsha, I looked at restaurant supply bread/ flatware trays as well which I think you use and you like them a lot.
Are they still available? Where did you find them?

I used to have maybe 20 or more of my black trays. I found them in the trash outside a nursery and they have lasted over 10 years.
My supply has dwindled down from loaning them out and not getting them back. I have the trays that hold individual pots but I don’t like them
much.

Can’t get these anymore: They were good for transplants and harvesting. Need a substitution. Thanks.
4B75F502-1FE6-4391-B2AB-B4DDE03CCCDA.jpeg
CCCAE7C9-9D95-47D3-9A98-2DB49097FBBB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Huffaker

Return to “General Discussion”