Things that aren't worth growing

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Pippin
Reactions:

Re: Things that aren't worth growing

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:08 pm

[mention]TXTravis[/mention] I love your discussion starters as you tend to take some new strange perspective on a topic that most of us would not even consider. Who wants to discuss things not worth growing? Most of us here are still list things that we love to grow. :D

Spinach is definitely not worth growing in north as it just starts blooming in long day. Is this because of lack of suitable varities for my lattitude, probably yes. I do grow a lot of New zealand spinach, it is comparable to asparagus in my opinion if you just know how to prepare it. For example, boiling just 3 minutes and eating with noodles is a summer treat for me.

I love growing things for food. If I had time for a garden, it would grow mostly edible plants as ornamentals. Everything is worth growing at least one time. Second and third try is just fair. Often the growing is not the tricky part but to learn how to use them.

I had a change to travel in China for business and tasted okra prepared the Asian style for the first time in my life. Green, slightly cooked young okras were so delicious that I have been trying to grow myself too. I absolutely loved red okra, some green varieties were little bit too slimy to me. What kind of trauma you have had with the okra that you hate it so much?
BR,
Pippin

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:19 pm

Texgal wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:31 pm
Harry Cabluck wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:09 pm
TxGal, try broadcast planting carrots after the tomato crop is finished. Carrots wintered over despite the recent snowmaggeddon.
Thanks @Harry Cabluck , I will try that for my next round of carrots.
I agree okra takes up a lot of room. Grew a few plants of the Jambalaya variety last year. Grew 3-4 feet and put out lots of okra. Doubling up on them this year.
I mix carrot seed and sand in a large garlic powder jar with holes in the top and broadcast the sand which carries the seed with it. You can see where the sand goes, but it's hard to see the carrot seed. Lightly sprinkle the sand with water for a few days until the sand disappears. That also covers the seed with soil preventing it from drying out. I do it in the fall for spring carrots.

TXTravis
Reactions:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:05 am

Pippin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:08 pm What kind of trauma you have had with the okra that you hate it so much?
My parents loved it, and made me eat it even though I thought (and still think) it's gross. Slimy, spiny, nasty tasting--all BAD. I had to mix it with other things on my plate just to get it down. I try it again every 2-3 years just to make sure, and I still do not like it.
A seed not planted is guaranteed not to grow.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:03 am

Sliced lengthwise, seasoned and baked in a single layer in a hot oven guaranteed no slime okra. Here’s a recipe.
https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/oven-roasted-okra/
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “General Discussion”