Epigenetics Passed to Progeny!?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Rockoe10
Reactions:

Epigenetics Passed to Progeny!?

Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:30 pm

https://scitechdaily.com/researchers-su ... rootstock/

Interesting read. The epigenetically modified gene of the Rootstock was passed on to the Scion progeny. How could that be possible?
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

bower
Reactions:

Re: Epigenetics Passed to Progeny!?

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:54 am

Cool.... there's always more to learn about genetics.
It makes perfect sense to me that, for example, a tomato plant that had activated its cold tolerance genetics in a given season, would pass on those epigenetic settings to its progeny as a default.
This would explain why we see adaptation of varieties to specific environments, so that your saved seed is pre-adapted and does better than the parent seeds.
Of course those observations are anecdotal... a real test would be to grow parent and offspring seeds side by side and at least 30 plants each. Giant plantation anyone? ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Epigenetics Passed to Progeny!?

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:15 am

Obviously these Rootstocks had a gene 'Turned On', but the result could potentially occur naturally too. Which I find very cool.

Theoretically, you could have a very dry season in which your produce was limited. However, if you've saved seeds from that crop, you potentially have a seed that grows into a hyper active plant and produce significantly better than its parents. In addition, this study shows that it's not just the following year, but 5 years after the initial drought season!

I guess I should look back and see if any of these old seeds I have came from a harsh year. 😆

PS
My mad scientist thoughts are stirring.
Taking cuttings from a plant that has its 'Stress Memory' activated, its possible to use it was a Rootstock for your other plant varieties and induce the same affect. At least, that's what I'm gathering from this study.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Return to “General Discussion”