Particular Vegetables or Tomatoes You Are Extra Excited to Grow in 2021

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Re: Particular Vegetables or Tomatoes You Are Extra Excited to Grow in 2021

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:46 pm

LindyAdele wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:17 pm I have a radish addiction. Last summer I discovered I loved them ( they were the only things the racoons/rabbits didn't touch). I eat them every morning for breakfast with a little butter and salt! So this year I'm growing 5 varieties of radish.
Lindy,

I enjoy radishes too. I have tried many over the years. Two favorites are Champion F1 and rat tail radish—grown for tasty seed pods instead of roots.

LindyAdele
Reactions:

Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:50 pm

[mention]jmsieglaff[/mention] I have never tried the seed pods of radishes! I'm going to let some of my cherry belles go to seed this year just to see what happens. How long does it take seed pods to form?
I'm trying a few asian varieties this year, a few different colours, watermelon (or red meat) varieties, but I've loved french breakfast and olongopogo or something like that.
LINDY

zone 5
short season, with hot summers, Ontario Canada
Enchanted by colourful vegetables that can be grown in her city backyard, world cuisine, forests and firelight.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:06 pm

[mention]LindyAdele[/mention] I’ve let regular radishes bolt and enjoyed the seed pods too. They take a bit longer to bolt and flower since they have been bred to form a nice root and not bolt whereas the rat tails were selected to bolt and make lots of pods. IIRC maybe 3 weeks from starting to bolt to eating pods.

JenniferBella
Reactions:

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:40 pm

goodloe wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:26 am I love your attitude, @JenniferBella !! I'll be growing Rebel Starfighter Prime in 2021, also Marsha's variant, which is named "Marsha's Starfighter Beefsteak", I believe...Merry Christmas!!
When they fruit, I hope you show them side by side for me!

Gardadore
Reactions:

Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:55 am

A lot of new tomato varieties listed in another thread. Hoping all the Karen Varieties will produce the way they should have. They did not like our weather last summer.

Vegetables:
Several new Asian Greens. Sweet potatoes. Only grew them once and looking forward to them again.
Monte Gusto Pole Beans. African Nunan Basil. Kamo Eggplant. Sugar Magnolia Peas. Sugar Lode Snap Peas. Some new red lettuces.
Agate Soybeans. Cavili Squash(parthenocarpic)

Labradors
Reactions:

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 am

I'm excited to grow two, or maybe three orange tomato varieties with high cis-lycopene: Olga's Yellow Chicken Egg, Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart and (maybe) Orange Crimea.

In the non-tomato category, I'm looking forward to trying Culantro, a stronger version of Cilantro.

Linda

Salaam
Reactions:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:48 pm

I'm hoping to grow winter squash and cantelope for the first time, IF the free piece of land I'm supposed to get materializes. My home garden is quite large - four 4x23ft beds, but I don't want to plant these space eaters there.

I'm going t try eggplant (ping tung) after a few years of not growing any. I never had much success with it even in containers. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Zone 5A

Gardadore
Reactions:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Eggplants are heavy feeders. I have always found them challenging in the ground. Last summer was my best one ever because I finally followed the directions on the Earthboxes and added the recommended amount of Dolomitic Lime and fertilizer. The Lime made all the difference. I also used it in regular containers and the ground. Always use worm castings as well for fertilizer. Also spray or cover them to avoid the flea beetles or at least keep them in check. I don't seem to be able to eliminate them 100% but at least they don't completely decimate the plants.Ping Tung is one of my favorite varieties. Feed regularly!

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 pm

I get large amounts of eggplants every season, growing 2 in each of 3 SIPs, slightly higher in size than EBs. I start early on spraying them with Surround, making sure to get the undersides, to prevent those flea beetles, which are the only pests I have major problems with, on the eggplants. It works well, to keep them off.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

mama_lor
Reactions:

Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:35 am

This year, I have more new eggplant varieties than I can plant, even if I plant one of each.
I also have a few new peppers. It's hard to find good OP peppers. Year after year plenty of disappointing new tries, their vigor lacks, most often the skins are tough at any stage (major turnoff).

In terms of tomatoes however, I reached a sort of saturation point, I'm only trying a couple per year, since the mainstays are just too tough to beat. And am concentrating more of ways to improve the taste, especially taste consistency during the season.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:02 am

Pepperhead, I tried Surround last summer for the first time and it did indeed help. I have a bag that has been sitting around for years. Rather messy but it works!

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:11 pm

I can't call it extra excited, but I hopefully will be trialing several new, to me, things; olive leaf arugula, lupini beans, cardoon, root chicory, rampion, sculpit, etc...

What have I done???

Return to “General Discussion”