Garden Hose to end all Garden Hoses

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Garden Hose to end all Garden Hoses

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm

I am tired of dropping $40 or $50 on what allege to be 'never break', 'never kink', etc. hoses every few years. These aren't cheap and every hose ends up bulging at the end at some point and needs to be repaired or the reel ends end up leaking, etc. My latest is an Apex NeverKink Heavy Duty.....but alas it has been repaired 3 times and now the brass end is leaking on the reel side.

Has anyone found a long-lasting, hose that doesn't kink, doesn't bulge and break at the end and lasts and lasts and lasts. I'd rather spend more money for something that lasts for 10 years than dealing with fixing crappy hoses, replacing them every few years. Specifically I am looking for 5/8" diameter, 100 foot length. It seems maybe I need to try rubber, contractor grade hoses.

Thanks!

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Garden Hose to end all Garden Hoses

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 pm

I know where you're coming from! I noticed that the 3 year old hose I have now is incredibly hard, and barely flexible any longer! Not decaying, just not flexible, and it has been relatively hot here, which didn't help - almost like handling irrigation tubing! I have to find something that won't turn this way in just a few years.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:48 pm

jmsieglaff wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm Has anyone found a long-lasting, hose that doesn't kink, doesn't bulge and break at the end and lasts and lasts and lasts.
This is a GREAT question!!!
~ Patti ~

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:39 pm

It's not hose, but gray plastic electrical conduit will move water just fine. It has uv inhibitors, unlike pvc pipe, but you can still use pvc fittings for elbows.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:45 am

Good luck, I fight with my hose every time I have to use it. It’s a kinker.

I had a great one at my old house several years ago. Supple, didn’t kink or leak, nice fittings. Of course, the one time the son mows the yard he runs over it with the mower. I guess he taught me not to ask him to mow. Could never find a hose like it again. Solid very Light green color, matte finish, no stripes, wish I could remember the brand name.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:40 am

My old hands hurt when I have to struggle with heavy hoses. I put down a heavy hose to carry water from the back of the house to the front where I have attached a snake hose to the end for easy handling. Helps my hands and takes lass space (in a bucket out of the sun) when not in use. I don't care if I have to replace it every few years for the ease in handling it gives me.

Barb_FL
Reactions:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:52 am

I finally had a hose I liked, 100', not too heavy, didn't kink, had it over 2 years and then this year the water smelled like chemicals for the first 3 gallons coming out. Well, that can't be good so didn't use it. I tried several times over the season to see if it was just from not being used over the hot summer.

I have a 3 way Orbit faucet timer that has 3 hoses attached so I don't have to move them too much.

What I did find, is that if you release all the water from the nozzle, the cheapers hoses don't get the little balloons that cause them to split.

Kurt
Reactions:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 am

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Kurt wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 am I went to these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminu ... e&ie=UTF-8
Kurt, is there a specific brand you have? How long have you had yours?

Harry Cabluck
Reactions:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:32 pm

https://www.waterrightinc.com/
Have two of their well-made hoses that have lasted several years. Have not tried their coiled hoses. Their flexible straight hoses are darnfine, do not kink and have well-machined fittings.
Refrain from calculating the total number of poultry...before the process of incubation has fully materialized.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:39 pm

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Continental ... /100676339

Nothing fancy, but I've had zero problems with these hoses after over three years in the Hawaii sun. No leaks, no cracks or bulges, still flexible. Don't know where OP is at, or what cold would do, but that's my two cents.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am

Harry Cabluck wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:32 pm https://www.waterrightinc.com/
Have two of their well-made hoses that have lasted several years. Have not tried their coiled hoses. Their flexible straight hoses are darnfine, do not kink and have well-machined fittings.
This is the kind of info I was looking for! A $200 price tag (I need 5/8", 100 foot) is :shock: but good to know they last!

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 am

Mark_Thompson wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:39 pm https://www.homedepot.com/p/Continental ... /100676339

Nothing fancy, but I've had zero problems with these hoses after over three years in the Hawaii sun. No leaks, no cracks or bulges, still flexible. Don't know where OP is at, or what cold would do, but that's my two cents.
There is a 100' version of the same brand (although it's red-ish instead of black) that I'm considering. Great to hear this one works well for you.

(I am in Wisconsin, but my failures always occur in the summer, never in the cool times of year.)

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 am

The state of the world is just appallingly sad. This is the hose you are looking for.
08.JPG
09.JPG
Go back to the early 70s and buy one of these. A heavy duty hose from Sears. Leave it outside for fifty years, drained and hung like that from Oct to April, under full line pressure the other 6 months of the year. Cut off the end and replace the fittings, as I did, when they finally get chewed up a bit or start to weep at the end 10 years back. Then replace the replacement fittin that made in China, a few years later when the hard water quickly erodes that junky material.

This high tech stuff was perfected long ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am

JRinPA wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 am The state of the world is just appallingly sad. This is the hose you are looking for.

Go back to the early 70s and buy one of these. A heavy duty hose from Sears. Leave it outside for fifty years, drained and hung like that from Oct to April, under full line pressure the other 6 months of the year. Cut off the end and replace the fittings, as I did, when they finally get chewed up a bit or start to weep at the end 10 years back. Then replace the replacement fittin that made in China, a few years later when the hard water quickly erodes that junky material.

This high tech stuff was perfected long ago.
If only I had a working DeLorean

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:03 pm

My Sears Craftsman is about 60 years old. Anyone can pry it out of my cold dead hands when I'm done with it.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:13 pm

I hate the fake plated brass that comes out of China.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:19 pm

Dramm makes a really quality garden hose. they are rubber but heavy as sin. not something I want to pick up and carry around. My greenhouse supplier in Applecreek Ohio (Yoders Produce) carries them. nhot sure where else they are carried at but probably not big box stores.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 am

If a delorean, I would ghost ride it off a cliff after the back jump. Then buy all the hoses I want at my leisure. But no they won't be lightweight, that's true.

If not a delorean, then some get some yard sale fashion wear. I don't go to many myself but I will brake for hoses. I found a "sear's best" that is great quality at a yard sale. The font on it looks circa 1990 to me. They had a few, they said, but someone had already bought the "newer ones". It is black and only 50 ft. A bit too short but still. Checked it and drained it and it is waiting on deck in the shed. It looked brand new; I think it was garage kept. Found another old sears one for the front yard that is 75ft, that one was in use in a long chain for a long time...someone was moving to an apartment, come take this stuff. Another ugly old green one that won't burst. I actually got all three of their linked together hoses, but two were newer stuff. One is translucent and is now in use for drip line, the other was burst and got cut up for other uses.

Even the made in US stuff, modern make, it might not last 50 years, because engineering is so hampered now by chemical regs and intricate financials.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 pm

Chemicals you say?

I've been drinking from my 60 year old Craftsman for 50+ years. I do let quite a lot of water pass through before taking a sip, though. There's probably more chemicals entering the hose, than coming off of the hose, here. A few hundred yards down the road, there's going to be built a granular activated carbon filtration plant for the PFAS contamination in the city well water. The contamination site is next to the brook where I've been drinking out of for about the same 50 years. I did stop drinking that water when the beavers arrived. If I grow a third arm, it will help immensely with packing bubble mailers for the swap. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”