New variety you are growing for 2021? And second attempts?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
maxjohnson
Reactions:

New variety you are growing for 2021? And second attempts?

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:06 pm

I admit haven't concentrate so much on gardening lately. Busy trying to survive with the current economic situation.

With the success of growing several store bought hybrids last year and having mostly a hands off approach, I've become a lazy gardener actually. Now I don't mind buying hybrid seeds anymore.

Looking to grow Esterina F1 tomato and King Arthur F1 bellpepper for the first time.

As for retries. Haven't been able to successfully grow Rapunzel F1 to get it anywhere near what it look like in the photograph, so I give it another attempt. Opalka is another one I haven't gotten much success with, but it tasted so good.

Another thing is to save money, I won't be buying or applying any fertilizer to my existing raised beds this year, just topping off with a few bags of compost. We'll see how it goes. I will use my remaining Osmocote for my containers however. Won't be buying any organic fungicides either, I will use my remaining Thuricide. I will have to use Sluggo though, as I don't like slugs in my lettuce.

Shule
Reactions:

Re: New variety you are growing for 2021? And second attempts?

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:08 am

Here are some new tomatoes I'm thinking I'll probably grow:
Atkinson
AGP
Blush
Cherokee Carbon F1
Cherokee Chocolate
Cherokee Yellow
Church
Costoluto Florentino
Costoluto Genovese
Dinner Plate
Flaming Burst
Neves Azorean Red
Orange Jazz
Pink Bumble Bee
Purple Russian
Red Stuffer
Stump of the World
SunGold F1
Terhune
Various F2 tomatoes in the Sun series (a bunch of kinds)
Yellow Stuffer

By second attempts, do you mean ones that didn't turn out well the first time, or any we're growing for the second time?

I'm trying some again that produced last time, but I have hope they'll be more prolific. For instance Cosmic Eclipse had herbicide-like damage, but managed to live and produce with judicious and gradual pruning of the affected branches/suckers/leaves (it could do a lot better without herbicide-like damage, I believe). Chocolate Chestnut wasn't terribly prolific for me last year, but I hear it can be; so, I want to try it again (it tasted great). Black Cherry got a late start, but I want to try it again with closer to ideal conditions. I think Stick and Carbon could do better on a regrow. Egg Yolk had something strange going on with its development that made it have a late transplant, but it did fine; I want to try it again (for increased production and earlier maturity, yes, but mostly because it climbs without encouragement: I want to spread climbing genetics to other breeds). Sprite was prolific, but split a lot and was later than it was supposed to be (I want to see if that changes, but the real reason is because a relative wants it in the flower garden and likes the taste; it grew a very nice-looking plant).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:15 am

Last year I had already planned the summer's tomatoes when I got seeds from Farmer Shawn's distribution of the Caroline collection. I did a few of those but this summer I'll be doing more, especially the heart tomatoes. I've never grown any of those before.

Honigsüsser Erlöser - "Honeysweet ___?__" , orange heart
Inzhir Rosovyi -"Pink Fig" pink pear-ribbed
King Kong - large red heart
Koroleva Rynka - "Market Queen ", red round
Süsse Friesin - "Sweet Freesia" (?), pale red egg-shaped cherry
Vladyka - Pink heart

"First timers getting a second chance" tomatoes. These have been done once, didn't fare really well, but will do one more time. The tomato area will be in a different location this year. They include:

Marianna's Peace - didn't do well at all two years ago but that was when the tomatoes were in all-day brutal sun.
Mom's Paste - large red paste, rather wispy leaves. Didn't bear much last year but probably due to too much shade.
Super Sioux - Supposedly for dry, hot climates. Maybe too much shade last year.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:24 pm

A better question for me this year is what are you planning on growing again... which is Micro Tom and Rosy Finch among my commercial varieties. I am vacillating on Large Barred Boar. I didn't care for it much, it was too bland but DH and my friend liked it and want me to grow it again... IF I do I may put it in a bucket as both my plants last year were very short for a indet. Everything else are for the first time and a lot are from the MMMM Swap.

In the garden :
Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart
Gregoria's Altai
Frosted Green Doctors
Black & Red Boar
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye
Bleeding Heart
Painted Lady
Blonde Boar
The garden shelf will have
Florigold Basket
Shimofuri
My Bucket Brigade for this year is:
Pit Viper
Wherokowhai
Barrosa Fest
Mr Snow
Melon Ball
Premus
EM Champion
Silvery Fir Tree
Large Barred Boar - very short indet returning for second try
My micro tomato garden:
Rosy Finch - returning for a second try
Micro Tom - returning because I like their looks :)
Florida Petite
Vilma
Black Patio
Micro Gemma
Jochalos
Gold Pearl
Bunny Hop
Groovy Tunes
Inkspot
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Most of the varieties this year are new to me.

Cherry Falls
Koralik
Orange Jazz
Mat-Su Express
Daniel Burson
Big Cheef
Northern Lights
Malachite Box
EM Champion
Matt's Hornet
Ambrosia Orange
Sweet Aperitif

Ella NJ
Reactions:

Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:30 am

Hi, Orange jazz grow large tomatoes, mostly 10 oz to 18. Taste is good and shelf life as well good. May have some core that is woody, but that is a part to keep big tomato on the vine. I do not mind cutting it since tomatoes a quiet large and meaty. Big plant.
Mat-Su Express are on the 4 to 8 oz size. Sweet and tart balance taste. Great for salads or sandwiches. Really good producer. Can be growing in container. Plant is not huge. I grew it for 3 years now and it is on my list. Thanks to Marsha, who got the seeds originally from a nice Canadian grower. And the name is the first 3 letters of his name and the second two from his wife name: Mat-Su.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:31 pm

[mention]Ella NJ[/mention]
[mention]AKMark[/mention] bred Mat-Su Express. It's a cross between Brandywine and Bloody Butcher, I believe (I'm not sure which parent was the mother and which the father). He gave seeds out a few years ago on Tomatoville. I believe he gardens in Alaska in a greenhouse. He had been breeding other tomatoes, too. He seems to appreciate early tomatoes like Bloody Butcher, Early Girl F1, and Matina. I haven't seen him here much, so far, but he has an account.

It's interesting that there's also a Mat-Su Valley in Alaska. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the tomato.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:45 am

I have more new varieties than old, which, for me, is typical with tomatoes!

NEW Varieties

Cherries and Grapes
42 day Tomato (red cherry)
Annie's Singapore Grape
Cherry Brownies
Chocolate Cherries
Honeycomb Gold Cherry F1
Kazachka Red Grape
Kustengold Grape
Pinky Blast Compact Cherry
Weetang Shebang Gold Cherry
WOW! Sungold F1

Larger Varieties
Esmerelda Golisina
Golden Buddha
June Pink - Early
Louisiana All Season - Medium Red
Marizol Red? Gift
Ruth's Perfect
Santiago

And only two that were new last year, than I'm growing again, because the smaller Marion was very early, split resistant, and productive; though it did stop producing when the heat was above 95º, it recovered almost as fast as cherry types, since it's small. And Mountaneer Pride, while a milder flavor, was fairly split resistant, and disease resistant, as well as growing through the heat, and the last one that I picked! I'll see how these do this season.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Shule wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:08 am Here are some new tomatoes I'm thinking I'll probably grow:
Atkinson
AGP
Blush
Cherokee Carbon F1
Cherokee Chocolate
Cherokee Yellow
Church
Costoluto Florentino
Costoluto Genovese
Dinner Plate
Flaming Burst
Neves Azorean Red
Orange Jazz
Pink Bumble Bee
Purple Russian
Red Stuffer
Stump of the World
SunGold F1
Terhune
Various F2 tomatoes in the Sun series (a bunch of kinds)
Yellow Stuffer

By second attempts, do you mean ones that didn't turn out well the first time, or any we're growing for the second time?

I'm trying some again that produced last time, but I have hope they'll be more prolific. For instance Cosmic Eclipse had herbicide-like damage, but managed to live and produce with judicious and gradual pruning of the affected branches/suckers/leaves (it could do a lot better without herbicide-like damage, I believe). Chocolate Chestnut wasn't terribly prolific for me last year, but I hear it can be; so, I want to try it again (it tasted great). Black Cherry got a late start, but I want to try it again with closer to ideal conditions. I think Stick and Carbon could do better on a regrow. Egg Yolk had something strange going on with its development that made it have a late transplant, but it did fine; I want to try it again (for increased production and earlier maturity, yes, but mostly because it climbs without encouragement: I want to spread climbing genetics to other breeds). Sprite was prolific, but split a lot and was later than it was supposed to be (I want to see if that changes, but the real reason is because a relative wants it in the flower garden and likes the taste; it grew a very nice-looking plant).
Blush is a must grow.

Pink Bumble Bee too, it has thicker skin, and need to sit on the plant a little longer to get sweet. I remember the first few fruits aren't very sweet, but it get better later in the season. My seeds either have a cross or return to it's old trait, so it produces larger than typical fruit.

Stump of the World might be worth growing if you want a more prolific than Sudduth's Brandywine.

Yellow Stuffer is fun to grow, is prolific, and thick skin, so no pests attacking the fruit. Taste wise, obviously its nothing to write home about, a bit sour.

Cosmic Eclipse can be very productive.

Black Cherry is a favorite of mine, but I think there is some variation in quality among the seeds circulating out there. The ones sold by Tomato Growers or Tomatofest are the ones that perform well.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:03 pm

[mention]maxjohnson[/mention]
That's awesome that you've grown Yellow Stuffer. I haven't heard much about people growing it and Red Stuffer in years. My seeds for them are from one of my first trades. So, I've been wanting to grow them for a while now! I just kept scratching them off the list in favor of other new ones to try, for one reason or other. Are they really as firm as bell peppers?

Thanks for the information on the Black Cherry sources!

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:37 pm

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention]Honigsüsser Erlöser translates as "honeysweet savior". There are 2 other tomatoes translated from the German as Honey Sweet and Honey Savior. This may be a cross, or something?

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:16 am

[mention]Nan6b[/mention] , thanks for the translation. My little German dictionary mentioned "savior" but I wasn't sure about it so left it out. The seeds of this one came from the Carolyn seed distribution last spring so I have no idea if it's a cross.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:41 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:15 am Last year I had already planned the summer's tomatoes when I got seeds from Farmer Shawn's distribution of the Caroline collection. I did a few of those but this summer I'll be doing more, especially the heart tomatoes. I've never grown any of those before.

Honigsüsser Erlöser - "Honeysweet ___?__" , orange heart
Inzhir Rosovyi -"Pink Fig" pink pear-ribbed
King Kong - large red heart
Koroleva Rynka - "Market Queen ", red round
Süsse Friesin - "Sweet Freesia" (?), pale red egg-shaped cherry
Vladyka - Pink heart

"First timers getting a second chance" tomatoes. These have been done once, didn't fare really well, but will do one more time. The tomato area will be in a different location this year. They include:

Marianna's Peace - didn't do well at all two years ago but that was when the tomatoes were in all-day brutal sun.
Mom's Paste - large red paste, rather wispy leaves. Didn't bear much last year but probably due to too much shade.
Super Sioux - Supposedly for dry, hot climates. Maybe too much shade last year.
Marianna's Peace - There's an off-type possibly still making the rounds. I've heard it is a bit rough looking. The true MP should be relatively smooth. It's usually extremely meaty, having exceptional flavor in good weather.

Paulf
Reactions:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Several new to me varieties this year:

Roger's Best Black
A.H. Scorpii
Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top
Tiffen Menonite
Wisconsin 55 Gold
Livingston's Giant Oxheart
Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart

That is about one third of the entire garden to "new" tomatoes. I have space for more but right now I am staying at 20 plants.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:41 pm

Last year I grew Lucid Gem for the 1st time and thought it could have been better. We had a cooler summer last year so I'm trying it again this year to see if it improves in a more normal summer. It sure is a beautiful looking tomato.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:14 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:41 pm Marianna's Peace - There's an off-type possibly still making the rounds. I've heard it is a bit rough looking. The true MP should be relatively smooth. It's usually extremely meaty, having exceptional flavor in good weather.
Thanks for that observation on MP. The seed was sent to me by another gardener who had collected it. I will watch this year and pay attention to what it looks like.

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 pm

Shule wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:03 pm @maxjohnson
That's awesome that you've grown Yellow Stuffer. I haven't heard much about people growing it and Red Stuffer in years. My seeds for them are from one of my first trades. So, I've been wanting to grow them for a while now! I just kept scratching them off the list in favor of other new ones to try, for one reason or other. Are they really as firm as bell peppers?

Thanks for the information on the Black Cherry sources!
I don't think it's as firm was bellpepper, but it's sturdy as far as tomato goes. The taste is more on the tart side. I did made stuffing with it.

You may want to consider Zapotec (one of my favorite) and Florentine Beauty instead, although they have smaller cavity.

These were grown in poor quality Florida soil with nematodes, I probably would have significantly better result now in Ohio, maybe better flavor too.
img_20160423_155901_yellow stuffer.jpg
img_20160503_201200_yellow stuffer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:00 pm

[mention]maxjohnson[/mention]
I've grown Zapotec before. :) And Pink Stuffer (AKA Tlacalula Ribbed), as well as Yellow Ruffled (AKA Yellow Ruffed). I tried growing Pink Accordion, too, but it was a cross. Zapotec was far more prolific than Pink Stuffer for me in 2016, but Pink Stuffer was earlier and had a stronger flavor that I much preferred; the fruits looked the same, though. Yellow Ruffled was all around good, except it was later than I might have liked (possibly earlier than Zapotec, but I'm not sure; I save the seeds earlier, anyhow).

I haven't tried Mushroom Basket.

My Pink Accordion cross produced well, and tasted good, but it was a medium pink plum that wasn't hollow (it looked and tasted just like a Pink Russian Trifle cross I had the same year). I also seemed to get a pleated fruit on the same supposedly Pink According plant, oddly, but I may have tracked the vines to the wrong plant on accident, even though I checked a few times and thought I was confident about it (so, it might have been Pink Stuffer or Zapotec, which were growing by it). I saved seeds from it and the plum-shaped fruits separately, but I haven't grown any of them, yet. If the cross were earlier, I probably would have tried it again by now, since I did like it.

I got a cross from something that I think is Zapotec. It wasn't a stuffer, though, but it looked like one; it wasn't hollow, and was smaller than Zapotec.

mama_lor
Reactions:

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:16 am

I'm trying Crimson Crush F1 this year. A new variety popular now in UK due to supposed late blight resistance and good taste. I haven't had late blight in a while, but it's good to see if the rest of the characteristics are good.

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:38 pm

Maybe I can find one new multiflora to grow this year. I have grown Rebel Alliance.

Return to “General Discussion”