Garden Hose connector replacements

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
ponyexpress
Reactions:

Garden Hose connector replacements

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:00 am

One can replace a hose end using those new connectors that come with band clamps but I'm never happy with the clamps. They often get loose and form leaks. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

I did see the Dramm has their own hose & crimper system where you can put a permanent connection. Expensive but high quality. See:

ColorStorm Hose Crimper Fittings

ColorStore Hose Crimper
Bulk Water Hose

Having the ability to put a permanent crimp on a damaged hose would be useful in my opinion. I would also be receptive to a better band clamp that a plumber use on pipes that have a stainless steel sheath with screws.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Garden Hose connector replacements

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:28 am

So is this an option? It has clamps, but is so much more affordable.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-3-8-in- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Yes, it's for an air compressor. But I'm sure you could find the right dimensions
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 am

Rockoe10 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:28 am So is this an option?
Not sure how that's different from a standard garden hose repair connector.
I have issues with these because of the clamps. Unless you tape the clamp, the extra part sticks out. The clamp itself can work itself loose and start leaking.

My issue might be that the inside diameter of a hose can vary from brand to brand. I should check this out sometimes. I think the hose barb part will be very difficult to insert on some hoses and too easy on other hoses. I think you really want to find a hose barb that is very snug inside the hose.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:55 pm

Half inch cpvc pipe will fit inside 5/8" hose, if that helps to hold the clamped part.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:34 pm

I buy all my brass garden hose fittings at McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/garden-hose-fi ... -type~ght/

They are better quality than what I can get locally.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:56 pm

zeuspaul wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:34 pm I buy all my brass garden hose fittings at McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/garden-hose-fi ... -type~ght/

They are better quality than what I can get locally.
I have bought stuff from them before but didn’t know they sold garden hose fittings.
Cole_Robbie wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:55 pm Half inch cpvc pipe will fit inside 5/8" hose, if that helps to hold the clamped part.
So you put that inside the the hose and then the garden hose fitting inside that?

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:16 am

ponyexpress wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:56 pm
Cole_Robbie wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:55 pm Half inch cpvc pipe will fit inside 5/8" hose, if that helps to hold the clamped part.
So you put that inside the the hose and then the garden hose fitting inside that?
I use hose clamps. It works if you are using the hose, but will leak if there is pressure to it and no flow.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:50 am

Try looking at hoselink.cpm.au, you may find it of interest

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:31 pm

could not get the hoselink.cpm.au. McMaster Carr looks reasonable price for quality.
This is such a problem. It's often more expensive to fix a hose than it is to buy a new one. And less likely to get a good fix.
One thing I have read is that you need a really good cut of your hose so it's flush with the fitting before clamp is tightened. Yet this seems difficult to achieve, even with good quality rubber hose. The only tool I have that will cut hose afaik is metal shears, and it doesn't always cut readily, then you end up with a less even end cut. The other type of hose (I have many of) is a composite layered wall, and are even tougher to cut and very hard to do it straight.
I have a pile of hoses with minor leaks that could be restored to use if installing new connectors was a straightforward process and reasonably priced.
I did manage to find enough workable hoses for my needs (or most) this summer but it isn't ideal either with some gushing leaks when certain parts of the system are turned on. I can't leave the tap on, must turn it off every time after watering, because there is so much leaking it would run my pump way too much. And if I had another couple of 50 ft hoses hooked up, it would reach the potato garden and give me some options to nurture that along.
You can't have too many hoses, but if I can't fix these I will have to send them to the dump. :(
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:19 pm

I fixed one hose with a short 1/2 ,steel pipe nipple.
Been that way for many years and no leaks.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Sometimes the cheap hoses are easier to patch with a scrap of pipe than the more heavy duty ones, because those often have two raised ribs inside to prevent kinking, and the ribs prevent a round pipe from making a good seal.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:26 pm

Whwoz wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:50 am Try looking at hoselink.cpm.au, you may find it of interest
That should have been hoselink.com.au folks. Sorry for not double checking.

Return to “General Discussion”