Perennial bed shrub suggestions

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
mikestuff49
Reactions:

Perennial bed shrub suggestions

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:26 pm

I have a bed at the front of the house near the road where I had planted knock out roses. They were pretty for 5 years or so and then they weren't. Probably because I had to trim them back each year. I am looking for suggestions. Dwarf Barberry is interesting. i am looking (because I am the definition of lazy) for something that is attractive, but relatively carefree. I am in zone 6b and would prefer something that is attractive throughout the year. Not much to ask, huh?

Thanks in advance.
The best things in life---are not things.

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: Perennial bed shrub suggestions

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:45 pm

There are some lovely Hydrangeas available in various heights and colours (whites and pinks). I always go for the Pee Gee's because they are super hardy.

For something smaller, there are also some very attractive Spirea. Their leaves can be beautiful in the spring, then they flower. Be careful though that the flowers don't clash with the leaves. After flowering, it's pretty easy to shear them into a round shape.

Perhaps you could toss in a few perennials as well. I love Rudbeckia Goldsturm, which looks gorgeous at this time of year.

Linda

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Yuccas?

bower
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Potentilla fruticosa - have a really long blooming period and seem to be bulletproof.
I have a yellow flowered one which is more upright than the others and blooms more too. I have a white flowered and a pink flowered which desperately need to be pruned - probably should be pruned every year. Since I'm the definition of lazy, they're not doing much with these long tangled branches which are crumped down by the snow every winter.
Rugosa roses are really easy, it seems. The old fashioned types also bloom a surprisingly long time. My Blanc double de Coubert has just put on another big flush of blooms in september. The old fashioned pink or white roses are classic "down by the road shrub" around here. Many are about 5 ft tall, just free standing hedge. Then again some roses have pretty hips, so you get some red or orange winter action as well.

Actually, I just googled and looked at the dwarf barberry - they are really pretty, cute and small! :) IDK if they are low maintenance or whether you have to prune them to the sweet shape they show on my google. Very nice either way!

In the perennials, I really love my Geranium sanguineum. They bloom all season long. But of course they die back entirely in winter. What is really cool though, is that the spring growth makes a perfectly rounded mound, and continues to hold that shape until after they start to flower. They fill in and become less defined as the season goes on, but it is sweet to have that ornamental shape in the early season, looking as if some non lazy person had groomed it. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am

Wormwood is easy to grow and looks and smells nice for most of the year (but it loses aesthetic appeal for a couple months; you can prune back the dead parts in the spring). Note that it does prevent other stuff from growing in the soil. It gradually spreads, and keeps spreading, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:27 am

I can think of a few more choices for you. Weigelia blooms in pink in mid-summer. There are several varieties that stay quite low. Boxwood is a more formal choice and does need pruning to maintain its shape. Dwarf Korean Lilac. Purple leaf Sandcherry and then there are also Junipers which are evergreens.
~ Patti ~

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Looks like I have a lot of research to do!

Reelcharacter
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:42 pm

My first suggestion is to look at the setting where you want to plant. Picture the ideal proportions for the plants in that setting. If you plant something that spreads to a 5' width and it is planted in a 4' wide bed, the planting will look overgrown (unless you widen the bed or prune to keep size in proportion to the setting. I refer to this as the "Tupperware Rule" of planning out a planting. Tupperware comes in all shapes and sizes, what are the mature shape/s and size plants that will best fit the setting?

Then, what do you want from the planting? You indicated attractive throughout the year. Plant traits include Form, Flower, Fruit and Fall Color. Many plants have one or two strong traits, but look boring the rest of the year (when not in flower for example). One good previous suggestion was accenting with Perennials (or Annuals) for additional color. An Architectural Element could be added to look interesting all year. A space provided for Seasonal Displays like Garden Flag for the Seasons, etc.

As far as plants go, Dwarf or Pigmy Purple Barberry can look good all year, with a tight compact form through the Winter. It may take a while to attain a full size to look good in the planting. Use Flowers in the spaces, then relocate as the Barberry increase in size. (I am not a real fan, as I have dealt with too many nasty Barberry thorns when pruning and mulching. The right variety of Blueberries could be attractive (with the right soil type), adding Fruit and Fall Color to the planting. I am a fan of Variegated Dogwood for attractive green and white variegated foliage then red twigs all Winter.

Not knowing the size space, decide if you want plants of the same type to grow together into a mass or grow as seperate individual plants. This helps determine variety and spacing. If planting different plants, avoid placing plants with the same "Tupperware size" beside ea other. Two different plant varieties that grow into each other make a planting look poorly maintained or require regular pruning. Integrate different vertical heights of plants if space allows to create more visual interest in the planting.

Anyways, enough rambling on ... good luck and best wishes on your project.. By The Way - Fall is an ideal time to to be planting ...
Central NY - zone 5a

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:05 am

[mention]Reelcharacter[/mention]

Thanks for your suggestions.

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:48 am

I saw this variety of Beauty Berry at Lowes Home Improvement Yesterday. it was very attractive with a dark plum colored leaf.

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/ca ... llicarpa-x

This is a nice dwarf butterfly bush. They are great for attracting beautiful butterfly and add even more interest to a perennial bed.

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/bu ... buddleia-x

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:43 am

[mention]friedgreen51[/mention]

I believe the Beauty Berry would be too tall for my application, but the butterfly bush looks very interesting.

Return to “General Discussion”