New variety you are growing for 2021? And second attempts?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: New variety you are growing for 2021? And second attempts?

Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 am

That analysis seems sound. However, my experience last summer, with abnormally high and dry weather, showed the opposite.

It's very likely there are more than one variety going by the name Money Maker. This one, which I purchased from MIGardener in 2018 is best described by the above quote.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:27 pm

The description of Moneymaker at MI Gardener seems about right to me, except that I don't remember them getting very tall. I always grew them in tomato cages.....

I gave up growing them when I realized that there were better tasting varieties!

Linda

fluffy_gumbo
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:36 pm

I got very limited space so I usually only have room for 2-3 new varieties each year and that will probably dwindles as I find varieties that are good producers. I'm trying the popular Big Beef this year, along with San Marzano, and a purple hirsutum that was an extra gift from Remy when I ordered from her. It's my tribute to her this year <3

My third attempt is actually not any tomatoes but cucumbers!
Learn, adapt, grow! - Zone 9B
Blog: https://thebigeasygarden.wordpress.com/

steve ok
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:13 pm

New for 2021

Pale Perfect Purple
Stump of the World
Indian Stripe PL
Spudakee
Girl Girl's Wierd Thing
Polaris
Black from Tula
Big Beef
Chef's Choice Black
Red Lithium
Sibirsky Velikan Rozovyl
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Pervaya Lyubov
Start F1
Momotaro
Dwarf Pink Passion
Tasmanian Chocolate
Dwarf Wild Spudleaf
Rosella Crimson
Coastal Pride Orange
Brandy Fred
Boronia
Tennessee Suited
Sweet Sue

Giving a second chance - New Big Dwarf

Last years favorites (if I can find room) Pink Berkely Tie Dye, Rosella Purple

indysun
Reactions:

Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:10 am

I grow New Big Dwarf every year - great producer, great taste. Along with the last 6 on your list - same comments!!

arnorrian
Reactions:

Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:18 am

Blue Beauty, Sweet Aperitif, and Lucky Tiger are new this year.
Climate: Cfa
USDA hardiness zone: 7a
Elevation: 140 m

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:42 pm

I ordered these three from Curtis:
-Honey Drop: possibly another good Sungold alternative
-Gigant Farina: ribbed shaped 2+ pounder
-Texwine: Apparently one of Curtis favorite

slugworth
Reactions:

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:33 pm

Big brandy 2nd attempt.
A rescue plant I bought today with a 9.5oz tomato already on it.
Way early for a tomato that size in this growing area.
The stem 1/2 way up was split in 2,so I picked the red tomato and a green one.
I performed surgery and cloned the remaining top and planted the bottom in a bigger container.
As with my other "heirloom marriage" series of plants,this one is also RL.
I did buy a brandy man plant that was PL,probably just a mis-labeled brandywine.
100_0693.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:19 pm

maxjohnson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:42 pm I ordered these three from Curtis:
-Honey Drop: possibly another good Sungold alternative
-Gigant Farina: ribbed shaped 2+ pounder
-Texwine: Apparently one of Curtis favorite
I also got Honey Drop from Curtis and grew it this year. Very nice little cherry!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:02 am

Here are the new ones I'm officially growing for the first time, this year (not counting unstable tomatoes):

* Aunt Ginny's Purple (Because Tormato likes it.)
* Church (Because it's big.)
* Costoluto Florentino (Because I wanted to grow more of the seeds that Tormato gave me, and this looked like a good candidate.)
* Dinner Plate (It seemed like a good one to go along with Church.)
* Matt's Hornet (Sounded like it might be prolific, tasty, sweet, and hardy.)
* Orange Jazz (Because it's related to Amana Orange.)
* Purple Russian (Because I need to grow more seeds from my friend who gave it to me, and I want to taste a purple paste.)
* Terhune (Because it's sometimes brought up in giant tomato threads.)

I'm growing these F2 hybrids for the first time (wherein I haven't grown the F1):
* SunCitron F2
* SunDolce F2
* SunGarnet F2
* SunLemon F2
* SunPeach F2

And SunChocola F3 (I grew the F2, but not the F1.)

Here are the stable ones I'm growing for the second time:
* Black Bear (It was vigorous and prolific at the end of the season, with big fruit.)
* Black Beauty (I grew a crossed version of it, one year, and the regular version the first; so, I'm trying a new source. It was very prolific the first year, and tasty, with big fruit.)
* Black Cherry (Great refreshing sweet taste; large cherry.)
* Chocolate Chestnut (It tasted like brown sugar.)
* Cold Black Brandy (Because I think it's very tasty.)
* Cosmic Eclipse (Didn't get a fair shot last year.)
* Egg Yolk (It could climb; decent-sized cherry.)
* Frittata Kitchen (It's very tasty, cooked. It's a sport--not a cross; in theory, it should be stable. We'll see.)
* Isis Candy (I liked it. Prolific, early, and a good size for a cherry--almost a salad tomato.)
* Japanese Black Trifele (I liked it; fairly prolific, with big fruits.)
* Mexican Yellow (I tried growing it a second time in 2017, but it was a cross. Great variety.)
* Purple Calabash (it seems to have volunteered)
* Sprite (A relative wanted me to plant it again for the flower garden, but I did enjoy it in 2020. Very sweet.)
* Stick (I'm trying to get it to cross-pollinate lots of stuff, and to be crossed with other stuff--in order to get more varieties with pompom foliage.)

With Girl Girl's Weird Thing, I grew it in 2016, but it didn't seem true-to-type (I could be wrong). That volunteered one here. I'm trying it from a new source this year, but that one doesn't have stripes. So, perhaps I have yet to try the true variety once.

The rest I've either grown more often than that, or they're tomatoes I'm breeding or something--or in one case, I don't know if it's a stable variety, but it's not the true variety.

I'm growing a lot of volunteers, too.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

LK2020
Reactions:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:35 pm

I had great plans for new varieties this year, tons of seeds, but ... between work, the pandemic, health issues, family health issues, dogs, friends, etc., for the first year in a while, no seed starting for tomatoes (or peppers or eggplants). No time or energy. Last year I started everything I grew pretty much from seed. Oh, well. I also cut back on the number of plants.

Anyway, my choices came down to what I could find at local gardening centers, which resulted in some familiar choices, but also a number of new-to-me tomatoes:

Large Red Cherry
Midnight Snack (Cherry)
Orange Paruche (Cherry)
Grape
Cherokee Carbon
Purple Russian
Cherokee Green
Prudens Purple
Amana Orange
Box Car Willie

I'm giving Pink Berkeley Tie Dye a fourth chance - the 1st year, it was productive and delicious but died early. The 2nd year it was in a too-small container and only produced 1 or 2 tomatoes. Last year, it died within weeks of going in the ground. Hoping the 4th try is the charm.

The Black Cherry plant I bought looks like it might also be Midnight Snack because it's growing green tomatoes that look like someone spilled black/purple paint on them, which is what the Midnight Snack plant is doing. I've grown Black Cherry for many years, and I don't remember it ever looking like that! Also, the stem and leaves have a purple/black tint, which the Midnight Snack plant also has and Black Cherry does not.

I also have a volunteer or two, that might be my Rosella cherry from last year, which was great while it lasted but it died early. So that would be a nice second chance.

Trying not to be too sad about all the varieties I was looking forward to trying this year, and focus on these new ones. These are all tomatoes I wanted to try one day anyway.

I will miss my stars from last year though, especially Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Carbon, Lillian's Yellow Heirloom, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, Tasty Evergreen, EM Champion, Dwarf Mr. Snow, Midnight Sun, Rosella Purple, Summer Sunrise, and a mutant Cherokee Purple plant that grew delicious pink tomatoes!

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:57 am

Shule wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:02 am Here are the new ones I'm officially growing for the first time, this year (not counting unstable tomatoes):

* Aunt Ginny's Purple (Because Tormato likes it.)
* Church (Because it's big.)
* Costoluto Florentino (Because I wanted to grow more of the seeds that Tormato gave me, and this looked like a good candidate.)
* Dinner Plate (It seemed like a good one to go along with Church.)
* Matt's Hornet (Sounded like it might be prolific, tasty, sweet, and hardy.)
* Orange Jazz (Because it's related to Amana Orange.)
* Purple Russian (Because I need to grow more seeds from my friend who gave it to me, and I want to taste a purple paste.)
* Terhune (Because it's sometimes brought up in giant tomato threads.)

I'm growing these F2 hybrids for the first time (wherein I haven't grown the F1):
* SunCitron F2
* SunDolce F2
* SunGarnet F2
* SunLemon F2
* SunPeach F2

And SunChocola F3 (I grew the F2, but not the F1.)

Here are the stable ones I'm growing for the second time:
* Black Bear (It was vigorous and prolific at the end of the season, with big fruit.)
* Black Beauty (I grew a crossed version of it, one year, and the regular version the first; so, I'm trying a new source. It was very prolific the first year, and tasty, with big fruit.)
* Black Cherry (Great refreshing sweet taste; large cherry.)
* Chocolate Chestnut (It tasted like brown sugar.)
* Cold Black Brandy (Because I think it's very tasty.)
* Cosmic Eclipse (Didn't get a fair shot last year.)
* Egg Yolk (It could climb; decent-sized cherry.)
* Frittata Kitchen (It's very tasty, cooked. It's a sport--not a cross; in theory, it should be stable. We'll see.)
* Isis Candy (I liked it. Prolific, early, and a good size for a cherry--almost a salad tomato.)
* Japanese Black Trifele (I liked it; fairly prolific, with big fruits.)
* Mexican Yellow (I tried growing it a second time in 2017, but it was a cross. Great variety.)
* Purple Calabash (it seems to have volunteered)
* Sprite (A relative wanted me to plant it again for the flower garden, but I did enjoy it in 2020. Very sweet.)
* Stick (I'm trying to get it to cross-pollinate lots of stuff, and to be crossed with other stuff--in order to get more varieties with pompom foliage.)

With Girl Girl's Weird Thing, I grew it in 2016, but it didn't seem true-to-type (I could be wrong). That volunteered one here. I'm trying it from a new source this year, but that one doesn't have stripes. So, perhaps I have yet to try the true variety once.

The rest I've either grown more often than that, or they're tomatoes I'm breeding or something--or in one case, I don't know if it's a stable variety, but it's not the true variety.

I'm growing a lot of volunteers, too.
This year I grow both Sun Dolce and Sun Garnet both F1. I might keep some F2 seed for next year, but I wonder how happy you will be with those F2s.
Vladimír

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:16 am

[mention]MrBig46[/mention]
Right now, I'm very happy with SunCitron F2, and my two SunDolce F2s. I haven't had ripe fruit on any of these, yet, though. I'll have to inspect SunGarnet F2 more thoroughly.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:03 am

All of my tomato varieties are new to me. My garden is mostly containers, but I have two small raised beds that I plant a total of 13 tomatoes in.

I probably should re-grow a few from last year that I don't think were true to type. At some point, I imagine I will pick a favorite or two and grow out a bunch of the seeds to see how that works out.

Container Dwarf:

Adelaide Festival
Boronia
BrandyFred
Chocolate Champion
Lemon Ice
Rosella Purple
Sweet Scarlet Dwarf
Tasmanian Chocolate
Willa's Cariboo Rose
Wilpena
Uluru Ochre
Wherokowhai

Container Determinate:

Mac Pink
Sophie’s Choice

Indeterminates in beds/containers:

Blondkopfchen
Chocolate Cherry
Green Doctor's Frosted
Japanese Pink Cherry
Sugar Cherry

Brad's Atomic Grape
Brandywine, Sudduth
Bread & Salt
Cherokee Purple
Dester
Estler’s Mortgage Lifter
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Grightmire’s Pride
Japanese Black Trifele
JD’s Special C-Tex
KBX
Lotos
Mrs. Bots Italian Giant
Red Barn
Russian #117
Stump of the World
Teton de Venus
Thessaloniki
Tina
Violet Jasper
Yoder's German Pink

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:22 am

[mention]MrBig46[/mention]
I checked it out, and SunGarnet F2 (which has 7 fruits, so far) actually has more fruit than SunDolce F2, and on a smaller plant. What impressed me about SunDolce F2 was its vigor and unique leaves. SunCitron F2 probably has more fruit than the other F2 sun series tomatoes, though (I didn't count them, though); it has great growth vigor, and is withstanding the place I put it very well (it's too close to a blackcurrant bush, but it's handling the situation very nicely).

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:54 am

New and second attempts...

New
Moskvich - supposed to be early, but I started seed way, way too late. It was a very bad seed starting spring for me. But I think they did fruit on pretty quickly.
Helsing Junction Blues - grew it for the name, I can only assume it tastes like garlic
Wonderberry - first time I got seed to sprout and make it past my weeding. At least, one did...I think. They just don't look enough like tomato plants to me.

Second attempt
Black Krim - my only black this year. Not impressed last year with any of the blacks I grew but it was a bad spot. This year, different seed source and a better spot.
Super Sweet 100 - likely the second, possibly the third. Not real impressed last time, they don't seem that sweet. We used to buy sweet 100 plants and liked them. This supersweet100 is contraband seed from a few years ago -TSC end of year employee take home instead of dumpster toss. I have enough SS100 and Super Beefsteak seed for at least two (more) zombie apocalypses.
Costoluto Genovese. I think this is the second time, not the third. The one I remember was in the backyard behind the house and lots of afternoon house shade. It may have been a wet summer. I can still picture the CG fruit getting soft, sort of collapse-y, with white mold growing in the ribs of this tomato. Could be that they were a week past due. The first few, I thought they were really nice looking, but later I hated the ribs/mold. That is why I grow a lot of rounder tomatoes for sauce, they don't get the bad spots on the shoulders or in ribs due to rain and humidity. Same with peppers, bells didn't do well. But, I am giving CG another chance at the full sun comm garden spot, and right on the end of the row, so we'll see what they do with another go.
Black Cherry - it was so so the first time, I liked RCC better.
Pink Bumblebee (Cherry). Got these in the swap and there was a mix up or something. I grew it out here, it was okay. I gave some plants to my brother and he put some in a cherry patch and some were throwing full size tomatoes. I checked the seed bag at some point later point and it was plain to see that some of the seeds in there were indeed full size tomato seeds. The PinkBB seed I started this year was saved from my grow out, but I only started some because my brother wanted a bunch of cherry tomatoes. I actually was not planning to do any cherry tomatoes this year; have been doing sungold/sunsugar for a few years, but this year I figured I wouldn't bother. But my brother wanted some cherries, so I grew most of a flat 5 x(7 cherries plus wonderberry plus 2 rows of CG in there). I planted 1 of each, for 8 total, plus a volunteer sungsugarF2 is up. My brother never came and took the balance of the flat, and they are pretty much dead by now. Yep, not too happy about that.
But maybe some of these cherries will be better than I remember and it will have been sort of worth the trouble.
Instead of zero cherries I have a cage of Sungold twins and a row with 1 each of PinkBB, SS100, Helsing Jct Blues, Wonderberry, volunteer Sunsugar, Ron's Carbon Copy, Sunsugar, Black Cherry. And I don't feel like picking any of them...

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:20 am

[mention]JRinPA[/mention]
Wonderberries are a tomato relative, in the Solanum genus, but they're not tomatoes. I recommend direct-seeding them (overseed, if you have plenty) around the time you start your tomatoes indoors. They should sprout when it's warm enough and wet enough (and some seeds will probably stay dormant and sprout in future years like weeds do; they reseed easily, too, and you can dig them up and transplant them easily if you like). I've decided starting them indoors is less practical. The seedlings are very soft (softer than tomato plants) and easy to pull up. They're probably about as invasive as calendula. They've established themselves as a frequent weed in part of my garden (but I've grown a fair amount of them). It's nice to have weeds than can grow edible berries, though.

I like them in cooked dishes and sauces with tomatoes. They're also good, I think cooked, with ham, and raw in smoothies. They seem to go well with bananas. They add color and aesthetic appeal to vegetable salad without changing the flavor much. I wouldn't make jam with them unless you mix them with other fruit. I like them fresh, but some people don't. There's probably a limit to how many you should eat in a day, but they don't seem to be a laxative or a diuretic, fortunately, and they don't bother my teeth like blackberries do if I eat too many.

The plants look like black nightshade plants (they look like Chichiquelite and Otricoli Orange Berry plants), and are related, but they're not the same thing, whether or not they have black nightshade in their hybrid ancestry (and they taste different than C and OOB in a good way, IMO); they were bred for maybe 25 years by Luther Burbank (he's a famous plant breeder).

MrBig46
Reactions:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:34 am

For the first time, I grow about seventy new varieties for me. The most interesting are the following:
From Fred Hempel: Blush, Creamsicle Grape, Lucky Agi F1, Agi Red F1, Lucky Tiger, Green Tiger, Marzano Fire
From Karen Olivier: Karma Purple, Karma multiflora, Tajga, Tundra, Midnight Sun
From Darrel Jones: Hibor, Pienollo x LA 0417, Cherokee Jumbo, Lorelei
From Andrey: Orange 1 ten early determinant varieties
From Whwoz: Orange Grosse Liesse and three other similar
Two OP varieties, which are perhaps resistant to late mold, Mountaineer Prode and Mountauneer Deliht.
And more and more
Vladimír

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:38 pm

[mention]MrBig46[/mention] [mention]Whwoz[/mention]
Orange Grosse Lisse? Cherokee Jumbo? Cool.

Green Tiger tastes really good—one of the best-tasting I've tried. It was extremely and favorably sweet for me. I think mine needed more potassium, copper, water, and/or general fertilizer, though (the fruits wrinkled upon ripening in heat/drought conditions; same for a few other small striped tomatoes: namely, Maglia Rosa and Tigerella). Wrinkly or not, though, they were good.

Taiga's tasty.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 pm

[mention]Shule[/mention] Aussie plant breeders are an unimaginative lot when it comes to names. So we have Orange and Yellow Grosse Lisse, two tomatoes that are typical supermarket size round tomatoes, one Orange, one yellow that have been piggy backed onto the best known tomato name here, likewise we have Low Acid Yellow, one that is supposedly low on acid, again a supermarket sized tomato. From Low Acid Yellow and Orange Grosse Lisse I have kept seeds and had a dwarf grow out of that seed which I have tagged Bowerbirds Yellow or B Orange respectively. Both are mentioned in my glog.

Bowerbirds Yellow I grow every year, it gets to around the meter/yard high for me unprimed and produces very meaty fruit upto at least 8 ounces off the top of my head. I will often snack on this one if hungry when in the garden.

Bowerbirds Orange is even more compact, around 2 feet high unpruned producing meaty fruit upto 8 ounces also. In last years non-event summer, a lot of the fruit were between golf and tennis ball sized.

I have grown the BY more than the BO and know that BY is stable and are happy to share seeds around. BO I have only grown twice since selection, but growth appears to be stable as does fruit. I can share a few seeds of this also
Last edited by Whwoz on Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”