Seed Starting Tray

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
AZGardener
Reactions:

Seed Starting Tray

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 pm

My husband was at Lowe's this morning and saw these seed starting trays
and send me these pix.
They are new to me. The bottom of the cells are soft silicone which
should make it easier to remove seedlings for transplant.
SeedStartTray1.jpg
attachment=0]SeedStartTray2.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Re: Seed Starting Tray

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Might be a nice idea, making popping the plantlets out easier, but I wonder about the long run if the 2 materials would separate from each other? I still have loads of the big trays I got from the nursery that went out of business.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:31 pm

I am going to give one a try. I hope they last longer than the flimsy trays I've used in the past. I'll post my experience
good or bad as the season goes along.

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Can't hurt to try them. I just got lucky before on the deal and have more than I can probably ever use up of the 1020's. Let us all know how they do for you.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm

I was given a seed-starting tray when I attended a seed-starting class. I've never seen the exact same try anywhere. My beloved tray is getting old and some of the holes are breaking away from the tray and I would love to get the exact same thing.
It's 6 holes x 17 holes. The holes don't taper very much towards the bottom, so they hold more dirt than some others. Anybody know where to get this?

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 pm

I never used those trays that have a hundred+ cells until now. They are a pain to work with. From now on I rather buy big cells only.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:55 pm

I saw some little silicone ones on amazon the other day. Always nice to imagine something might last longer and be worth the switch. I've been looking and not finding much in the way of big, deeper cells that are designed to fit 1020 tray. I will probably end up using whatever pots I have, but it'll be a challenge not to have too much wasted space.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:50 pm

I have so many pots I don't think I will ever have to buy another one! :o The problem is finding the ones I want, when I need them. :roll: Trays, yes, but not pots.

I saw those silicon things in a catalog, and my first thought was also about the two sections separating. Time will tell.

I noticed plant pots were on the list of things "not to recycle" in our new trash collection directions. They used to recycle them, but I think that it is getting more costly to recycle, so there are more and more things being taken off the list. So I try to re-use as many as I can, though some get cracked on the first use.
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:17 am

Bower, several of the nursery supply places have many larger cells that fir the 1020's, you should give them a look see to check if any meet up with what you are looking for.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm

This was in my inbox today. Bower, I don't know if this is quite what you are looking for. They are nice deep cells but not made for your tray. I think that they look very promising for growing nice rooted seedlings.
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/rootraine ... tent=roots
~ Patti ~

Gthegardener
Reactions:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:05 pm

I just bought new heavy duty trays, 128 cell trays, 72 cell trays and 3.5” pots on greenhousemegastore.com it was so affordable and the quality is definitely there! If you need a relatively inexpensive or mass quantity place to buy from (I’m expecting to have about 720 seedlings this year) they are your guy!
“Life begins the day you start a garden” - Chinese proverb

SQWIB
Reactions:

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am

This is crazy, I can not find one single reference to these silicone cells on Burpee or anywhere for that matter, maybe this is some kind of Marketing Trial or something?

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:42 am

SQWIB wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am This is crazy, I can not find one single reference to these silicone cells on Burpee or anywhere for that matter, maybe this is some kind of Marketing Trial or something?
That's what I'm beginning to think. I've only seen them at Lowe's and there were just a few for sale.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:47 am

I just potted up the seedlings from these hybrid-plastic/silicone seed cell-tray thingies.
I'm pretty happy with them so far. The seedlings did well in them, they were easy to remove when
potting up, and they cleaned up nicely. I'll report back if there's anything new to update.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 pm

I ordered the last set of two silicon six-packs from sili-seedlings.com four weeks ago. The package has been sitting in the post office as I went away for three weeks after ordering them. I opened them today and was most impressed. They are the same size as a regular plastic 6 pack but all silicon. The vendor told me he cannot get any more at the moment because they are made in China which has stopped shipping them because of the virus and probablyly a closed factory. I would love to get some more but will hope for the best and at least try these out.

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Nan6b wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm I was given a seed-starting tray when I attended a seed-starting class. I've never seen the exact same try anywhere. My beloved tray is getting old and some of the holes are breaking away from the tray and I would love to get the exact same thing.
It's 6 holes x 17 holes. The holes don't taper very much towards the bottom, so they hold more dirt than some others. Anybody know where to get this?
nan, this sounds like it might be a nursery tray rather than a greenhouse tray. most of our greenhouse plug trays are twice as many cells long as they are wide. so normally a plug tray would have 6 cells wide and 12 long for a 72 tray... they go from 5x10 for a 50 plug tray clear up to a 16x 32 tray for 512 cells.... which is tiny.

Return to “General Discussion”