School me on eggplants

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
SQWIB
Reactions:

Re: School me on eggplants

Thu May 13, 2021 10:47 am

Ginger that Eggplant is incredible!

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 10:54 am

Very interesting post [mention]SQWIB[/mention] sq. I never knew you could dehydrate and make it into flour. What do you do with eggplant flour?
- Marsha

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am

SQWIB wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:47 am Ginger that Eggplant is incredible!
Thank you. It is a huge plant, and really cranking them out. Seems to be exactly like your gistada, even the thorns on the cap, except larger. Is Gistada a very firm white fleshed one with no bitterness?
- Marsha

LK2020
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 11:03 am

When are you opening your restaurant, @SQWIB ??? I'm there! Everything looks absolutely scrumptious.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 11:47 am

Ginger2778 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:54 am Very interesting post @SQWIB sq. I never knew you could dehydrate and make it into flour. What do you do with eggplant flour?
I used it as a thickener in some dishes, but its not worth the effort, once dehydrated, the cubes are like hunks of wood.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 11:53 am

Ginger2778 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am
Thank you. It is a huge plant, and really cranking them out. Seems to be exactly like your gistada, even the thorns on the cap, except larger. Is Gistada a very firm white fleshed one with no bitterness?
The Listada Di Gandia was never bitter and to be honest, we haven't had any bitterness in the Black Beauties either.
I only Grow BB's and Rositas now.
I prefer the Rosita over the BB mainly due to size, it's perfect for a few decent servings. I keep on growing the BB's I guess because it's something I have had my whole life.
When we were young we would cut school and "borrow" a Black Beauty from a small farm around the corner, go to a buddy's house and fry some up to munch on.
Good memories.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 11:56 am

LK2020 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:03 am When are you opening your restaurant, @SQWIB ??? I'm there! Everything looks absolutely scrumptious.

Thanks, the Eggplant Fries were actually awesome.
You press them in between some paper towels and heavy Pyrex dishes, change out the paper towels a few times, flour, then fry.
They're great for dipping in something like a Blooming Onion Sauce.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 12:30 pm

SQWIB wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:53 am
Ginger2778 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 am
The Listada Di Gandia was never bitter and to be honest, we haven't had any bitterness in the Black Beauties either.
I only Grow BB's and Rositas now.
I prefer the Rosita over the BB mainly due to size, it's perfect for a few decent servings. I keep on growing the BB's I guess because it's something I have had my whole life.
When we were young we would cut school and "borrow" a Black Beauty from a small farm around the corner, go to a buddy's house and fry some up to munch on.
Good memories.
Oops, sorry, I should have looked back to get the name right. Oops! But you figured it out. 🙂
Those Rositas are so beautiful.
- Marsha

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 1:52 pm

[mention]SQWIB[/mention] I see you do a lot of things that I do with eggplants, including drying them, and making flour with them! Not many people do that.

I tried Rosita for the first time last season - it looked a lot like Neon, and I was trying to find a replacement, since it's off the market. Unfortunately, I got very few fruits, and both plants were wiped out by some disease, while my other varieties were untouched by it! And I never have problems with eggplants, except flea beetles. Live and learn...
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Gardadore
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Fabulous mouthwatering recipes! Would love the recipe for Rollatini!

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm

I forgot to mention that I use that eggplant flour in a number of Indian flatbreads, in place of some of the atta flour. And the dried cubes I use in many dishes, in the off season. I soak them in hot water first, for a few hours, and usually cook them in the Instant Pot, in things like curries, to cook them soft. In things like that Mexican dish I made a couple days ago, or a stir fry, when they won't get much more cooking, I stick the soaking container in the MW, and cook it 4 or 5 minutes, which softens it enough.

FWIW, 1 lb of EP dehydrates to about 1.45 oz., ±.1 oz.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

mama_lor
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 2:36 am

The easiest two dishes to start with that have eggplant as the main ingredient are melanzana alla funghetta and yu xiang qie zi (this one needs however a bunch of ingredients you probably don't have around the house). The trick with eggplant is to be well cooked. So the pieces should be transparent and soft, partly cooked eggplant has a very questionable taste imo.
Which is why some eggplants are better suited than others for some dishes, the harder fruit tends to take longer to cook (white eggplants I would say are on the hard side) but also has a different texture when it is finally cooked (more thick creamy).

worth1
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 5:39 am

I made fried eggplant years ago in the chow hall and people thought it was meat.
They gobbled it down. :lol:
It consisted of an egg wash and bread crumbs.
Must have made a thousand of the things.
And to think I was only 18 years old.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 6:32 am

pepperhead212 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm I forgot to mention that I use that eggplant flour in a number of Indian flatbreads, in place of some of the atta flour. And the dried cubes I use in many dishes, in the off season. I soak them in hot water first, for a few hours, and usually cook them in the Instant Pot, in things like curries, to cook them soft. In things like that Mexican dish I made a couple days ago, or a stir fry, when they won't get much more cooking, I stick the soaking container in the MW, and cook it 4 or 5 minutes, which softens it enough.

FWIW, 1 lb of EP dehydrates to about 1.45 oz., ±.1 oz.
I never thought about dehydrating eggplant. This can be the answer to eggplant overload. About how big are the pieces you initially put into the dehydrator?

mama_lor
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 8:00 am

If you use the whole grilled eggplant for baba ganoush or eggplant caviar, the straight grilled eggplant meat can be frozen with great success and add the stuff after. I might even say it improves, since by defreezing you lose more water which concentrates the taste. Not as efficient as drying of course since it still takes place in the freezer, but this is how I preserve most of my eggplant.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 9:06 am

Gardadore wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm Fabulous mouthwatering recipes! Would love the recipe for Rollatini!
Meat version

4 servings

• 1 eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 10 slices prosciutto
  • 1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 pound angel hair pasta

Directions Prep 15 m, Cook 30 m , Ready in 45 m
  • Dip the eggplant slices in egg, then coat with bread crumbs. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant on each side until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • Spread a thin layer of ricotta cheese onto each slice of eggplant. Place a slice of prosciutto onto each one. Roll up tightly, and place seam side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour spaghetti sauce over the rolls, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
  • Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
  • While the eggplant rolls are baking, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the angel hair pasta, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender. Drain. Serve eggplant rolls and sauce over pasta.

Veggie version
Ingredients
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder, divided
  • 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
  • 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 (28 ounce) jar tomato pasta sauce, divide

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • In a shallow mixing bowl combine 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. In a separate, shallow dish or plate, pour the flour.
  • Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Dredge eggplant slices in flour, then in egg mixture and fry slices 2 or 3 at a time in hot oil. Place fried slices on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
  • In a large bowl combine ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, remaining 1 cup Parmesan, remaining 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 egg, parsley and spinach; mix well.
  • Spread about 1/3 of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place about 2 tablespoons of spinach mixture in the center of each eggplant slice and roll securely; place in prepared pan. Pour remaining pasta sauce over eggplant rolls and top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 am

pepperhead212 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:52 pm @SQWIB I see you do a lot of things that I do with eggplants, including drying them, and making flour with them! Not many people do that.

I tried Rosita for the first time last season - it looked a lot like Neon, and I was trying to find a replacement, since it's off the market. Unfortunately, I got very few fruits, and both plants were wiped out by some disease, while my other varieties were untouched by it! And I never have problems with eggplants, except flea beetles. Live and learn...
Curious as to how you process into flower, I used a coffee grinder and it was rough, like I said it was like wood, I may try shaving with a cheese grater and dry it like that.
Would like to incorporate it into my cooking a bit this fall.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am

[mention]SQWIB[/mention] I have a Vitamix, and I use it to grind eggplant, dried butternut, and many of all those grains and legumes I have into flour. I only grind a couple of cups at a time of most things, and it only takes 45-60 sec to grind. Much longer, and it ends up like cornstarch!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri May 14, 2021 10:17 am

GoDawgs wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:32 am I never thought about dehydrating eggplant. This can be the answer to eggplant overload. About how big are the pieces you initially put into the dehydrator?
I cut the eggplant into slightly larger pieces than I do when cooking it fresh, as it seems to shrink, but not really come back to its original size. Real skinny ones I just cut down the center, and then into 1" pieces, while ones that are a little fatter I quarter, then cut into pieces, depending on how large the quarters are. If cutting very large ones (don't grow many of those types), I'd probably shoot for 1¼" cubes.

Something I noticed the first time this year - I grew Rosa Bianca for the first time, and the skin of the dried cubes seemed tough, in some of the recipes that aren't cooked for long. It didn't grow as well for me as my three favs - neon, ichiban, and hari - so I won't grow it again, but if I did, I would peel it, before drying.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Gardadore
Reactions:

Tue May 18, 2021 6:11 am

Thanks for the Rollatini recipe. Can’t wait to try them this summer!!!

Return to “General Discussion”